Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Returning to Forever....

cnegrad

P.S. Kidding. I know what an 8 track is: It's like an iPod for really old people, right?

no, not close

Google victrola for your answer

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the "big one" was 50, and I haven 't quite hit it yet, but it's just around the corner. I felt younger at 40 than I did at 30. But definitely the last year or two I can tell that my body is starting to slow down... though not when it comes to playing on stage! And think about all the old cats that cook on stage better than any younguns, and you've nothing to worry about.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

And think about all the old cats that cook on stage better than any younguns, and you've nothing to worry about.

...except worry itself.

Seriously, worry can take it's toll on your health; and that can make you look and feel older.

What was this thread about again?

At least (I think) most of us are younger than Chick; but yeah, he sure can cook!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Chick and Herbie are both 67. i.e. they were both born in 1940. Chick's 60th birthday was a big deal at the Blue Note. Hard to believe that was seven years ago now. Even harder to believe that in 3 short years, Chick and Herbie will be SEVENTY. That's insane. These guys do not seem that old.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Gas, you really need to do some house cleaning in the new year. How much was that show? $10? $.50 handling...more like $10 just for the handling change these days. Then again, somewhere in my basement, I have a 25+ year old Weather Report ticket stub signed by Joe, Wayne, and Jaco.

I saw RTF during the "Musicmagic" tour. Hated that album but went anyway because getting to see Chick and Stanley with Steve Gadd was worth having to listen to Gayle Moran. Maybe. OK, maybe not. I just don't dig her, period. For me, she's the Linda McCartney of fusion. YMMV.

I think RTFs best period was the Airto band, but the Bill Connors period was great too... I lost interest when Al got on board even though Romantic Warrior has some nice moments (esp on the OGWT clips)... I always felt Al's sound was too fast, staccato, muted and irritating... Bill just flowed...

RTF in 2008 will be an interesting sound I bet... heavy on the rhodes yet less nostalgia I think... I bet Chick would really kill on those old tunes now...

For me, she's the Linda McCartney of fusion.

ROTFLMAO! +1,000,000! :thu:

RTF in 2008 will be an interesting sound I bet... heavy on the rhodes yet less nostalgia I think...

I dunno about that. From what I hear, Al-The-Mediocre's got a major chip on his shoulder, and now that he's finally back in the band that made him famous, I'll be surprised if he's willing to sit back and let Chick take the forefront. But I hope I'm wrong...

So you either have a scrapbook or haven't done laundry in a while? You should get Chick to autograph it....

...personality disorder. I save everything.

I've got quite a few. :)

No sense in throwing something away if you can save it, right?

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I think RTFs best period was the Airto band, but the Bill Connors period was great too... I lost interest when Al got on board even though Romantic Warrior has some nice moments (esp on the OGWT clips)... I always felt Al's sound was too fast, staccato, muted and irritating... Bill just flowed...

hey, I love too fast, staccato, muted , poignant, tasteful, energetic. DiMeola is incredibly talented.

Don't overlook that ' fusion ' was in full bloom in the '70's. Al had a nice twist on fusion with his great technique and background

[70's Songwriter]

I saw RTF during the "Musicmagic" tour. Hated that album but went anyway because getting to see Chick and Stanley with Steve Gadd was worth having to listen to Gayle Moran. Maybe. OK, maybe not. I just don't dig her, period. For me, she's the Linda McCartney of fusion. YMMV.

Thanks for the first laugh of the day! I almost did a spit-take on my computer when I read that!

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Hey, Gas, I'm with ya, brother. I thought everyone saved their concert tickets. :confused: I still have almost all of mine dating back to my very first show: Van Halen at the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland (Diver Down tour, 1982). The opening act was After The Fire. ("Dont turn around uh-oh / Der Kommissar's in town uh-oh"...)

Noah

Hey, Gas, I'm with ya, brother. I thought everyone saved their concert tickets. :confused: I still have almost all of mine dating back to my very first show: Van Halen at the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland (Diver Down tour, 1982). The opening act was After The Fire. ("Dont turn around uh-oh / Der Kommissar's in town uh-oh"...)

Noah

Good on ya Noah. :thu:

Yeah. I know that hunters are supposed to be as efficient as possible. But you can't eat everything.

So, I'm a saver.

Hey, the memory's bad and it ain't gettin' no betta, so you gotta do something, right?

I've got a scanner to scan and a tower full of hard drives to hold it all. Even then, I can't seem to throw away the originals.

I mean, those Playboy mags from the early sixties are gonna be worth a LOT one day, right? And I'll be honest - I didn't subscribe just for the articles. Nosiree. :D

No, the truth is that this ticket stub was in my desk. Way back in the top drawer. Under a wee-little box of navel lint.

You laugh and I agree, that's pretty funny.

You see, I usually keep my navel lint in the fridge - but with the holidays and all, I ran outta room. :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I thought the "big one" was 50, and I haven 't quite hit it yet, but it's just around the corner. I felt younger at 40 than I did at 30. But definitely the last year or two I can tell that my body is starting to slow down... though not when it comes to playing on stage! And think about all the old cats that cook on stage better than any younguns, and you've nothing to worry about.
30 was the bomb! Finally old enough to realize I didn't know a thing but still young enough to be agile and pain-free. And beauty is so wasted on youth! We all thought we were the ugliest ducklings back at 20, but a few decades later it's pretty clear that was not the case. (Sure, some are late bloomers, but still.)

Seriously, worry can take it's toll on your health; and that can make you look and feel older.
Well, I'd call it stress, but we're talking about the same thing here. Too much stress can do more than prematurely age you; it can literally make you sick! Don't want to catch a cold this winter? Drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest, wash your hands, and reduce your stress. That will do wonders for your immune system.

Although they call them "worry lines", the wrinkles I see on my peers are more the product of debauchery. They wear their smoking and alcohol habits quite visibly. (Not to mention all those trips to the tanning salon, but don't get me started on the evils of UV radiation!) I'm not saying you shouldn't drink or smoke; I'm just paraphrasing Ben Franklin when I say moderation is a good thing.

I remember hearing that music is a great lifelong pursuit. A lot of kids get involved in athletics -- and they need that to learn to be physically active throughout life -- but eventually your body will say enough is enough. There's no "seniors" league for American football for a reason. In contrast you can pursue music pretty much your whole life.

I'm sure RTF 2008 is going to kick some major a$$.

Yeah, I was disappointed too when I saw it was going to be the Al DiMeola lineup. The irony is that I like Al's own solo albums better than the work he did with RTF! That music seemed soullless to me, compared to the Airto/Flora era and Bill Connors' work.

I liked Linda McCartney a lot, and thought she added a lot to that material. As Denny Laine said, she was way underrated as a musician just because someone decided to isolate some of her tracks and show she had a few notes that were off here and there. How come it's OK for Bob Dylan then? Misogyny at work again, just as in the hatred for another underrated genius, Yoko Ono.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

... just as in the hatred for another underrated genius, Yoko Ono.

Umm, are you serious?

Noah

She is. I have many of her tunes as midi files

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 months later...
[ I guarantee you, though, that I can name at least as many 1980s hair metal bands as the rest of you guys. So I got that going for me...which is nice! ;

Noah

wow, that would make for a fun trivia contest at 3:00 am Sunday morning

:D

I'm in!!!

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• 1 month later...

:):D:) OMG I can't wait until the Cleveland show.

Tour Dates. You Don't want to miss this show.

Check out this clip from the 1st Rehearsal

Gear Watch

The New Rhodes

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08

Motif XS6

What Moog pedal is that?

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

hey, I love too fast, staccato, muted , poignant, tasteful, energetic. DiMeola is incredibly talented.

Don't overlook that ' fusion ' was in full bloom in the '70's. Al had a nice twist on fusion with his great technique and background

+1, Al's mellowed a lot in the last 20 years. His CD's & shows are always a pleasure. I met him at the Montreal Jazz Fest once, and he was a very nice guy.

Oh and did I mention I'm going to see this show with a couple of my muso buds this summer? :rawk:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

:)

Well I consider myself to be very knowledgable about that era... though I much preferred what was happening in the jazz funk and kozmigroov genres... seems to me everyone thinks jazz fusion was all about Cobham, WR, RTF, MO and Headhunters... those were the bands that the record companies got behind, or the bands most people knew of because they could find them in the shops.

Of course there were literally 1000s of bands back then ... for instance the first Pop Workshop LP (with Wlodek Gulgowski on keys) totally kills anything MO ever did (at least on record, some of their live stuff is brilliant!) and there were some great things from Hal Galper, Mike Longo and Hadley Caliman on Mainstream... then theres all the jazz on Strata East, Blackjazz, Tribe, Catalyst, as well as all the great Japanese stuff from the early to mid 70s (e.g. Masabumi Kikuchi), then all that great Brazilian jazz fusion stuff... European jazz on MPS, etc..

Archived