Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

I agree w/ Legatoboy, Richard. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm has got some really nice creative integrity.

Thanks, both of you.

Here's a samba-ish version of Night & Day I just threw together, Carlo. It's a little rough, and I don't have drums handy, but you get the idea.

I altered the melody a bit, as well as the changes.

DivShare: Nitendei

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stuff in there, Richard.

I doubt I'll do a full blown version of Night And Day, but here's a quick try.

The tune has some inherent problems for major reharm, which is probably why there haven't been as many versions of this song like some standards. The chords from the 9th bar at the half diminished bother me... unless you can use voicings that increase the emotion, they lock you in. And I wanted to avoid any "cocktail music" effects that may occur.

So I decided to keep it simple and let the latin groove take precedence. I didn't want to crowd it with a lot of 'intellectual' voicings that may prevent the music from standing on its own. And now I know why I haven't played this song in so long (think I inherited your block, Carlo.)

A brief (not exactly great) idea for Night & Day:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4297191-502

I like that bass motif you use in the intro and during the song. It sets up an intriguing mood.

The tune has some inherent problems for major reharm, which is probably why there haven't been as many versions of this song like some standards. The chords from the 9th bar at the half diminished bother me... unless you can use voicings that increase the emotion, they lock you in. And I wanted to avoid any "cocktail music" effects that may occur.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - what's wrong with increasing the emotion? Or decreasing it? I can understand if the song makes you uncomfortable.

But anyway, that sounded good.

Thanks Richard. I didn't do much with it - just trying to give Carlo another perspective to choose from for his "challenge'.

And no, increasing the emotion is definitely a good thing. I just found that section of the tune harder to build in an emotional way.

The energy slows when the chords descend chromatically, and they're logical and simple to start with. They can be embellished, but not easily distilled to a stronger expression. But that's just my opinion, while someone else may have a 'field day' with that part.

Hey SK, you let me down. I was hoping for the nightmare effect. "Day and night, night and day, there's no escape." :sick::D Well, it's got those lyrics that make you wanna run (if you don't mind me saying :blush: )

Wow, great job. You too, Floyd. I'd be lucky to get through it the way it's written. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Ok,

These Foolish Things, I didn't play the head, just blew over the re-harm like a solo. :wave:

These Foolish Things

here's a 2nd take w/ one or two sour notes.

These Foolish Things - Re-harm take 2

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hope "meaningful" doesn't mean a request for a medley of "Night And Day" and "Invitation."

I just played N&D better, but don't have the energy now to record it.

Just listened to an iTunes preview of "Invitation" (I don't know the song)... "Out of the blue, suddenly YOU.." :D That's it.

Seriously, you don't need to rerecord anything, that was great. Really reminds me of a scene from West Side Story or something along that line..

LB, funny story.. downloaded your first tune, hit play, and for some reason it triggered SK's "Not another who can I turn to" at the same time. I didn't clue in right away and let me tell you, what a vibe! Complex and mysterious. I was quite blown away. (I like your solo work too. :) )

Just the time to say -

THANKS Richard and Steve! I like both of your versions of N&D a lot. Richard's take would be well suited for Dave Samuels, while Steve's is darker and well balanced... I've downloaded both ones, so I can listen to them again with a bit more time.

Legato, that's a good feeling groove you set up at that unusually slow tempo. Good job. :)

I still hope in some more Night and Day contributions... Dave? Mark? David? Bob? 7note? Mo? Legato? Others?

I had a hour to kill, so I took a stab at it. I just did the A sec. I figure If I was doing it with a group, I'd probably leave the B sec. as is since I've already ruined his verse. I tried to do it in a way the the melody would still hold up through the changes and to give you something to blow over at a fast tempo. I dunno........

Night and Day (pdf)

How absurd is it to suggest changes to Carlo. He was playin' this stuff by 2nd grade.

LB, funny story.. downloaded your first tune, hit play, and for some reason it triggered SK's "Not another who can I turn to" at the same time. I didn't clue in right away and let me tell you, what a vibe! Complex and mysterious. I was quite blown away. (I like your solo work too. \:\) )

Ah Ha! The Blue Room, it's really an American place! Just a happy accident Gangsu but weird!

Carlo, thank you man!

:thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Whoa!! hey LB. Awesome post. I was just looking around thinking I'm alone in my weirdness. So glad you dropped in. I haven't got a clue what you're saying but I feel the energy. :D:thu::)

That looks great linwood. I ran out of paper yesterday or I'd be playing it.

SK, if I committed a faux pas there I didn't see it coming. Gee, Bernstein was no slouch. Anyway, I apologize.

I have reharmed/arranged a whole series of Cole Porter songs, and I have played "theme" gigs or seminars with them.

Carlo, I was just wondering, do you have links to audio of any of those arrangements or reharms of those other Cole Porter songs? I'd like to hear them.

Oh-boy weirdness! Finally! Well is it really that weird! :thu:

Maybe,Maybe not!

alright,I'm happy for the time being

GOOD NIGHT I'm going to bed!

:tired:

haha, hey. This is weird. I signed out an hour ago but it looks like I'm still staring in the window. Yikes. Where was I. :D

well sometimes weirdness reigns Gangsu! it really does! gotta get some sleep! :wave: