Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this smooth jazz good or bad ?

Jazz+

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Alan Broadbent...we shouldn't say anything about him, just bow our heads in silence.

+1. I love me some Alan B.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I always liked Les McCann...

I didn't realize that Les McCann was considered smooth jazz, but whatever it is, he's amazing. Really great player. There's a bunch of earlier stuff that sort of falls into this "kozmigroov" sort of territory, like the Alphonse Mouzon album I mentioned earlier (he being the drummer of Weather Report, among many other things), but is really good. It may be smooth in the sense that it's not edgy, but it's not that vapid, disgusting New Agey easy listening thing that people associate with smooth jazz stations.

I'm not into smooth jazz at all but my favorite keyboard player David Garfield has stuff that is played on those stations. He writes such great tunes, that he gets away with it. If you buy his albums there's a couple of those tunes on there but they always fit in the flow of the album and are way superior to the average kenny g/Dave Koz pap you hear on those stations. Garfield's great no matter what he does.

John

JohnH can you hip me to some good David Garfield? I have never been able to get into him and I think he thinks awfully highly of himself, but I don't know if I've heard him represented at his best. What albums should I check out?

For L.A. fusion keyboard, give me Steve Weingart over DG.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

diminishes my appreciation for brass instruments.
Nothing could diminish my appreciation for brass instruments. You can't get any lower than none.

Seriously? Oh man, you're missing out. There's nothing like playing with a really good trumpet player.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Seriously? Oh man, you're missing out. There's nothing like playing with a really good trumpet player.

especially when trumpet has a bag...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/ciubi/f/funny0010.jpg

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Nothing could diminish my appreciation for brass instruments. You can't get any lower than none.

They all died. All three of them
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

You mean Armstrong, Davis and Diz? ;)

Unless one of the aforementioned is replaced by Lee Morgan and/or Clifford Brown. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You mean Armstrong, Davis and Diz? ;)

You nailed it. :thu:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

JohnH can you hip me to some good David Garfield? I have never been able to get into him and I think he thinks awfully highly of himself, but I don't know if I've heard him represented at his best. What albums should I check out?

David can really play!

He doesn't play in the style that often but I've heard him sound great in a bebop setting. He knows the tunes and the vocabulary very well. He's quite a versatile guy that can play anything.

I remember many years ago when everyone in town was studying w/ Terry Trotter. A few times my lesson was sandwiched between DG and Russell Ferrante. You always arrived early or stayed late so you could check out the guy before and after you. I was in a no win situation with those 2 guys putting an ear on my Chopin Etudes...haha.

Steve W. is great as well.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I saw an interview with Kenny G today. Seriously, he said there are too many Smooth Jazz artists and they all sound alike. No originality. Go figure. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I saw an interview with Kenny G today. Seriously, he said there are too many Smooth Jazz artists and they all sound alike. No originality. Go figure. :cool:

Translation: Kenny liked it better when his CDs sold well and he dominated the genre. Now that his 90s sound has become passe, it's time to blame someone else. If he had talent more on the lines of Bob James, he'd be cranking out quality music and this wouldn't be an issue. I can't recall the last time I heard G on the radio (maybe he's still there, I just haven't heard him).

Busch.

Translation: Kenny liked it better when his CDs sold well and he dominated the genre. Now that his 90s sound has become passe, it's time to blame someone else. If he had talent more on the lines of Bob James, he'd be cranking out quality music and this wouldn't be an issue. I can't recall the last time I heard G on the radio (maybe he's still there, I just haven't heard him).

Busch.

:D

Somehow, I think we will always hear "Songbird". :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, G says he doesn't pay attention to that fact of having sold 75 million CDs, doesn't listen to cover tunes unless he's thinking about recording them and still practices faithfully 2 hours every day. Bless his heart. ;):cool:

PD

Hands down, Los Lobotomys is my favorite. All star cast with Will Lee, Jeff Porcaro, Carlos Vega, Steve Lukather, Joe Sample Vinnie Colaiuta, Brandon Fields. Great songs, not just a bunch of jamming. Second place is David Garfield and the Cats. Live Document from Karizma, with Neil Stubenhaus, Vinnie on drums, Mike Landau also is smoking. Giving Back is also top notch. I watch Dave live when I can get an off night and he's always the best. Everybody has their own taste so if you don't like it no problem here.

John

Yeah, I don't really get this smooth jazz thing. It doesn't even remotely sound like jazz (not a whole lot of jazz chords, etc.). Case in point: Kenny G. :P (Haven't heard from the fella for years!!!)

Some smooth jazz songs are actually quite good, but yet some more are just too watered down and schmaltzy.

Sixth Stream Studio: http://3s.musicteachershelper.com

www.sixthstreamstudio.vox.com

www.silknsoulband.com

Sonic Bridges (compilation album - Summer 2008 release): www.myspace.com/sonicbridgesmcmp

52 posts and no one has made fun of the fact that the guy in the video goes by the name "Boney." I'm disappointed in all of you. VERY disappointed.

...and as usual, most threads devolve to the penis.

:laugh::D

Ain't cut and paste fun? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Why is everybody hating on Kenny G? Am not a fan, but could think of at least a hundred acts that are worse...

I can't say it any better than Pat Metheny did. Google Metheny and Kenny G and that will sum up my feelings about his musicality, albeit I am not as vehement as Pat is.

Moe

---

52 posts and no one has made fun of the fact that the guy in the video goes by the name "Boney." I'm disappointed in all of you. VERY disappointed.

...and as usual, most threads devolve to the penis.

:laugh::D

Ain't cut and paste fun? :cool:

Ig'nant. I love it. :D

BTW, Boney doesn't look very manly. I think he and Kenny G use the same hairstylist. :laugh::cool:

PD

Funny thing is, G says he doesn't pay attention to that fact of having sold 75 million CDs, doesn't listen to cover tunes unless he's thinking about recording them and still practices faithfully 2 hours every day. Bless his heart. ;):cool:

Why does it take 2 hours to practice a tune's melody? He should use that time intelligently to learn how to improvise :D

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Archived