Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from "As Favre Turns", in addition to the HoF game, two great Redskins get inducted. :thu:

Yup. As a lifelong Redskins fan, that was just a great day yesterday. I couldn't be happier for Art Monk. I love seeing injustices righted. I know that there are still doubters out there about whether Art actually belongs in the HOF, but I'm certainly not one of them, and I'm glad that the HOF voters finally agreed with me (and with the thousands of other Redskins fans who wanted to see Art in the Hall).

Noah

Aside from "As Favre Turns", in addition to the HoF game, two great Redskins get inducted. :thu:

Yup. As a lifelong Redskins fan, that was just a great day yesterday. I couldn't be happier for Art Monk. I love seeing injustices righted. I know that there are still doubters out there about whether Art actually belongs in the HOF, but I'm certainly not one of them, and I'm glad that the HOF voters finally agreed with me (and with the thousands of other Redskins fans who wanted to see Art in the Hall).

Noah

I think the people who think Art doesn't deserve to be in the HOF are mad. This was a great injustice that was finally righted. A great weekend for Skins fans as two class acts are inducted into the HOF and the team is playing in the game.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

NFL grants Favre reinstatement; sources say QB job is open

Team president Mark Murphy said in a statement Sunday that the team has a specific plan with Favre in camp that it won't reveal until Monday, but sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that coach Mike McCarthy will announce he's holding an open competition for the starting quarterback position.

Finally.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Redskins grab the first victory of the 2008 preseason, 30-16.

Congratulations to ProfD and Noah. :cool:

And condolences to Kevin, even though you probably won't accept them. ;)

Best,

Geoff

Heh, it's preseason man ;)

That said, Horton on the 'Skins definitely earned another week on the squad with that solo sack of a 6' 4" 285lb QB :thu: If you're a 7th round pick and you want to make the team, that's a good start.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm certainly happy preseason is here!

That having been said, I am FINALLY taking my own advice and NOT CARING AT ALL what happens in preseason. I've been totally burned in the past four years of the Raiders looking good in preseason. I am officially done. I'll watch some games to start getting my brain back in football mode, but I will barely be glancing at scores.

The Redskins grab the first victory of the 2008 preseason, 30-16.

Congratulations to ProfD and Noah. :cool:

And condolences to Kevin, even though you probably won't accept them. ;)

Best,

Geoff

Thanks, but it's definitely hard for me to get excited about preseason victories. Still, though, with a new coach, a new system, and a bunch of new players, a few preseason victories to provide a little "mo" entering the regular season could really help this team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Of course, the most important thing, by far, that happened yesterday was that the game served as a reminder that FOOTBALL IS BACK, BABY! My favorite season of the year by far! :thu:

Noah

By the way, this may have been discussed earlier, but can someone please explain to me what the hell the Packers have been thinking in the past few weeks? Brett Favre made the Pro Bowl last year and took his team to within one poorly-made throw of reaching the Super Bowl. Unless Aaron Rodgers is ready to be a stud QB now (and I severely doubt that that's the case), the Pack should have welcomed Brett back weeks ago with open arms. Instead, they treat him like a leper coming back to infect the village. What gives?

Noah

I'm certainly happy preseason is here!

That having been said, I am FINALLY taking my own advice and NOT CARING AT ALL what happens in preseason. I've been totally burned in the past four years of the Raiders looking good in preseason. I am officially done. I'll watch some games to start getting my brain back in football mode, but I will barely be glancing at scores.

it's definitely hard for me to get excited about preseason victories. Still, though, with a new coach, a new system, and a bunch of new players, a few preseason victories to provide a little "mo" entering the regular season could really help this team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Okay, this is my take.

Sure, preseason games aren't generally a good indicator of how the regular season will go. Sure, they don't count, so they're meaningless victories and losses. But, hey, I enjoy watching my team win under any circumstances; and that includes the preseason!

That said, I wonder how the Packers' preseason will go if, as now expected, there's an open contest for the starting quarterback position. The distraction could disrupt players' performances and lead to losses or the competition could bring out the best in everyone. Either way, it'll be interesting to watch.

Best,

Geoff

By the way, this may have been discussed earlier, but can someone please explain to me what the hell the Packers have been thinking in the past few weeks? Brett Favre made the Pro Bowl last year and took his team to within one poorly-made throw of reaching the Super Bowl. Unless Aaron Rodgers is ready to be a stud QB now (and I severely doubt that that's the case), the Pack should have welcomed Brett back weeks ago with open arms. Instead, they treat him like a leper coming back to infect the village. What gives?

It's hard for me to understand too, Noah.

I have a feeling it has to do with behind the scene politics that we're not privy to. Why, for example, did GM Ted Thompson tell Brett he would be fired if Favre returned to Green Bay?

My guess is that -- in order to cement the team's relationship with their quarterback of the future -- Thompson made promises to Aaron Rodgers that he wouldn't be able to keep if Favre changed his mind his retirement. When Favre announced his desire to return, Thompson probably panicked that he would eventually lose both quarterbacks a couple of years down the road when Favre retires for real and Rodgers becomes a free agent.

It's just a guess, but it's the only one that makes any sense to me.

Best,

Geoff

It was great to hear Madden last night. You can feel the enthusiasm he has for the game. :cool:

Art Monk is a class act. I wish the star receivers of today would show some of the same.

The fans waiting at the airport for Brett's plane was a little bizarre. Could you see this happening anywhere else for any other player in football?

Cher :D

Lets not forget the third party in all of this Brett mess.

The media has done their fair share of drama building crap throughout this whole ordeal. It was like two days after the Pack made the bribe offer that the media reported "Brett considering Packers offer!" Yeah? You mean the first two days he wasn't considering it?

Then it was reported "Brett considering NOT taking Packers offer!"

Uh, when you're considering, aren't you doing both.

But media outlets couldn't take credit for these bold accounts, so they properly informed us how and where the big story came from. This usually involved Brett or his agent text messaging someone that Brett may or may not be interested in the Packer's offer.

Quote by antimatter:

"The fans waiting at the airport for Brett's plane was a little bizarre. Could you see this happening anywhere else for any other player in football?"

Well, sorta. The police have been known to show up at the airport to arrest Dallas Cowboy football players, and occasionally, a coach. :/

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm one of the people who is definitely NOT on Favre's side in this. I think the Packers should let him rot on the sideline unless Rodgers gets hurt.

Here's a cute little vid that pretty much sums it up for me.

Is there any side at all you really want to take on this? IMHO, that video is as damning to the media as it is to Brett Favre. Sure, Favre has done more than his share of waffling, with each year more extreme than the next; but whether Favre likes the attention or not, the one thing we know for sure is that the media loves putting Favre in the spotlight. If there's a lineman anywhere in the NFL who's been waffling as much as Favre, the media will never give it a second look.

Lets not forget the third party in all of this Brett mess.

The media has done their fair share of drama building crap throughout this whole ordeal. It was like two days after the Pack made the bribe offer that the media reported "Brett considering Packers offer!" Yeah? You mean the first two days he wasn't considering it?

Then it was reported "Brett considering NOT taking Packers offer!"

Uh, when you're considering, aren't you doing both.

:idea: LOL, antimatter - Great point!

And then there's Green Bay's management that had to be dragged kicking and screaming into letting a proven starter, and perhaps the best quarterback in the history of the franchise, compete for his job against three untested quarterbacks. :rolleyes:

I sure don't want to take anyone's side in this mess, unless it's the Packers fans'.

Best,

Geoff

I'm one of the people who is definitely NOT on Favre's side in this. I think the Packers should let him rot on the sideline unless Rodgers gets hurt.

Here's a cute little vid that pretty much sums it up for me.

Is there any side at all you really want to take on this?

No! I want a person who does what they say they're going to do!

So, retire, and then do it. This isn't rocket science. It's obviously the worst thing for a team that a player would supposedly care about. But no, I'd rather not take any side here. I shouldn't have to. In most cases, people play, they're successful or not, and then they stop. That's why I've never really had to think about something like this, which I'd rather not be thinking about in the first place! :D

So, retire, and then do it.

Otherwise, don't retire and no one would think any less of you. Are the Packers a little crazy for not welcoming back Favre with open arms, maybe a little, but they needed to move on when he retired and they did. Favre's being an ass, and I'm saying that as a huge Favre fan.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

So, retire, and then do it.

Otherwise, don't retire and no one would think any less of you. Are the Packers a little crazy for not welcoming back Favre with open arms, maybe a little, but they needed to move on when he retired and they did. Favre's being an ass, and I'm saying that as a huge Favre fan.

Yeah, I agree that the Packers started on the right foot by telling Favre they'd moved on, but they could have saved everyone a lot of time and trouble if they had gone straight from there to where they eventually wound up: sure, you can come back if you're willing to compete for the job -- and may the best man win.

Best,

Geoff

Archived