Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Borat

zephonic

I just saw Borat's movie for the first time, and am blown away by the amazing absence of talent and inspiration. Although he has guts, he only seeks to provoke and doesn't even do that very well. Pathetic and lame.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I thought it was unbelievable... there was a tribute to Sacha a few months ago and a lot of the top comedians from all around the world felt they had just witnessed the seargeant pepper of comedy...

What you got to understand is that Sacha isn't just trying to provoke he's also trying to make a political statement... bravest comedian of all time IMHO...

I respectfully disagree. There's no political statement there, he just gives it that twist to sort of cloak the fact that it is little more than a hybrid of MTV's "Punk'd" and second rate "reality" TV. I didn't see any wit, he just seeks to provoke because he really doesn't have anything else. But I'll say it takes guts to brutalize the American anthem in front of a patriotic rodeo crowd.

It's satire, it's bound to piss someone off. I enjoyed it.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

If you've only seen the movie you missed the brilliant satire and amazing portrayals of societal double standards that were featured in the TV series...not only for the Borat character, but the rapper Ali G (played by the same actor).

I wanted to hate it. I held off seeing it because I couldn't stand all the hype that was going on and the previews just looked stupid. I finally watched it a couple of months ago and thought it was hilarious. Much of it is just uncomfortable to watch, but still funny. I can easly see how a lot of people wouldn't like it. He's very much like Any Kaufman - the best jokes to him are the ones where you don't know it's a joke. I thought for sure all the people in the movie were aware that it wasn't serious. Apparently not. It's no suprise he was arrested many times during production and I read somehwere that there are multiple lawsuits pending.

If you've only seen the movie you missed the brilliant satire and amazing portrayals of societal double standards that were featured in the TV series...not only for the Borat character, but the rapper Ali G (played by the same actor).

+1

I liked the movie, but enjoyed the TV series even more.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Ok, fine, my last $0.02 on this: he's a one-trick pony and the trick is getting old. There, I'm done.

I thought it was very funny, but I have a hard time believing that some of the "reality" scenes were not staged. For example, if a crazed fan really attempted to kidnap Pamela Anderson, that would have been plastered all over the national headlines.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I thought it was very funny, but I have a hard time believing that some of the "reality" scenes were not staged. For example, if a crazed fan really attempted to kidnap Pamela Anderson, that would have been plastered all over the national headlines.

Yeah, that was CLEARLY staged.

Yea, I'm pretty sure that was staged. However the scene with the college students in the RV wasn't. They tried to sue the film's makers.

I wanted to hate it too, but I just laughed way to hard during that movie. There were parts of the movie where I felt it was a bit much. The extended naked battle was downright horrifying and to me, unnecessary. It was definitely a political statement, and exposed many parts of America as they really are, for better or for worse. I remember first seeing Ali G on the 'Fast Show' in England in 1999, and have been a fan since.

Having said that, it is a shame that for many people, Kazakhstan will forever been seen through the lenses of Borat's absurd misrepresentation. Of course millions of more sensible Americans can dissociate the movie with the reality. But many won't.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If you like balls in your face humor then Borat is for you.

drop the "humor" and I agree....ok, sorry, I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist....

If you like balls in your face humor then Borat is for you.

drop the "humor" and I agree....ok, sorry, I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist....

See, now you're starting to get it!
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Never seen it and have had minimal exposure to what it is. I saw a skit that had someone impersonating the character and it was mildly humorous, but I actually have no idea what Borat is all about. I do have a twisted sense of humour, so suspect I would probably laugh. I'll add that to my DVD rental list, guessing not a good one for the kids to see.

Archived