Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard a report on the sports radio station that apparently Favre told his local paper that the story's false and that he's happy in retirement.

Favre's words weren't quite that unequivocal, but they were something of a denial. Here's the report from the Mississippi Sun Herald:

Favre's response to report: 'It's all rumor'

And of course, after breaking the first "comeback" story in April, how can the LA Times not weigh in?

The Brett Favre story sure seems familiar

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Sad News Out of the NFL. Former Chargers safety Terrence Kiel dies.

Click On Me

Indeed. He was no Bob Sanders, but nevertheless wasted an opportunity to be a good (albeit not great) NFL player with his dealing on the side. I still held out some hope that he'd pull his life back together until this news came out.

Just what I feared: Favre is asking for a release from the Packers to play for another team, in the grand tradition of Joe Montana the KC Chief and Emmitt Smith the Cardinal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

Terrible idea.

Brett the Raven?

Ohhhhhh Gaaaaawwwwd no! No No No!!!

Baltimore is the place where good Quarterbacks go to die. Yeah it's a fit; new coach, no more Billick, new attitude, roster full of green QB's etc, but please don't let this happen.

I lost my great icon of great quarterbacking and toughness in B-More, I really wouldn't want Geoff to lose his there too.

Hell, I wouldn't even wish that on an enemy! :(:sick::P

TROLL . . . ish.

Well, I can't say I'm happy about this ... not happy at all.

But it hasn't played itself out yet. Favre may yet retire, or play another season as a Packer.

I'd hate to see him play for another team; but it's his life, his decision.

It would be ironic though if he finished his career with the team that drafted him; and if he did play for the Falcons, I wonder how long he would remain "Iron Man" Favre.

Best,

Geoff

As a retired player, the team said, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do whats right and in the best interest of the team. (Source)

Best,

Geoff

I just read that too. Like Brett is going to come back and warm a bench.

This is ugly... under these circumstances, he would have been so much better off just fading away. Now he wants to play, the Pack won't release him, and he won't stand to be the backup to Rodgers. Does anyone think he's going to come back as a backup?

Sheesh.

I just read that too. Like Brett is going to come back and warm a bench.

This is ugly... under these circumstances, he would have been so much better off just fading away. Now he wants to play, the Pack won't release him, and he won't stand to be the backup to Rodgers. Does anyone think he's going to come back as a backup?

Sheesh.

I do because the pressure on Aaron is going to be unbelievable. If he falters, all of Green bay will be yelling for Brett. If Rodgers gets injured which I think is very likely, then he plays. I think if he's got the itch to play, the odds are with him that he will play. The down side is that Rodgers gets injured with the team doing very well and Brett stinks up the place which I don't think would happen. I really think he would be ok sitting on the bench.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Does anyone think he's going to come back as a backup?

I doubt it, but he may gamble that the Packers would trade him to get his salary out of the cap equation and come aboard anyway after deciding that any team is better than no team.

I brought up the Joe Montana/Steve Young analogy a couple of times before, but I wasn't thinking about this side of the analogy. The 49ers let the great Joe Montana go because the very good Steve Young had waited long enough, and he was their quarterback of the future.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy was with Montana and the Kansas City Chiefs shortly after that went down. I wonder what lessons he learned from the situation.

Best,

Geoff

Archived