Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Classical Sheet music for prog type riffs??

playstation

Hi all, I was watching some Youtube videos of people playing Chopin, and I realized that the fast runs up and down the keyboard remind me of some contemporary prog rock stuff.

Today's stuff never seems to be documented note for note, but the Chopin stuff is written note for note with fingering. :thu:

Can anyone suggest classical sheet music that shows really cool quintessential note riffs up and down that would lead to getting good at moving around on the board. The problem I'm having is that scales only point out the notes to be used, but not cool ways to properly rip up and down the board. :P

Moog Model D re-issue, Kurzweil Artis SE

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One ovbious choice: Allegro Barbaro by Bela Bartok. Two minutes of Hungarian bad-assedness. Keith Emerson cranked it up to eleven on a Hammond, renamed it "The Barbarian", and opened ELP's first album with it. Actually, harmonically and chops-wise, any Bartok is prog-appropriate.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

3rd movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, as long as you don't mind c# minor. Quite a few of Chopin works are good too. Now if you want a piece that you can flip through an just grab some cool riffs...Rachmaninoff's Rach 3. can't be beat (I wouldn't dream of actually trying to play the full piece myself).

If you have a sequencer that can read midi and show the notation then the web site below can be a source of inspiration.

An hour of browsing, listening and downloading midi and you'll have enough stuff to practice for months.

http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/

The nice thing about midi is taking just the sections you are interested in and pasting them into one sequence for practice or listening (and transposing).

If you have a sequencer that can read midi and show the notation then the web site below can be a source of inspiration.

An hour of browsing, listening and downloading midi and you'll have enough stuff to practice for months.

http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/

The nice thing about midi is taking just the sections you are interested in and pasting them into one sequence for practice or listening (and transposing).

I have Ableton and Band in a Box. BB can cipher audio mp3 to chords which I use sometimes. I haven't tried disecting midi files, but these programs can do it maybe?

Moog Model D re-issue, Kurzweil Artis SE

4'33"...LOL! I was going to do that for my senior piano recital in college. But I opted for Cage's Music Walk instead. :)

And BTW, classical music in general helps you shred because the music is quite heavy on shredding, anyway. :) Yes, I suggest all periods of classical music except Classical period. It's too plain. For major shredding stuff, Bach's fugues and inventions (or anything contrapuntal--the more voices, the better!) are great exercises. (Counterpoint is tricky stuff! If you mess up one voice, you'll mess up the other--it's like a domino effect.) And yes, Romantic pieces like Chopin's--a definite must for keyboard shredders! Let's not forget Impressionism (Ravel and Debussy). Their stuff have lots and lots of runs. And of course, obviously Contemporary (20th century) music as well because of the shifting meter or time signature, and funky-looking chords with funky voicings. The forms on prog rock are actually based on classical music, so classical music is the best choice to get your fingers up and running. :)

Sixth Stream Studio: http://3s.musicteachershelper.com

www.sixthstreamstudio.vox.com

www.silknsoulband.com

Sonic Bridges (compilation album - Summer 2008 release): www.myspace.com/sonicbridgesmcmp

One ovbious choice: Allegro Barbaro by Bela Bartok. Two minutes of Hungarian bad-assedness.

I don't have anything constructive to add here. I just like the sound of the phrase "Hungarian bad-assedness." If you say it a couple of time it starts to sound like "Hungarian bad acid mess."

Anyway, carry on...

Mike

One ovbious choice: Allegro Barbaro by Bela Bartok. Two minutes of Hungarian bad-assedness.

I don't have anything constructive to add here. I just like the sound of the phrase "Hungarian bad-assedness." If you say it a couple of time it starts to sound like "Hungarian bad acid mess."

Anyway, carry on...

Mike

Funny you say that, because on certain nights in college, "The Barbarian" did sound like a Hungarian bad acid mess. :freak:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Bach is good, but not real prog-y, in the sense that he never really went "out". Berlioz had great melody lines, but wasn't real shred oriented. But I could see someone taking his ideas and getting real shreddy with them. Bartok's a good call too.

I'd look at the Russians for melodic content too. And talk about bad-ass Hungarians - Liszt had amazing chops. Plus, for a bad-acid mess, you could always watch Lisztomania. :rolleyes:

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Bach is good, but not real prog-y, in the sense that he never really went "out".
Most prog doesn't really go out either, and a whole lot of it lives in the major and melodic minor world that Bach mastered.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Huh. Guess I don't listen to enough of the genre. Emerson definitely listened to the Russians - Not just Pictures, but most of his improv seems to spend some time in those Russian scales Bach would never have touched.

Topographic Oceans seemed to move beyond Baroque / Classical tonality as well.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived