Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

taking Jazz too seriously

delirium

As always, it's both feeling and theory and to stretch my "both", it is technical study as well.

Six blind brothers were washing the family elephant

Each had a different description of what an elephant was shaped like.

Using analogy, the one washing the trunk said a tree, the one on the tail said snake

I forgot the details

The answer is all of the above, not dichotomy

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't study music, you feel it.

I'd like to see you "feel" your way through Brahms or Rachmaninov, or a 'meaningless' solo on "I Got Rhythm" in the key of B major.

"Knowledge must lead intuition". - Bill Evans

Delirium "felt" his name here, very on target, you must admit.

Ditto on that jsaras + :thu:

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Talking of Kenny Barron, he was another guy whose solos I transcribed a little 10-12 years back. In particular I transcribed his rhodes solo on Jimmy Owens "Do it to it" and it was something of an ephiphany for me as it showed me connecting extended chord tones in runs... in fact I still use one run of his to this day ;) I'm still no master of that though...

Brilliant soloist and very creative... I recommend all his work that I've heard esp with Lateef, Ed Thigpen and even Jon Lucien.

I'd also recommend looking at the transcription for Herbies Chameleon rhodes solo.. some of those outside runs he does are what modern jazz (esp on a lot of jazz electronica) is all about....

Shouldn't a musician understand music more than a listener? If not, why do they pay us to play?

+1

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The Griff wrote:

I gave you an MP3, you panned it. Get over it.

I'm curious, this is a keyboard forum. It was difficult for me to hear everything that was going on what with the vocals being screamed and the distortion cranked up on the guitars. Were you playing keyboards? What brand, model, etc.?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Edmondson, you didn't get my PM?

Why don't we just all agree that Bill Evans pretty much explains the art exactly right? I don't know about you, but I could not stop listening to him on u-tube. The whole thread should gather around him, listen, and then go do likewise!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Can't we just settle peoples argumentrs with a Gladiators one off special? It's how we do it in the UK.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1662/gladhe7.gif

Win the crowd, and you will win your freedom.

Well at least that's how my gigs work anyway.

The Griff wrote:

I gave you an MP3, you panned it. Get over it.

I'm curious, this is a keyboard forum. It was difficult for me to hear everything that was going on what with the vocals being screamed and the distortion cranked up on the guitars. Were you playing keyboards? What brand, model, etc.?

No, I wasn't, I was playing guitar in that particular act. Shock and awe, I'm a multi-instrumentalist. Piano was my first instrument, but I'd probably rank it third on my proficiency chart, simply because there's not much demand in this neck of the woods for keyboardists, unless you're into playing church gigs.

"So, ii-V-I, pure genius or just plain lazy?"

Neither, it's the most common chord progression jazz musicians play. It follows the cycle of 5ths. Most chord movement within tunes follows portions of the cycle.

Other common chord progressions:

V of V

I VII II V

III VI II V

I II II IV

I IV

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

"So, ii-V-I, pure genius or just plain lazy?"

Neither, it's the most common chord progression jazz musicians play. It follows the cycle of 5ths. Most chord movement within tunes follows portions of the cycle.

Other common chord progressions:

V of V

I VII II V

III VI II V

I II II IV

I IV

Jazz,

I was only kidding and referring to the fact that the scales are all the same, that's all. :wave::)

Regards,

Joe

Shouldn't a musician understand music more than a listener? If not, why do they pay us to play?

Definitely NO - why do they pay us? Because it's hard to eat and play and the same time, so somebody else got to do it...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I prefer vi-V-IV-III

25 or 6 to 4, anyone? :)

Hah!! Scott, you're busted!!

Structural analysis of a rock tune from the 60s? Some around here might say that you're sounding suspiciously like Dave Horne with a Les Paul. :laugh:

Larry.

I prefer vi-V-IV-III

Hah!! Scott, you're busted!!

Structural analysis of a rock tune from the 60s? Some around here might say that you're sounding suspiciously like Dave Horne with a Les Paul. :laugh:

Larry.

OUCH! I think that one left a mark! :freak::D

I prefer vi-V-IV-III

Larry.

Again, not to get off TOPIC, the 25 is a reference to LSD 25, anybody in the know really knows that! I think many Jazz AND Rock musicians have took-en LSD so there's a tie-in and possible a olive branch path to reconcile some of this! Like we should find the similiarites between these armed camps, Don't Ya think! :deadhorse:

Well after knowing the sideffects I don't think any of us should take LSD.. seriously! :P

BTW, it doesn't mean a 2-5-6-2-4! :wave:

Beer anyone! I think it's time to stop the madness!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Wow, that was a fun read. I especially liked this line from "One-Chord Progressions":

"The "I" and the "Im" chords are most commonly used."

With only one chord, what else could it be? A ii chord? A V7/iii?

Have a good weekend guys. I'm driving younger daughter up to Interlochen. Wish her the best as she chases the bliss we all started chasing years ago.

Larry.

I prefer vi-V-IV-III

Again, not to get off TOPIC, the 25 is a reference to LSD 25, anybody in the know really knows that! I think many Jazz AND Rock musicians have took-en LSD so there's a tie-in and a way to reconcile some of this!

Well after knowing the sideffects I don't think any of us should take LSD.. seriously!

BTW, it doesn't mean a 2-5-6-2-4!

Beer anyone!

Larry.

That's funny, I always perceived that as the time on the clock - "twenty-five or (twenty) six to (till) four" - 3:35 or 3:36 am.

There are plenty of other points in the song that make it clear he's tripping, but I just never realized that was one of them.

Griff, now you look like a man that can appreciate this, ya know! Yes back in da-day, in the 'olden times', that was a common translation of the title in da sub-cultA!

yeah, I think it really might have been, acid was very popular then!

sh@t, the concentric loops of this quote looks like my programing logic! trippy!

I prefer vi-V-IV-III

Again, not to get off TOPIC, the 25 is a reference to LSD 25, anybody in the know really knows that! I think many Jazz AND Rock musicians have took-en LSD so there's a tie-in and a way to reconcile some of this!

Well after knowing the sideffects I don't think any of us should take LSD.. seriously!

BTW, it doesn't mean a 2-5-6-2-4!

Beer anyone!

Larry.

That's funny, I always perceived that as the time on the clock - "twenty-five or (twenty) six to (till) four" - 3:35 or 3:36 am.

There are plenty of other points in the song that make it clear he's tripping, but I just never realized that was one of them.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived