Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas, just for participating and being a good sport, you still win your free trip to Hawaii, or a Fazioli, your choice. :) (I guessed "Joy Spring" too - Dave didn't say I was wrong, so I'll take the Fazioli.)

My tune was based on Bill Evans' "Waltz For Debbie", but in 4/4. So there's no waltz or Debbie in it. Just the form of the tune, and most of the original chords.

I played it once on a PBS special with a good horn section, and it worked.

Ugh! I guess both Nice Work and Joy Spring (the bridge gave me a clue). But, Waltz for Debbie! Nice reharm Steve, lol.

Dave, did you mean to quote the Andy Griffith Mayberry theme at 40 sec? That kinda sounded like it or a touch of Joyspring. Good test of ones "ears" for both tunes.

You guys have fried my brain. My understanding was that Steve, after recognizing Dave's tune, had posted another version of the same song. So I *thought* to have recognized "Joy Spring" - but I couldn't make any connection with Steve's tune. Knowing how far Steve likes to stretch, I tried hard to find some common denominator... but the structure was quite different, so I was lost. Among the songs which crossed my head, "I'm getting sentimental over you" was a candidate for a while - just with a few weirdness and without the extra 4 bars at the end... then I returned on the thread, to learn that my *first* guess was correct!! :freak:

And no, I didn't recognize "Waltz for Debby". I heard the "Nice Work" quote and a few others ("Satin Doll"?) but the harmony was quite different.

Lucas, just for participating and being a good sport, you still win your free trip to Hawaii, or a Fazioli, your choice. :) (I guessed "Joy Spring" too - Dave didn't say I was wrong, so I'll take the Fazioli.)

My tune was based on Bill Evans' "Waltz For Debbie", but in 4/4. So there's no waltz or Debbie in it. Just the form of the tune, and most of the original chords.

I played it once on a PBS special with a good horn section, and it worked.

So when will my tickets arrive? :D :D

I'd never have placed it, but I was hearing that part where it goes to Amajor briefly in the 2nd ending ever time and it was definitely ringing a bell. Very nice, and I'm sure that special was killer.

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. ;)

Nice ones! I'd have never gotten Waltz for Debbie.

Dave , the piano sounds nice. So glad you're gettin' this together for you and for us. Looking forward to hearing more of you doing what you do so well.

Good ears, Lucas. The Amaj7 was a big clue.

Dave, I too am glad you're getting this recording thing happening. I think you'll have a blast with it, and it'll be productive too.

Carlo, :laugh: I think it's hilarious (and understandable) about that epic confusion! Joy Spring's progression in F and from the same time period made me think of "Waltz For Debbie."

And no, I didn't recognize "Waltz for Debby". I heard the "Nice Work" quote and a few others ("Satin Doll"?) but the harmony was quite different.
The head definitely skirts all around the original song, but the solo form and chords are very close to the original - just a few substitutions.

I did a quick combination of the two tunes here (partial Bill Evans style), so maybe it makes a little better sense. (another red herring quote at the end) :freak::)

http://stashbox.org/561344/Deb%27s%20Last%20Dance.mov

All this talk reminded me of something I heard a few years back (and got to see the reharm chart for). Jim McNeely (of the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra) did this suuuper hip reharm of 'In the Wee Small Hours' where the melody was in the regular key but the changes where transposed a whole step (down, I think). Man was it slick!!

Thanks to Facebook (ain't the internet lovely?) I was able to track down the info on it since I couldn't remember what tune it was but my friend added that it's on the VJO record "Lickety Split" if you want to check it out. ;)

That sounds like it was cool, Lucas.

On the "left hand chord" thread, Jazz+ posted a clip of Keith Jarrett solo piano on this song. It was nice, if straightforward. I've actually never played this song on a gig, but I thought it could use some different chords or minimal reharm.

I did this right after I heard the Jarrett clip, so there's a slight nod to his style on this, as it filtered through.

http://stashbox.org/567086/Rainbow.mov

Ok, I've been monkeying around with a simple reharm so I want to give this a go! I don't think it's too hard to hear in there, some allusions to the melody etc.

Sorry about the poor quality, I just threw it together with the built in mic in my laptop and Audacity, no editing or anything like that...

http://www.divshare.com/download/7901152-1eb

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, I appreciate it, Piano4U. That's probably the only time I'll play that tune, unless I go back and stretch more on it.

Lucas, thanks for posting that tune. I could hear the whole step/3rd's in the beginning, but the recording speed wavers, at least on my computer. (At first, I thought the speed changes were part of the reharm :) ) Sounded like it was nice, but I couldn't quite hear it.

Uh-oh, I hope the sound file isn't messed up for you guys, it sounds fine over here. It is pretty rubato so I don't know if that makes things weird...

Steve, I enjoyed your over the rainbow as well. Very nice! I had never heard the Keith Jarret version before but I actually like to do that tune (don't ask why since I usually avoid obvious standards) but I looove playing it as a brutally slow ballad.

Gonna give you a listen Dave! ;)

If anyone gives one more listen, I think the second 4 of the bridge and the very end are the most obvious places where the melody is quoted close to the real thing. I know it is a pretty oblique re-do though... If I played the melody straight it would be a dead give away. No fun in that! ;)

Dave, those takes are both killing! Really beautiful stuff! But I haven't figured the tune out yet... hahaha. :)

I appreciate you guys sharing these, I look forward to picking your brains because all the clips have been really awesome. Plus Dave and Steve- you both have some kind of nice setup for recording those pianos! I'm sure it's been mentioned throughout the board here so I'm behind on all of that but really great sounds!

Ha, all these years I never noticed that they started the same like that, but it does end after the Gminor for the most part. I guess I just thought it was one hip reharm after that! Oh well, maybe I'll get the next one...

Reharmalodic anyone? :freak:

http://stashbox.org/577103/Una%20Muy%20Bonita%20.mov

An old Ornette tune, so I drew on that style. All split bass played simultaneously with right hand solo and head. The rest was added afterwards, including some drums overtop the crummy drum track. Free solo, keeping the form of the tune.

No excuse for this experiment - I just felt like doing it. Maybe someone will enjoy it. And there's a "Name That Tune" quote in the solo.

Reharm on last A at end of track.

Reharmalodic anyone? :freak:

Haha, a reharmalodic by a reharmaholic. Well, I don't know the tune but it sounds to me like Ornette threw the notes to Swinging on a Star up in the air and caught a few on the way down. I know, who asked me. Can't say as I get it but the mood is fun. :)

The cool thing is, the man is still living, right? Wondering if you've ever met. And how old would he be??

Dave, your piano sounds pretty good! You're almost there! ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

SK,

I have no idea what the tune is but it reminded me of a J.Zawinual composition. I liked it even with the 'crummy' drum track!

I'm back from my 2012 adventures in high places! Very different from high places at Yamaha that is true.

I have a friend into the 2012 stuff and the Mayan calander and had just watched a DVD he gave me, sorry I stepped on that thread, I shouldn't have been posting half bagged and drunk!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I shouldn't have been posting half bagged and drunk!

lb

Unlike myself, at least you had an excuse, and glad you liked the tune anyway. :grin: The song is "Una Muy Bonita". I hope I played the melody right - resurrected by memory from years ago.

Sue, Ornette's alive, but I've never met him. I met Charlie Haden and Don Cherry who played with him. Thanks for listening - Ornette played it much more lyrically. The last trumpet line on the solo is what I 'believe' were the first notes of Ornette's solo on the tune. Maybe someone with the record could confirm that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since anything has been added and I thought I'd add an oldie ... and perhaps, a moldy. :)

Sweet Lorraine

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet Lorraine - there's a tune you don't hear played these days. Nice job on that, Mr. Horne.

Well, thanks to the expertise/guidance/encouragement of my forum friends Linwood, Piano4U, gangsu, and some non-forum friends, I took the plunge and got a new iMac, external hard drive and Digital Performer. I've had DP installed for maybe a week, and finally got a first test recording. (Jumped in with a machette and figured out just enough to record without using a manual yet.) I'm slowly becoming technologically current.

An old friend and great piano player sent me a recording of this excellent song, written by a drummer friend of his. To think a drummer chose to write a ballad! (Who said drummers aren't musicians?) I played this more flamboyantly than I would in real life to explore some recording possibilities with DP.

Edit: From this point I described the tune and posted it, but I just decided this may not be the right tune for "the room" - so I removed it. Anyone who wants to hear it is welcome to PM me for the link.