Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keyboard should I buy? >$400

spinktodo

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a keyboard for myself for Christmas... This wont be my first keyboard but I'm not looking for anything too crazy. I would like pressure sensitive keys and a note display. USB connection would be nice as well... I'm looking to spend between $200 and $400, new or used, so any info you can offer would be great. Bang for the buck factor is also good, so if there's something for $200 that's a great value, tell me that too.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a keyboard for myself for Christmas... This wont be my first keyboard but I'm not looking for anything too crazy. I would like pressure sensitive keys and a note display. USB connection would be nice as well... I'm looking to spend between $200 and $400, new or used, so any info you can offer would be great. Bang for the buck factor is also good, so if there's something for $200 that's a great value, tell me that too.

Thanks!

I know not what you want to hear but I would honestly save up and get something that is reliable, newer and has decent modern features unless your looking for something vintage.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

What about the Yamaha NP-30? About $300, a featherweight 11 pounds, 76 keys. It even looks like a stage piano.

link

correction: closer to 12 pounds.

I know someone who purchased this keyboard (through the Sears catalogue), and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'll let you know if I find the action impossible, or if it just requires a different approach.

Looks interesting, like Yamaha's response to Casio DPs.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

The current "low end" bunch of synthesizers is around the 600-800 range. You might search for an used one and save a few bucks.

Generally, they sound quite good, but have few possibilities to customize your sounds.

Ideas:

Kurzweil KME61

Yamaha MM6

Korg X50

Roland Juno-D

I bought a Yamaha YPG-200 / DGX 220

or is it

YPG-220 / DGX 200

For the price I really like the keybed feel, though its not weighted.

USB is there. Its an arranger keyboard so you can get up and running making accompanied 'songs' pretty easily.

Built in speakers too.

As people said though, although it has about 400 different patches (sounds) other than reverb and chorus, you can't really modify them.

Its got some great learning features for beginners too.

Now I also use it as a controller keyboard for a soft-synth on my computer.

I've been happy with it. :)

M-Audio Axiom 61

Native Instruments B4 II

Rhodes emulation

Z3TA+

Hauptwerk

I think Yamaha is by far the best for "consumer-oriented keyboards"

I am a professional and I have a couple of Yamahas (sorry I forgot the model. I keep one a my folks house, my in laws house, and one I keep in my office and I take it on vacations (I'm a bit of a pratice freak) The one I take on trips has been all over the world and I just put in a soft case and it has never been damaged. My "practice" keyboards also run on battieries which is nice because my travels often are in rual areas with no electricity.

I have an NP30 and like it too.

But it has some drawbacks:

No Hammond patches, does pipe organ instead;

No clavinet patches, does harpsichord instead;

Keys are a little small, and I've found I fumble a lot on them;

Only audio out is stereo;

No aftertouch;

Sustain pedal not included (but there is an input);

No mod wheel or pitch bend; and

Very light touch - but I mostly like that.

Can't remember if it does USB or not. Still, great bang for the buck, nice piano, string, vibe and ep patches, has a dual mode, and the 12 lbs. bit is awesome.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I haven't measured the keys, but they seem narrower. Definitely shorter.

My guess for the target market on this is a choir director who has to slap together a rehearsal in a temporary space, or an outdoor performance. I know the pipe organ works nicely for an outdoor wedding, or in a rental hall - I've already done it.

As to leaving off the Hammond - they would have at least needed to add a switch for the leslie, and some dsp support. So that makes sense. But the harpsichord over the clav - that just screams choir director to me. Though ISTM the key size would drive a choir director nuts.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived