Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple MacAir notebook!

zephonic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glorified iPod. Looks cute, but definitely not up to professional needs.

I disagree. The fact that the 1.8GHz now has a solid state drive means there are no moving parts anymore. Also, flash memory is way faster than a mechanical hard disk. No moving parts and motors = less energy consumption = superior battery life.

This is the shape of things to come. Now it's only 64GB, but that was a big hard disk as recently as five years ago.

I think Apple are brave for doing it now instead of waiting for the technology to become cheaper. Truly visionary.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Is it a replacement for your MacPro? No, not yet. But what if Apogee decides to built a wi-fi audio interface? :-)

Ah well, y'all stick to your wal-mart pc's then. Go ahead, tell me you use Terratec soundcards and make my day! :-/

Evolutionary, not revolutionary. I'm kinda disappointed. They've just removed a bunch of hardware from the standard macbook, made it thinner and bumped up the price. The touchpad thing is just a gimmick. who cares if it's thinner? what's the big benefit in a thin laptop? a smaller screen would have been more useful from a portability aspect.

Now, a tablet Mac with a 12" touchscreen would have excited me.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Now, a tablet Mac with a 12" touchscreen would have excited me.
Yeah, it's an exercise in ergonomics. Had it had a mutli-touch touchscreen, then we're talking a whole different level of wow, but for $1800, I'll get a real machine with a real processor and a real hard drive (1.8"?!?!?!) Heck, the 1.8GHz is $3100 and you can't downgrade the SSD to the 1.8". I'll stick with my MacBook Pro thank you, not a toy.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I just hope they announce a REAL computer before this show is over.

I have a list of twelve more tricks that I found last weekend that might help me to squeeze a few months more productivity out of my G4 iMac, if I have to wait until May for a new Mac announcement.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

C'mon Mark, you know Apple's announcements are done.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just hope they announce a REAL computer before this show is over.

I have a list of twelve more tricks that I found last weekend that might help me to squeeze a few months more productivity out of my G4 iMac, if I have to wait until May for a new Mac announcement.

New Mac Pro models were announced over a week ago.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Um, yes, I'm talking about a computer we can afford and which meets our needs as music producers. The STARTING price for the new MacPro's is $2800! Or the already-existing quad for $2400.

Apple is continuing to stretch the two ends of the marketplace without addressing the middle. This arrogance will be their undoing if they don't address it soon. And if they don't, you will soon see other cendors or open source communities successfully porting Mac OS X onto well-spec'ed mid-range computers.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

But the iMac is there in the middle, not? I bought mine in March and I am a very happy bunny. Although I hate the fact that they disabled boot camp for Tiger users.

Not really; it's just a glorified uber-laptop with no expandability.

And now it only has glossy screens, so they're out of the question anymore for a semi-pro (and sometimes pro) photographer.

To me, this is simply a notebook intended for a student, or a frequent traveler with limited packing space. I don't see it as being intended for pro or even semi pro use, so it's limitations don't seem like that big a deal. It's when you try and perceive it as a semi pro machine that the criticisms begin. It's the same thing as someone trying to use an iMac for pro DAW use. Sure, it might get you started, but to do the job right you'll need a more expandable machine.

To me, this is simply a notebook intended for a student, or a frequent traveler with limited packing space. I don't see it as being intended for pro or even semi pro use, so it's limitations don't seem like that big a deal. It's when you try and perceive it as a semi pro machine that the criticisms begin.

Precisely. The MacAir fills a need (e.g., for students who need a lightweight, highly portable laptop to haul to/from class), but unfortunately those are not the needs of the Keyboard Corner community. Frankly, though, since the new Mac Pros and MacBook Pros were announced some time ago, I don't know why the absence of announcements regarding professional or prosumer products should come as a surprise to anyone.

My $.02,

Noah

It's not a surprise; just a disappointment that Apple continues to ignore the vast majority of working professionals who need something in between. They are NEVER going to grow to their full potential of the market share if they continue to maintain this arrogance and this "closed system" approach.

Um, yes, I'm talking about a computer we can afford and which meets our needs as music producers. The STARTING price for the new MacPro's is $2800! Or the already-existing quad for $2400.
If your business is producing music, then $2800 is a fair and affordable price for an incredibly high powered tool.

To me, this is simply a notebook intended for a student, or a frequent traveler with limited packing space. I don't see it as being intended for pro or even semi pro use, so it's limitations don't seem like that big a deal. It's when you try and perceive it as a semi pro machine that the criticisms begin.

Precisely. The MacAir fills a need (e.g., for students who need a lightweight, highly portable laptop to haul to/from class),

Noah

But you know what, my Macbook is plenty small and were I back in college, I could easily take it to class. It doesn't need to be smaller.

That thing looks dangerously thin, like a computer wafer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

This is a computer for the traveling business professional- even a MacBook Pro gets to be quite the chore to lug around if you are flying frequently. It is too expensive for a student computer (MacBook) and not powerful enough for what most of us here want.

However, I am looking forward to having some of this "trickle up" to the MacBook Pro- if they can continue to improve power and interface while reducing bulk I am all for it. Yeah, the mobile Penryn chips are waiting, but I understand that we also want the Montevina platform to run them even more efficiently....

C'mon, you know better than that: to do production work, you also need a monitor (preferably 23" or thereabouts) and additional hard drives, at the very least. The REAL price of entry is $4400 -- this is NOT within the budget of a pro bono project studio, which is what most musicians are doing (especially these days).

The number of people for whom the full power (and price) of a MacPro is necessary and within reach budget-wise is miniscule. But maybe they sell enough to the corporate world, such as Pixar, to compensate :-).

This new AirMac thingie is rather elite as well. Steve Jobs just doesn't get why Apple went from being on top to being on bottom the last time around, before his original exodus.

And to think that I recommended to my former employer on two occasions NOT to buy Apple (yes, they were open to being bought or to a merger at that point in time)! Actually in 1988 or 1989, I think I might have been a little more ambivalent than the first time around. But what a different world it would be today if not for my foolish advice back then, which probably allowed the Microsoft dominance to take place in the 90's.

I think the best we can hope for now, is for Mac OS X to get ported to other hardware. There was a period in the 80's where it wasn't a closed shop. That could happen again, with or without Job' blessing. Switching to Windows (at home -- at work I use Windows and Linux and occasionally Sun's various OS's) is not an option, as I have several hundred projects in Digital Performer.

The REAL price of entry is $4400 -- this is NOT within the budget of a pro bono project studio...

Why isn't it? A project studio gladly paid $4000 per ADAT or DA88 when that's what they cost.

How much were reel to reel 8-track machines? And what else did you need to go with it? And how much was that?

How much was an MPC-3000, or a Korg T-1, or an ASR-10, or a K2500???

$4400 for a project studio is a bargain.

I think we are missing the point here. Why this machine is important is because it is the first personal computer without any mechanical moving parts.

Right now it may or may not meet your needs, but again Apple plunged into unknown waters first and by doing so they will contribute to making solid state memory cheaper.

New technology is always expensive and impractical, but if -for thast reason- nobody does anything with it, that would severely hurt progress.

If y'all are working with ultra-fast affordable 250GB solid-state disks in a few years from now, remember that ridiculously expensive notebook.

The REAL price of entry is $4400 -- this is NOT within the budget of a pro bono project studio...

Why isn't it? A project studio gladly paid $4000 per ADAT or DA88 when that's what they cost.

How much were reel to reel 8-track machines? And what else did you need to go with it? And how much was that?

How much was an MPC-3000, or a Korg T-1, or an ASR-10, or a K2500???

$4400 for a project studio is a bargain.

Indeed - and isn't pro project studio a bit of an oxymoron? Professional products are for professional application that makes professional money. The iMac or the Mini is for everything else. That's the middle and low end, and they serve those areas VERY well.

Archived