Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SA-1000 and SA-300 stereo stage amps

Jazz+

Who has tried the little Roland SA-1000 or SA-300 stereo stage amp?

The head and subwoofer each weigh 25 pounds.

Two tweeter speakers

Two 6 1/2" speakers

One 12" subwoofer speaker

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-300/specs.html

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/reckb/cabinet/brand_r/r9_sa300_1.jpg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very cool. Probably too expensive for me, though..

Being 'modular', it should be a breeze to carry.

I guess it probably can function without the lower module, the 12" woofer. Dual 6"+tweeter can be sufficient for some applications - acoustic rehearsals, or playing an acoustic gig.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

2 tweeters (16 cm each) and hopefully not the same as the ones in the KC-350 or KC-550

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The new look and the sub-woofer gained 2 pounds:

http://www.roland.com/products/com/SA-1000/images/top_L.jpg

SA-1000 head :

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-1000/images/image_02_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-1000/images/image_03_L.jpg

SA-300 head :

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-300/images/image_04_L.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-300/images/image_03_L.jpg

I'm checking out one of these today. I believe the place has a SA300. I doubt it would be loud enough for my organ (maybe the sub would be good for low end?) but it seems like a pretty good acoustic piano amp. One poster said that he played in a jazz trio and found the volume not loud enough. Hope not! My KC350 does an alright job in that context.

I'll let you guys know later.

B.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

This is the sort of thing I often wish for but never expect to see. Too bad Roland is building it. I can honestly say I have never had a good listening experience with a Roland keyboard amp. Maybe this time.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

From the Roland web site, they say the SA1000 is 'optimized for digital pianos and keyboards'. The SA300 has some vocal-friendly features like more mic inputs, with phantom power. Other than that, they look similar. I wonder if they sound the same?

I'm skeptical as well - my KC350 is serviceable but definitely not hi - fi. I'll see today though. An article on roland's website detailed it was great for small to medium sized gigs mostly acoustic.

Since I want something for organ and piano (though not at the same time), I'm thinking of the KP500sn as the only combo amp that might work for both applications. The $1695 MSRP (!) and long production delays are not good.

If that doesn't work I'm either going Leslie (speakeasy flatpack?) or 3 way speakers - A-Groove, Acme's (which lower rhodes says isn't very loud or great for Acoustic piano), or maybe those Speakeasy 3 ways.

Has anybody tried the speakeasy 3 ways?

B.

B.

www.brianho.net

I don't wear IEMs all the time, mostly when it's loud. I am always interested in nicer sounding more portable stereo systems.

I think burningbusch could comment, I thought he owned a SA-300.

Interesting

Looks like it might be a move in the right direction from Roland. Hopefully it doesn't sound as craptastic as the KC series. I think I might need to figure out an excuse to go audition one of these, maybe have them hook a RD700GX up to it...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I bet they use similar components as in their KC series.

I bet they use similar components as in their KC series.
You're probably right. It would be nice if someone would make a truly great keyboard amplifier, and it would make sense that Roland might have a little upper hand over a lot of other smaller manufacturers, but they just don't seem to have a clue. If they claim these units are 'optimized' for DP's and such and they end up sounding as bad as the KCs. or even not as good as an average powered monitor, much less a great one, then I think we can safely ignore any future amplification offerings from Roland.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

( Acme's which lower rhodes says isn't very loud or great for Acoustic piano),

quote]

Just to clarify - I think I said that the B-1's sound good (which they do) just maybe not to the audiophile hype they sometimes get. They sound better than anything comparable to them but their volume is a concern. I have not had a chance to audition the Accugrooves but you could get four Acme B-1's for a shade less than a pair of AG Tri112L's.

I was at GC today, and plugged the 700GX into the only thing around, a KC 350. I wish I had brought my headphones. For the first time, I truly hear how craptacular those amps sound. I'm really sorry.

I hope for everyone's sake the SA series is MUCH better. They should be, for that price.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Although I have never played through either it seems like conceptually the SA-300/1000 is pretty much the same as the Traynor K4 except that the Traynor comes in one piece. Just from reading their respective manufacturers propaganda I would be more willing to take a flyer on the K4. Do any of you own one?

I tried the SA300 today at a store. They just unboxed a 700gx and they had a KC550 and a KC150 "stereo linked" together. However, they had it connected only MONO to the KC150. Weird!!

The SA300 was connected to a Phantom and they let me unhook it and bring it to the 700gx. First impressions : IT'S LIGHT!! I was able to unhook both pieces and bring them easily to the 700 gx. Connecting the unit to the gx was a no brainer.

I used the expressive piano and supreme piano first. It was definitely playable but I felt like the treble needed to increased. When I did increase it on the amp, there was a lot of hiss from the unit. Increasing it on the RD made it sound much better w/o the hiss.

The "expander" button made a big difference in sound.

The unit is not quiet but not screaming loud. I could see using it for jazz gigs but not crazy rock gigs.

I tried the gx's organ patches and the lows weren't great. A little muddy in my opinion. Sometime next week I'll try the C1 w/ it.

Drum rhythm patches sounded clear though.

Next, I mono connected the 700gx to the KC550. ONE WORD : YUCK!! Back to the SA300....=)

Bottom line, it's a pretty nice amp. The pros include awesome portability, stereo effect, and light years ahead of the other kc line. I'm still not sold on the "hi-fi" factor of the amp and it's probably not loud enough for a lot of my gigs since I've switched to mainly organ trios. The cost was $1000 so it's about the same price as the KP200s. I played a 200 months ago and from what I remembered, this had a more balanced sound and it was easier to move than the KP.

I'm not purchasing the amp unless I find it's light years ahead of the KP500sn. A 3 way PA probably sounds much better but then again, there are a lot of things to move.

I would have played more but two kids started to play e-drums. The mom came around and was oblivious to how much they were doing. Thanks mom! lol

I'll come back and try the C1 w/ it.

Just my .02.

www.brianho.net

Thanks bhodaway for the review. It sounds just like what I need: light wieght/portalbe, that sounds better than the roland KC line. I don't need the best sounding system out there or lots of volume. I need a amp for quiter/medium solo and duos-keys and vocals. I feel like my current system does good for loud gigs and has good stereo seperation but like I said it's a lot of work to setup/tear down... Right now I'm trying to descide between the Tryanor k4, Roland SA 300, Motion 200 or 100 or JBL or EV speakers.

would you mind telling us where you tried out the SA 300. I can only special order them.

So I'm trying to decide between

The Ev's seem to be the most versatile. At about 36 lbs you could carry one in each hand and you'd have an amp for all volumes - loud and soft.

I TRIED the Roland at a place in Northern California called "Guitar showcase." They're really nice and they have a roland "store."

Again, I thought the hi's didn't wow me w/ the SA but dang was it easy to use and setup. It also had that hiss when you turn it up loud. If you do vocals, it seems like a no brainer to use the amp w/ the feedback control thing.

Isn't it hard to not have to buy an amp w/o hearing it? I wish I could hear the Ev's, Accugroove's, and kp500sn all in person w/ my actual keyboard.

Good luck!

www.brianho.net

I bought the Roland at a place in Northern California called "Guitar showcase." They're really nice and they have a roland "store."

Again, I thought the hi's didn't wow me w/ the SA but dang was it easy to use and setup. It also had that hiss when you turn it up loud. If you do vocals, it seems like a no brainer to use the amp w/ the feedback control thing.

Is't it hard to not have to buy an amp w/o hearing it? I wish I could hear the Ev's, Accugroove's, and kp500sn all in person w/ my actual keyboard.

So bhodaway, you bought the SA 300?

Yes it is hard buying something without hearing it first. I found a guy in town to order me the Traynor k4 but if don't buy it he wants to charge me the retrun freight.

Archived