Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis QS6.1

TaurusT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the 7.1 And my thoughts are:

'bang for the buck' quotient is very high.

Solid patches across most instrument types.

PITA to program new patches.

Very easy to create 'mixes' (splitting the keyboard and so forth).

Solidly built; mine's been constantly gigging with me for 6(?) years now, and I've never had a thing go wrong with it, physically or electronically.

It's my favorite 'synth' action by far.

I've got one. Had it for 4 years. I use it on each and every gig. If we do a small party or something informal, I use it as my only board.

It has been very reliable. It get tossed around all the time and I have never had a single problem with it. It is very light and very intuitive to use.

It has some decent sounds. Acceptable pianos in a pinch. Nice Rhodes (Rayz Rhodes in particular). Decent Organs (jazz percussion and PurleB - dirty Lord sound). I love the mellotron and chorus sounds. I use them all the time.

The ease of use and variety of sounds has made it a main staple of my rig for 4 years.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I don't think the internal synth responds to after touch.

I believe it does... :idea:

Pretty much every modern synth engine responds to aftertouch - it's just a controller, like the info sent by a mod wheel. Some lesser expensive ones sometimes don't send it, because keybeds that send AT cost more...but AFAIK, any synth that sends AT from it's keybed also responds to same.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Please your general thoughts and experiences about this board.

Thanks!

I also have the QS7.1, I'm pretty sure that the only difference is the number of keys so... this is what I posted to someone posing this question about the 7.1 in another forum.

------------------------

Depends on what you want to get out of it... try to get hold of a manual and study it. Once you grasp the process of using MIX mode to create layers and splits you can do good things with it.

But it's a lot of work as far as I'm concerned. My main board is now a Roland RD700SX and right out of the box I was intuitively creating layers and splits on the RD within five minutes. I mean "projects" that took a half hour on the QS WITH the manual open in my lap.

I've had a QS7.1 for about 5-6 years now, and I still gig with it and the RD. My impressions of the QS...pretty good sounds overall, but I haven't figured out how to really make the effects work with the sliders. So I can't get as much out of the organs as I probably should be able to.

There are a lot of preloaded sounds and mixes that are maybe useful if you're scoring a movie like "Plan 9 From Outer Space". These days I use the brass, winds and strings mostly. I like the orchestral sounds.

Acoustic and electric pianos are actually really good, but I can't stand not having a weighted keybed on it. If you have a weighted - keybed controller and are MIDI-savvy (I'm not), play the QS pianos from it and they will blow you away!!! I'd stack 'em up against the RD's pianos any day. But I just can't get past the lack of a hammer action keybed.

On the other hand, the afterouch can be really effective with things like sax and some anlaog synth sounds.

Acoustics are bright and crisp, also some nice electrics, especially Rhodes and Wurli. An additional word in that area...

I happen to love most of the RD's pianos. That said, we all know some people don't. That's basically a matter of taste. I plugged a MIDI cable into the boards so I could play the QS pianos with the Roland keybed, using a KC500 amp. I actually felt that the QS pianos were crisper and clearer in the bass register than those of the RD. And, for that matter, far superior overall to the pianos on a Yammy CP200 I used to have 5 years ago. It blew me away to the point that I for a moment actually second guessed myself on acquiring the RD... but only for a moment. As I said, the RD is just so much more user friendly for this dummy.

It's a serviceable board IMO, but if it were lost or stolen I'd replace it with something else... at this point I only touch the Alesis once or twice in a 40-song gig, and in the not too distant future I'd like to be able to leave it home altogether but realistically I doubt I can.

Bottom line, learning curve was and still is a bit too steep for me. I'm not a "synth guy". I'm a piano player who occasionally needs other sounds; and I just want to push a button and play.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the QS. Some people swear by them, and I'm sure the fault is mine and not the keyboard's. You may love it.

Just My $.02

-Mike

I've had a QS6.1 for many years now and for the most part have been very happy with it. It's a great 2nd board for small events. I too found it a challenge to get my head around programming, especially compared to my old RD700. My only complaint is that I've been having trouble with one side cutting out and I can't find anyone to fix it. I'd love to get it back in working shape again. Right now I'm using it as a controller at home. Outside of that I would recommend it as a viable option.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

My only complaint is that I've been having trouble with one side cutting out and I can't find anyone to fix it.

Finding a good repair shop for synths can be difficult, especially for Alesis gear.

Alesis didn't show any new keyboards at NAMM this year.....I expect they may be leaving that market in the near future.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Alesis didn't show any new keyboards at NAMM this year.....I expect they may be leaving that market in the near future.

I expect you're right.

:(

I hear ya.

Hey, we had some fun for a while...built some cool toys.

I've still got a QS8, a QSR, a DM Pro and my two Andromedas...and that kickass little NanoBass... :thu:

dB

I don't think the internal synth responds to after touch.

I believe it does... :idea:

dB

Thanks, Dave. After I typed that I figured I was probably wrong (and that you'd be the man to tell me so). But do you know any preset programs that utilize it? I only mention it because the moment in my life when I realized what aftertouch was was when I plugged the 7.1 into a JV1080, noticed that I was triggering midi while holding down keys, and then played around with the JV1080 patches, most of which have aftertouch set to something.

On the Alesis, I tried a bunch of patches and none of them seemed to utilize aftertouch at all.

I own both a QS4plus rack and a QS7.1. They both are very well laid out extremely gigable boards. As someone else pointed out, they make a great second tier board.

I like the feel and the sturdy construction of the Qs7.1.

The sounds are pretty good and if you dig into the manual a bit you can create some nice layers and patches. Like any other keyboard most factory so so patches can be tweaked into usable patches.

I never have gotten really deep into their effects programming but I know where the ones I need are and that is good enough for me.

The program sounds are built on a 4 layer concept even if you don't use all 4 layers. The mix section can open all 16 midi channels so you can stack your sounds up high or create mutiple keyboard zones.

I recommend the Orchestra Qcard and the Vintage synth Qcard. I have quite a few of the others and they get used in the QS4. Download the Soundbridge program and with a PCMIA flash ram card you can create your own patches from samples.

Mine does have aftertouch but it is a little funny how it works. It seems to have a slight delay to the response or you really have to press it so I don't use it too much for stuff like pitch bending. I was impressed with it's effect on some of the solo string patches in the Orchestra Qcard. For the $500 -$700 range board they are not bad at all.

Current main gear: Korg Oasys88, K2661, Pc2x

Moog Voyager, Moog Lp, Prophet 08, Alesis Qs7.1

Korg Karma, Ob12

Others: numerous

I've had a QSR since '98 and for about five years it was my main synth, controlled from a Kurzweil PC88 and later also a Korg 707. Nowadays it's retired in favour to newer stuff.

I wouldn't buy a QS6.1 today unless it was going to be my first keyboard and if I didn't get a killer deal. It depends what you're after of course, but if you're looking for good piano, organ, strings and horns I would probably save my money for something a little more pricey.Anyway - back in '98 when I got mine I thought it was a worthy contender to Rolands JV/XP-series, Ensoniq MR and such.

It's very programmable and quite logical. I remember the manual to be very nice and informative as well. What's good about it is that the qualities of samples where at least back then very good - and more important - IMO, all samples are equally good - not just a few of them. However - in these days most new boards have better samples. Anyway - I bought it mainly for the pianos, organs and vintage synth sounds. Compared to an unexpanded JV1080 - the I found the QS' pianos and organs to be superior. However after playing it for a few years I found the dynamic range to be too narrow. Also - the pianos aren't multi layer samples, so the timbre doesn't change much when you dig in. For just playing big chords, though, the Bösendorfer samples are very nice and crisp! The organs lack attack I think - but you can fix this by altering the start point of the sample. Also - the vintage Q-card probably have better organs.

I never got any Q-cards and didn't explore the possibilities with flash RAM cards either. I guess today it might be very hard to find 8MB PCMCIA flash cards that will work in the QS, however - Ebay is your friend... :)

A friend of mine got the QS 6.1 after my recommendation and was quite happy with it for a while. It did have some issues thoug - his unit had problems with hum on the ouputs. Don't know if this a common problem. Also - the QS6.1 is for some strange reason not SYSEX compatible with QS 7/8/R. I emailed Alesis about this and they confirmed - the only way to tranfer programs from 7/8/R to a 6/6.1 is by a RAM-card. Very strange...

The keys are top of the line Fatar synth action so it won't disappoint. If you plan on using the QS as a master keyboard - be aware that it can't send bank change (at least not CC32 - internally it's five banks are on CC0 #0-4)

If I would get a new QS - I'd go for the QS7.1 instead. Surely they probably cost a bit more and are harder to find - but then you'll get, besides more keys, an extra pair of stereo out and an ADAT digital output. If you plan to use the QS in a home studio or with a computer I definetly recommend having the extra stereo out since when in MIX multitimbral mode the effect routing gets very complex!

Most synths today have several effect units - either 2 or more multi-fx like Korg have had for years. Rolands usually have one dedicated reverb and a dedicated chorus unit, and often one or more multi-FX as well. The Alesis QS use a different approach. You have several effect configurations to choose from. See the manual page 66 and forward. Depending on what configuration you choose you get different number of effect units and 1-4 sends. It's quite confusing - especially if you'd like to use distortion and lezlie (Alesis spelling). It is possible to have different amount of reverb on different channels and at the same time dist and delay on the guitar, chorus on the strings and lezlie on the organ (by using config #5), but it takes a while to get there - not for the beginner. Also many of the programs use the Reverb + EQ config, which give them a nice bottom (usually the bass can be boosted 12 dB). Dialing up the same program in mix mode, not using the EQ, made the sound thin and whimpy. When I used the QS multitimrbally I alwas sent the bass and drums program to the aux output and then boost the bass in my mixer instead. That's why I recommend the QS71.1 instead - you will sooner or later need the aux ouputs. Effect programming in the QS is not for the faint hearted! :) However, reverbs and choruses are top notch! The lezlie and other effects work fine to. The distortion is really aggressive and quite cool, but don't expect to get a smooth half overdriven tube sound. Great for Jon Lord type organs and not so good for blues guitar and rhodes.

The modulation matrix is really cool - and you can even simulate arpeggio type sounds using the internal "step sequencer". Many programs use this in conjunction with the QS' sampled drum loops.

What's really missing is resonant filters! Again - with the modulation functions you can get a simulated filter/PWM/sync sweep, since there are many synth waveforms sampled with different amount of filter opening / sync or PWM setting and by crossfading four of these you can get quite realistic sweeps. However - the extremes are not sampled, so there won't be any real scream from the "sampled" filters. The classic synth Q-card probably have more sampled sweeps and such. The internal non-resonant low pass filter is not too exciting... Generally though sound are well programmed and they use the four sliders/aftertouch/modwheel a lot - so if you try out one - be sure to fiddle with the controllers.

To conclude - the QS is a cool synth if you want to learn basic programming and get the typical bread and butter sounds. A nice first synth for both stage and home studio, but IMHO you should consider getting a QS7.1 instead of 6.1. If you already have a Motif/Triton/Fantom or such - I see no reason to get one. It can't compare with newer boards in terms of sample quality and realism. Also don't expect it to sound like a VA synth or classic analogue. For what it is - it's good, but don't expect too much.

That "other mag" has reviews of the QSR, QS8, QS6.2/QS8.2 and original QS6 here. Also the demo songs for the QS8.2 are the same as in the original QS and can be listened to here.

Good luck! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Having rez filters would be great although there are many samples of resonant-effected waves. I have managed to created a patch on my QS7 that simulates turning up the resonance (when pushing the mod wheel up) which a lot of my synth friends find quite fairly convincing. I used some kind of filtered noise wave for the extreme position which really pierces! Not the same as a true analog Q control of course, but very useful.

I really delved into programming it (as others state, it takes some work!) but created some nice evolving patches and various utilitarian sounds for gigs. I love the portability and versatility. The piano sounds really cut live but are very responsive and dynamic. It's often my "go to" board and I've also had the 8.1 and 6.2 at various times.

When I can only fit one keyboard in at a gig, I have usually gone with my QS7. I miss a heavier action (as on my Kurzweil) but it gets the job done.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I just can't understand why Alesis has so many "almost but not quite" products. The QS series was good but, listening to the reviews in this thread, it comes up lacking in many areas.

And look at the Fusion--great features and a lot of bang for the buck, but with disk drive problems, OS issues, etc.....it just fell on its face and has been discontinued. Then there's the ION. I recall it had a buggy OS to start out with which was fixed eventually (among other things). I bought one and am holding my breath it will last. But--Alesis could have had a real winner with it by adding reverb, a sequencer, and (this is just a personal observation) would have sold millions more if the ION had wooden end cheeks and a tilting front panel.

Then there's the Andromeda.....wow! What a great analog synth, but delays in production are just one issue. Just what is it with Alesis?

End of horse beating. Sorry, Trigger.

:deadhorse:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

What's really missing is resonant filters!

That always amazed me! I've never owned a synth or workstation that didn't have resonant filters.

Most illogical. :P

IIRC, the best selling workstation/synthesizer of all time didn't have them (M1). :idea:

Neither did the T series, or (once again, if memory serves) the 01/W....the Kurz K250 doesn't have them, nor do any of their 1000 series. The DX7/DX9 etc. didn't either, of course. The original E-mu Proteus modules (1, 2, and 3) didn't - they actually had no filter at all, I believe...

That's a few - including two if the three best sellers of all time (M1, DX7) - so it's not like there was no precedent. ;)

The QS series was good but, listening to the reviews in this thread, it comes up lacking in many areas.

Listening to the reviews in this thread, perhaps.

Interesting tidbit to offset them - the QS8 outsold every synthesizer in the US for three years straight. Every synth...not just 88 key ROMplers...and yes - I'm sure about that - I was Alesis' representative to IAEKM at the time, which provided us with that info...so maybe they're not that bad... :D

In all seriousness - believe it or not, there were actually people working on those who really care a lot about synths, myself included. We went out of our way to make the QS synths kick ass - heck, we even sampled Keith Emerson's Hammond and modular Moog for the factory ROM set. Emerson was impressed - he used a QS8 on tour for years (with programs I was lucky enough to write for him, some of which are in the presets). :cool:

They're actually pretty respectable instruments. :thu:

dB

They're actually pretty respectable instruments.

And awesomely affordable.

I bought my QS7 (replaced by a 7.1 when it was stolen in college) my junior year of high school after saving up money for a year. I spent $1200 I believe; I don't remember if that included the tiny kustom PA I bought for it as well. I've been gigging with the QS series since 1997, and it has never let me down.

If a person was going to buy an old ROMpler, one could do much much worse than a QSx.1

I'd be curious to know which digital synth/rompler/sampler had the first resonant filter.

I had an Ensoniq EPS that had the same type of non-resonant filters and it was one of the few things that I really disliked about it.

I think it took a while to get the technology worked out, because all the early digital stuff I know of didn't have them.

I think one reason why the QS series initially sold so well was its cost. Alesis always delivers a lot of usefulness for little cash.

The QS is a bit dated in a few areas, but well worth picking up if you come across a god deal on one.

They're subject to a lot of badmouthing, but I've always been pretty satisfied with most of the Alesis stuff I've had.

The D-50 had LP resonant filters

I thought of that, of course (it being part of the holy Best Selling Synths Ever trinity along with the M1 and DX7), but I kinda don't really think of it as a ROMpler any more than I think of, say, the DW8000 as a ROMpler. I think of those waves more as partials than samples....although I wonder how much ROM it had compared to the wave ROM in the M1?

Hmmmm...there must be a way to find that out...

dB

They're actually pretty respectable instruments. :thu:

dB

Hey Dave, I'm a fan! Love your Emersonian presets too and I saw Keith use the QS8 at several concerts and wanted one. So I got the 7 and later the 8.1!

Speaking of sales, do you have any idea how many QS8s were sold? Most folks know that the M1 was the top seller at one time with what, 250K units sold (according to KeyFax) with the D50 not far behind with 200K and the DX7 at 160K (IIRC)? Just curious and IF the figures were ever released or if they're not too taboo to discuss! :)

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

HUGE QS player here. Have been gigging with a QS7.1 and QSR for a number of years, and just replaced the 7.1 with a QS8 so I now have an 88 weighted board. Moved the 7.1 to the studio, with my 2nd QSR. I have most of the QCards, and LOVE them. This is one of the staples of my sound, as it has been for years (classic rock and contemporary worship). YMMV.

Jay (the other one - RIP Daf)

And look at the Fusion--great features and a lot of bang for the buck, but with disk drive problems, OS issues, etc.....it just fell on its face and has been discontinued.

I'm not sure if it has been discontinued. There was never an official statement about this, and Alesis has just revamped their site, and included the Fusion in their line-up:

http://www.alesis.com/synths

Speaking of sales, do you have any idea how many QS8s were sold? Most folks know that the M1 was the top seller at one time with what, 250K units sold (according to KeyFax) with the D50 not far behind with 200K and the DX7 at 160K (IIRC)? Just curious and IF the figures were ever released or if they're not too taboo to discuss! :)

I actually don't know them. We were averaging something like 3000+ units a month for a while though, so it was definitely a bunch. :thu:

dB

Well I got one today. Im very impressed, as well by the easy manual that it has. Im disappointed now though. I read everywhere the QS6.1 had exactly the same sounds as the QS8.1

The 8.1 is showed off on synthmania.

http://www.synthmania.com/qs8.htm

I fell in love with the Instant-edge sound. It's supposed to be on somekind of "bank4" but on my alesis 6.1 there is -no- bank 4.

Bugger x2

Anyone knows how I can get these "bank 4 patches"?. I can only select up to bank 3, a userbank and a GMbank.

I fell in love with the Instant-edge sound.

:D

I wrote that program sitting in a hotel room in Sao Paolo, Brazil one evening waiting to go out to dinner. It's one of my favorite QS patches. Glad you like it!

It's supposed to be on somekind of "bank4" but on my alesis 6.1 there is -no- bank 4.

It's actually Bank 0, the user bank. Supposed to be program 5 or 6, if memory serves.

If it's been overwritten, you can download the factory user bank here. :thu:

dB

I was wondering,given that you are one of the programmers if you did these. The "Shine On" synth lead is excellent as is the Jon Lord Deep Purple organ sound ( I think patch 22). I enjoy quite a few of the sounds including numerous patches on the Vintage Synth and Eurodance Q cards.

Current main gear: Korg Oasys88, K2661, Pc2x

Moog Voyager, Moog Lp, Prophet 08, Alesis Qs7.1

Korg Karma, Ob12

Others: numerous

Archived