Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too much Youtube

Corner Pocket

Can somebody create a sticky where all the "look at this what I found on Youtube" threads can go? The first page is becoming almost 50% Youtube links, and it's getting harder to find threads that discuss what we are doing as opposed to what someone who DOESN'T participate in this forum did once.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:grin:

:thu:

One benefit of my slow dial up connection at home...is that I generally don't bother with YouTube/video links 'cuz they just won't load...or load in bits and pieces.

At work I have a super fast connection...but yeah...seems like some days all we get around here is recycled YouTube links....in droves.

Hey...some of them are cool...and relevant...but it can get boring after awhile, especially when the same videos start to cycle back around from time to time.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Out of 25 that I display as the first page I think there are 4 YouTube clips, they are usually just used as a basis for lots of discussion that follows, I don't think the Mods would allow a stickey for just that but I could be wrong I guess. It seems that when things slow down on regular posts there is a tendancy to post YouTube, and there will be a natural slow down of posts because it's summertime, this always happens.

:grin:

One benefit of my slow dial up connection at home...is that I generally don't bother with YouTube/video links 'cuz they just won't load...or load in bits and pieces.

At work I have a super fast connection...but yeah...seems like some days all we get around here is recycled YouTube links....in droves.

Hey...some of them are cool...and relevant...but it can get boring after awhile, especially when the same videos start to cycle back around from time to time.

I know how much you LOVE stickies!! :D

I know how much you LOVE stickies!! :D

It's not so much that I dislike "stickies" themselves...it's just that 99% of the time when I check the forum...the sticky threads have not seen ANY action in a long time...meanwhile the active threads are pushed down below.

And I can see the thing with also having one YouTube thread after another getting posted...as that too just pushes the active/discussion threads even further down.

But I agree that sometimes a YouTube thread will lead to a fruitful discussion. :thu:

(And sometimes to silly bickering over a particular artist's music prowess).

It's hard to please everyone all the time.....

I'd suggest a Y/T: prefix rather than trying to wedge all the youtube videos into a single thread... Or maybe something else that wouldn't be confused in a guitar forum with Y & T ??? :)

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

I'd suggest a Y/T: prefix rather than trying to wedge all the youtube videos into a single thread...

The Y/T prefix might be a good way to help people quickly spot a tread that is another YouTube redirect...

but I think what rockincyanblues was getting at is that sometimes with so many back-to-back individual Y/T threads....they tend to push active discussion threads down and/or off the page.

I think what they do on the Bass Player Forum is a good way to goyou just corral all the YoutTube links into one thread that is NOT a sticky thread, but rather its just bumped up naturally by all the people posting YouTube links.

There is a difference between the forums (fora?) though. GPF does tend to discuss the youtube links more interactively, share and critique. Over at LDLD we tend to just post them. I wish we would respond more on LD, but people don't. It would make a pretty decent yt thread over here though with side threads as necessary.

IMO, treating it the way we treat OTs is the best way. Either with a shortened "YT" or actually typing "YouTube", somewhere in the title. Personally, I like the "YouTube" idea, as the YT might throw off newcomers.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Can somebody create a sticky where all the "look at this what I found on Youtube" threads can go? The first page is becoming almost 50% Youtube links, and it's getting harder to find threads that discuss what we are doing as opposed to what someone who DOESN'T participate in this forum did once.

Geez... it isn't like you have to get up and change a channel or anything... it's a click of the mouse... If what you want is not on the first page then click the second page... :idea: I have no problem with YouTube as these guys on here tend to critique and analyze them... I've learned alot from them... Besides, doesn't Doc have shares in YouTube? We gots ta' take care a' Doc... :thu:

PS... No dissrespect to you RockinCy.... :thu:

Geez... it isn't like you have to get up and change a channel or anything... it's a click of the mouse... If what you want is not on the first page then click the second page... :idea: I have no problem with YouTube as these guys on here tend to critique and analyze them... I've learned alot from them... Besides, doesn't Doc have shares in YouTube? We gots ta' take care a' Doc... :thu:

LOL.... :grin:

For THE RECORD, I do not have stock in YouTube.....I sold it and MADE A KILLING!!!!

just kidding.... ;)

I think that YouTube is an amazing source of old video of artists that I've never seen in other places. A great example are the Allman Bro vids from The Filmore, recorded during the same two shows from which the famous LIVE AT....albums were taken.

Ramp is right.....just don't click on it.

Also, this idea that active threads get pushed off page one is incorrect. If they were really active, they'd NOT get pushed off page one.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I think if you make it a sticky thing nobody will go there. I never check out that stuff except share the music.

I've been making that point for some time...but, I'm always outvoted. ;)

I like seeing some of the YouTube videosbut many are just filler.

Don always seems to find some real great classic vids for us to check out! :thu:

I don't think anyone is really against them...I think it was more of a positive suggestion by rockincyanblues to try and "corral" them a bit so there are not multiple, successive Y/T threads with little content other than just links to another website...

This need not be a major debate with "sides" drawn up..........

It doesn't seem like there's THAT many posts about YouTube. I like them, because I'm in the same boat as miroslav. I've got a slow connection at home, so I watch YouTube at work. I can find a lot of cool stuff on my break when someone points me in the right direction. A friend of mine sent me to the link for a video of Bobby darin doing 'Got My Mojo Working' that was incredible. But I doubt I ever would have found it by poking around.

I think the 'Y/T'prefix is a good idea...or maybe we could compromise and agree: no more YouTube clips of Jimmie Vaughan!

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

I too like the YouTube vids. I submitted my own video to Jimmy Bruno at the Gutiar Institute online and it was great! He posted it on his website and then critiqued my playing! For anybody who DOES like YouTube vids, there's plenty of guys playing guitar on the site. LOOK FOR ME! But maybe this is OT. Sorry...

LOL I just remembered having to get up to change the dial....and turn the record over.

Remember when there was only 3 channels Fumbles? And all the stations went off the air at 11 or 12 at night? And then the first remote control was a box attached to the TV by a 15 foot cable? Geez, when that came out I thought it was the holy grail...... If you remember all of that then the click of a mouse seems so easy but in this day and age we want everything faster and faster... Damn I'm old... :cry:

Archived