Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your FAV DINNER

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a simpleton. Give me a nice slab of Kobe, preferably a NY Strip, medium rare, with a side of garlic mashed reds (skins on!) with green peppercorn sauce. A basic Caesar, fresh tossed (you can keep that crappy "caesar" bottled dressing). I'm not much for dessert, probably because I drink and smoke. Start me off with a good German weissbier, unfiltered, with my salad. Bring a good black stout - Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout or similar - with my steak. After dinner, a nice peaty single-malt, rocks, and an Al Capone rum-dipped cigarillo.

One of my favorites...

*Carraba's: Mama's Sicilian Chicken soup with the bread they serve and dip and a side salad.

*The Edelweiss Inn @ Helen, Ga: Jaeger schnitzel mit pom frits und salat. :grin: with bier or a German Mosel Riesling wein of course.

But actually, my wife makes my favorite meals.

She makes the absolute BEST Lasagna & spaghetti...bar none! :)

She also makes a FANTASTIC breaded cube steak with a dark brown gravy with english peas & mashed potatos & gravy!

YUMMMMMMM-YUM! :grin:

Randy

"Just play!"

I love everything pasta...most of all with garlic and olive oil

crack one egg in it lots of parmasian cheese.

No room for desert when i'm done

Second would be a nice roast beef dinner with potatos,brussels sprouts gravy soft bread w/butter and a good football game

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

What is it? you get to order exactly, cooked and prepaired to perfection, cost is not a issue at all..because it's free! Oh and fav desert too../ fav salad dressing too! and ..fav before, during and after drinks!

It would be anything from the menu at Cafe Paradiso in Cork, Ireland. Simply the best restaurant in the world. And it's all vegetarian.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Well, I hate to be self-glorifying, but personally, if I can have any meal in the world, I'm probably the one cooking it (I made up the recipes for all of the following, save the wine).

For mine, it would consist of:

- A spring salad with center-cut, fresh-cooked bacon bits, fresh raspberries, and a raspberry-chambord vinaigrette

- A loaf of homemade French bread with garlic butter

- A grilled 8-ounce ribeye marinated in red wine, garlic, and olive oil and then rubbed with peppercorns, rosemary, oregano, basil, and sea salt (grilled with mesquite chips and smoked with fresh oregano)

- A raspberry cheesecake

All served with a 2002 Sonoma County Merlot

Shut up and play.

- A grilled 8-ounce ribeye marinated in red wine, garlic, and olive oil and then rubbed with peppercorns, rosemary, oregano, basil, and sea salt (grilled with mesquite chips and smoked with fresh oregano)

My lord, man. You just ruined a perfectly good piece of meat!

Leave the marinade for the chuck steaks. They need it!

I will have Alaskan kng crb legs, lamb chops, green beans, caesar salad, some kind of good soup, maybe a couple jumbo fried shrimp.

Ice coldcrappy domestic beer (miller lite?), served in a frosty mug. A nice cigar does seem like the best way to end it. My favorite are te-amo meditations.

Yeah, when I'm looking to treat myself to a meal, I usually go steak, too.

I'll take a filet or prime rib, on the rare side of medium rare (more rare for the prime rib). Mixed greens salad is fine with a little virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Uh, some sort of veggies to counteract all the cholesterol in the steak: maybe some plain steamed broccoli (just a tad crunchy still). A slice of just-out-of-the-oven pumpernickel or rye bread with a crunchy crust (hold the butter). Do I have to have a starch? I guess I'll go with the stereotypical baked potato with a little butter and lots of sour cream. Just to show I don't have a total aversion to spices, toss on some chives. ;)

Start off with a shrimp cocktail and a chardonnay. (I'm not picky; an Australian like [yellow tail] is fine.) A nice pino noir for the entree. (I'm not much of a red fan but I do like pino noir.) For dessert, just a scoop of strawberry ice cream or maybe raspberry sherbert. Cleanse the palette and then it's time for cognac and an Ashton.

Some other wonderful meals I've had include: East coast clam bake, real Southern barbeque (nothing up north compares), anything in New Orleans (creole, jumbalaya, etouffee, oysters on the half shell, etc.), West coast sushi (the fresher the better), lobster pound Maine lobster, smoked whitefish and pasties from the U.P., Pizza Papalis Chicago-style pizza (sorry, Detroit makes it better, but you still win with the Cheesecake Factory), Korean barbeque cooked tableside over real charcoal (gotta love NYC), and halibut and salmon in the Kenai Peninsula while watching a fisherman clean his catch.

Good call there, Bruce. :thu: I've had pretty good lamb chops at La Shish and king crab is probably my favorite food of all time (but steak wins because it's easier to eat). But Miller Lite? For real? Remind me to BYOB next time we get together. ;)

Scungilli Fra Diavolo over linguine, a real Caesar salad(yes, with anchovies!), toasted focaccia with Kalamata olives and roasted garlic, some sharp provolone or asiago, a bottle of Masi Amerone, pecan pie with cashews in the mix, with a Drambuie or Frangelico on the rocks.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I liked La Shish too. I thought they were shut down for money laundering or for a terrorist group?

Maybe new ownership? Actually I reneg my statement regarding the lamb chops. I would rather go with a kabob. I think they are easier to eat and the lamb is usually more tasty and equally tender if you go to a good place. I did like the way La Shish prepared it because they used real wood chunks to cook it as opposed to gas chargrilled.

beirut palace has some incredible lamb here in royal oak. I would say for the money it is the best restaurant around here, especially if you like lamb. I get sick of middle eastern food though. I get sick of anything if I eat it to often.

I know the restaurant you are talking about Lee. I have been meaning to try it. My brother in law said it was good too.

... a real Caesar salad(yes, with anchovies)...

Ahhh! But this is a common misconception. "Real" Caesar salad is made with Worcestershire sauce, not anchovies! Now, there are anchovies in the Worcestershire sauce, but when Chef Caesar first came up with his famous salad, he made the dressing with coddled eggs(not raw) and Worcestershire sauce. No other anchovies were included.

And now you know the rest of the story!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My favorite is usually whatever I happen to be in the mood for at the time. In honor of Ellwood's Motown connection and my Motown roots, I offer the following comfort-food menu:

Kowalski's Kielbasa, char-broiled

My Mom's homemade pierogues (yum!)

Some sliced home-growm tomatoes, generously salted & peppered

Vernor's ginger ale

For dessert - Canolis from Old Village Bakery on Mound Road in Warren, MI!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

OK....I think I'll hide this in this pre existing thread. :grin:

First of all...I'm not trying to start any crap.

But...did any of you catch the news out of Belgium today?

Yep, that's right. Belgium is now enforcing a law...even with infrared detecting helicopters.

You now have to pay the equivalent of $27 U.S. dollars EVERY TIME you grill in the form of carbon offsets.

I don't know about you, but that would buy about 4 decent filet mignons down here in Georgia.

Google it up. You'll find it.

This may be spread further than I thought.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/60365-new-carbon-charges-your-barbecue.html

I guess all powered lawn machines will be next.

I'm sorry man, I just don't understand it. :rolleyes:

Talking about all this food reminded me of the story.

Randy

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_03/bbqMOS3103_468x432.jpg

"Just play!"

Shrimp cooked in herbs, garlic and cream over angel hair pasta with steamed asparagus.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

OK....I think I'll hide this in this pre existing thread. :grin:

First of all...I'm not trying to start any crap.

But...did any of you catch the news out of Belgium today?

Yep, that's right. Belgium is now enforcing a law...even with infrared detecting helicopters.

You now have to pay the equivalent of $27 U.S. dollars EVERY TIME you grill in the form of carbon offsets.

I don't know about you, but that would buy about 4 decent filet mignons down here in Georgia.

Google it up. You'll find it.

This may be spread further than I thought.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/60365-new-carbon-charges-your-barbecue.html

I guess all powered lawn machines will be next.

I'm sorry man, I just don't understand it. :rolleyes:

Talking about all this food reminded me of the story.

Randy

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_03/bbqMOS3103_468x432.jpg

his wife looks hot :grin:

... a real Caesar salad(yes, with anchovies)...

Ahhh! But this is a common misconception. "Real" Caesar salad is made with Worcestershire sauce, not anchovies! Now, there are anchovies in the Worcestershire sauce, but when Chef Caesar first came up with his famous salad, he made the dressing with coddled eggs(not raw) and Worcestershire sauce. No other anchovies were included.

And now you know the rest of the story!

?!

Where'd this story come from?

I worked in a restaurant as a pantry chef, every damned Wednesday night I tossed dozens of Caesars with raw egg, olive oil, anchovy paste, balsamic vinegar and a few herbs. Italian night. All you can eat pasta, and I spent the whole night tossing Caesars and frying calamari. I hated that job....

Archived