Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - new iMac

Flexby

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no upgrade price. iLife is priced at such a ridiculously low price as it is for what you get, that there is no upgrade price. It's barely more than $10 an app as it is, and almost every one of those apps would fetch more than $50 a piece if sold individually...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I wonder how long until iLife 08 begins shipping with MacMini's?

It should be on all Macs *now* and if you get one w/o, you use the Software Coupon to get the latest version. However, all new iMacs and Minis (which were also updated - quietly) should have iLife 08 in box.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It should be on all Macs *now*

Not necessarily true - it should be on Mac being produced now, and any Macs produced in the last couple of days (or whenever the most recent master install set reached the production line), but anything before that, which will include much of Apple's own stocks of machines, will not have it on it. It *should* be on all new (ie updated yesterday) iMacs and Minis.

It should be on all Macs *now*

Not necessarily true - it should be on Mac being produced now, and any Macs produced in the last couple of days (or whenever the most recent master install set reached the production line), but anything before that, which will include much of Apple's own stocks of machines, will not have it on it. It *should* be on all new (ie updated yesterday) iMacs and Minis.

That's why I mentioned the Software update Coupon, so you can get it if it's not included. I should have been clearer about where you get your Mac can affect whether or not it's in the box, but if you get your Mac from Apple, you should be getting iLife '08, and I'm sure you can ask them to make sure.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've bought a few MacMini's at work for our client day programs and still have a few to buy. I've been getting one a month and purchase through an online retailer. I may hold off a month to see if they clear current stock before I get the next unit.

The reason I get these is iLife and iWork. I start them off creating newsletters

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The new Imac brings up one question for me.

Back in the day when I bought my G4 Powerbook (which had one FW400 and one FW800 port) I had to buy a "card slot to FW" adapter for my audio in/out. I had MOTU 828s (FW400) and Lacie external drives (FW800) for recording, and was told by Apple that if I plugged both into the ports on the laptop, they would interfere with each other. I guess the two ports, though different speeds, shared some bus architecture.

Does anyone know if this is still a problem? Obviously, Imacs also have only one (each) 400 and 800 port and no card slots. If I bought an Imac, would I have issues running 400 audio interfaces and 800 recording drives? I'd like to think that this is a problem long since solved.

Remember, the iMac is a consumer machine. Separate FW buses are not consumer needs. The iMacs, I would almost guarantee, share 1 FW bus for 400 and 800. That said, the bus should be more than robust enough unless you are trying to stream massive amounts of 96khz/24bit samples or audio files. What are your audio I/O and drive needs in that regard?

The iMacs, I would almost guarantee, share 1 FW bus for 400 and 800

I figured this was probably the case.

the bus should be more than robust enough unless you are trying to stream massive amounts of 96khz/24bit samples or audio files

You would certainly think so.

If I get one of these machines it will really only be used by me working alone, making song demos. I'll just need it to get the Ivory, Kontakt, Mach5 type data off of my Lacie FW800 drives, and let me hear it (with whatever plugs I want to add) , one pass at a time. It should be able to do all that easily, but since it was presented to me as a "no good" on my G4 PB, I feel compelled to ask.

Actually, it should have worked fine on your PB too. If you still have it, give it a shot. The main thing is to make sure you have plenty of RAM, preferably maxed out. Realize that the RAM in the iMac will be faster than the PB, as will the processor, so you can expect a better result from the iMac than the PB.

The iMac can also be maxed out with more RAM (especially with the newer models able to have 4 GB) than can an older PB. I think those max out at 1.25 GB or so, but I would have to look to make sure what the exact number is.

Archived