Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your FAV DINNER

Dr. Ellwood

My favorite is usually whatever I happen to be in the mood for at the time. In honor of Ellwood's Motown connection and my Motown roots, I offer the following comfort-food menu:

Kowalski's Kielbasa, char-broiled

My Mom's homemade pierogues (yum!)

Some sliced home-growm tomatoes, generously salted & peppered

Vernor's ginger ale

For dessert - Canolis from Old Village Bakery on Mound Road in Warren, MI!

LOL HAY! You got that completely right! good job! The Vernors from the old factory on Woodward! the sausage from The Dearborn Sausage Company on Michigan Av. The tomatoes from a early morning trip to the Old Eastern Market..Hay but you did good! good memory!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favorite is usually whatever I happen to be in the mood for at the time. In honor of Ellwood's Motown connection and my Motown roots, I offer the following comfort-food menu:

Vernor's ginger ale

Don't forget the galumpkes (stuffed cabbages) and potato pancakes!

Add some vanilla ice cream to that Vernors for a Boston Cooler!

Speaking of ice cream, how about a Sanders ice cream puff covered in fudge? (I found one of these somewhere fairly recently but now I've forgotten where!)

[Did you have your paczkis for Fat Tuesday this year? ;) ]

Lee, I know the place you're talking about. I haven't been there since the new owners. I assume the Middle Eastern food in this metro area is as close as you can get without actually going over there; for take-out I find the shawarmas are addictive. Supposedly we have decent Indian, too, according to the med students from India. Authentic Chinese is better found in CA, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, ... many places, even our "southern" neighbor Windsor. Ah well, need some reason to travel! ;)

Depends. I can either go for a good Argentinian parrillada, with lots of weird bits and pieces or...

there was a great place in Palermo, Sicily. Well, just outside it, in a town called Sferracavallo. And it was one of those places where there was no menu and they'd simply bring fish courses. 12 or 13 *small* courses, whatever was fresh that day, one after the other. Wine, water and bread thrown in for free, as much as you can drink. Wonderful.

There's Italian food, and then there's Sicily.

- A grilled 8-ounce ribeye marinated in red wine, garlic, and olive oil and then rubbed with peppercorns, rosemary, oregano, basil, and sea salt (grilled with mesquite chips and smoked with fresh oregano)

My lord, man. You just ruined a perfectly good piece of meat!

Leave the marinade for the chuck steaks. They need it!

Do not knock the steak until you've tried it. I assure you, I thought all of that through.

Shut up and play.

Well it`s pouring out, so much for the post office so I have some time. I may amend it later but here`s mine off the top of my head, assuming

1. I haven`t eaten all day

2. I don`t have to search my memory for a particular restaraunt, just an ideal example of each and

3. No legal consequences.

Personally I`m not a steak, chop guy at all, no interest. Maybe I`ve been out of the U.S. too long but no thanks. In fact I`m hopelessly international, this is going to totally ignore national cuisine-maybe some experimentation going but here goes.

For an appetizer, nachos, sushi with a choice of wasabi or Dijon mustard (my own little invention), small glass of (cold of course) sake, preferably Denshu from northern Honshu or something from Ibaraki, next province up from here.

opening act, choice A would be jambalaya, choice B would be a Shawarma sandwich with tahini (definitely addictive, those things). Medium size mug of Moylan`s Hopsicle Pale Ale microbrew from Sonoma. California. Maybe side dish of Tom Yam soup.

Entree, choice A-Three-cup chicken (san bei ji) with whole grain rice, one or two links of pheasant sausage from Quattro`s Game Farm, four-season salt beans and garden salad with Italian dressing on the side. Large mug of Brother Thelonius beer, from North Coast Brewing

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/brother.htm

choice B, whole wheat pasta with the aforementioned pheasant sausage chopped and added to the sauce, topped with sharp aged

(at least 9 months) cheddar cheese from Rybicki`s cheeses, side of whole grain garlic bread with organic garlic and grapeseed oil, same salad, bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir.

If I was still hungry, finish with a small plate of Ants on a Tree-spicy vermicelli noodles with finely ground burger (I`d want grain-fed beef or elk).

Finish all this with New York chocolate cheesecake although I`m not that much of a dessert guy either, another small glass of sake and a medium size California purple bud-preferably the stuff they call `grandfather` because it makes you answer any question with `eh?`

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Do not knock the steak until you've tried it. I assure you, I thought all of that through.

I'm sure it's a fine marinade. I'm a purist, though. Sirloins - yeah, they need marinade. Anything worse than a sirloin needs a marinade. NY Strips, Delmonicos, Filet, Ribeye, these are steaks with flavor that stands up on its own. No seasoning necessary.

... a real Caesar salad(yes, with anchovies)...

Ahhh! But this is a common misconception. "Real" Caesar salad is made with Worcestershire sauce, not anchovies! Now, there are anchovies in the Worcestershire sauce, but when Chef Caesar first came up with his famous salad, he made the dressing with coddled eggs(not raw) and Worcestershire sauce. No other anchovies were included.

And now you know the rest of the story!

?!

Where'd this story come from?...

Alton Brown from Good Eats on TV Food Network. From what I know, very few Caesar Salads are made the original way. Almost everyone makes them with anchovies and raw eggs instead of Worcestershire and coddled eggs.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Vernor's ginger ale

Don't forget the galumpkes (stuffed cabbages) and potato pancakes!

Add some vanilla ice cream to that Vernors for a Boston Cooler!

Speaking of ice cream, how about a Sanders ice cream puff covered in fudge? (I found one of these somewhere fairly recently but now I've forgotten where!)

[Did you have your paczkis for Fat Tuesday this year? ;) ]...

Boston Cooler :thu:

I like potato pancakes but I've never been a fan of galumpkes. My mom still makes those too.

Paczkis cannot be found anywhere in Middle Tennessee. This is very frustrating. It's even more frustrating for my nephew who moved down here from Fraser a couple of years ago. He always starts complaining this time of year because he can't get his paczkis.

I made a discovery recently that Sanders ice cream toppings are available here at Krogers. I absolutely love their hot fudge and caramel sauce. :thu:

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

OK....I think I'll hide this in this pre existing thread. :grin:

First of all...I'm not trying to start any crap.

But...did any of you catch the news out of Belgium today?

Yep, that's right. Belgium is now enforcing a law...even with infrared detecting helicopters.

You now have to pay the equivalent of $27 U.S. dollars EVERY TIME you grill in the form of carbon offsets.

I don't know about you, but that would buy about 4 decent filet mignons down here in Georgia.

Google it up. You'll find it.

This may be spread further than I thought.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/60365-new-carbon-charges-your-barbecue.html

I guess all powered lawn machines will be next.

I'm sorry man, I just don't understand it. :rolleyes:

Talking about all this food reminded me of the story.

Randy

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_03/bbqMOS3103_468x432.jpg

his wife looks hot :grin:

Well, she is standing pretty close to that grill.

I like their hotdogs too.

One of my biggest disappointments when I moved to Chicago was that the hot dogs there didn't come close to Kowalski's. Now, Chicago's Vienna Beef hot dogs were good but they were nowhere near as good as a natural casing Kowalski's dog.

Man, I'm getting hungry and I just ate breakfast! :(;)

I like their hotdogs too.

One of my biggest disappointments when I moved to Chicago was that the hot dogs there didn't come close to Kowalski's. Now, Chicago's Vienna Beef hot dogs were good but they were nowhere near as good as a natural casing Kowalski's dog.

Man, I'm getting hungry and I just ate breakfast! :(;)

I haven't had Kowalski's anything in years.

Hmm.... Some Kowalski's hotdogs with a big glass of Faygo redpop sounds great right now. Not exactly healthy but good.

Alton Brown from Good Eats on TV Food Network. From what I know, very few Caesar Salads are made the original way. Almost everyone makes them with anchovies and raw eggs instead of Worcestershire and coddled eggs.

Wow. That's sad, I'm a huge Alton fan. Must've missed that show.

I'm sure it's a fine marinade. I'm a purist, though. Sirloins - yeah, they need marinade. Anything worse than a sirloin needs a marinade. NY Strips, Delmonicos, Filet, Ribeye, these are steaks with flavor that stands up on its own. No seasoning necessary.

I thought of something I need to add to this that will explain everything. For one, part of the reason we in Colorado (and the Southwest/Rocky Mountains in general) have a tendency to douse everything including fish with seasoning is because half of it just plain sucks. By the time all the meat, especially seafood, makes its way to Denver, its a week or more old and just is not the same. Every now and then you can find a good rib eye or NY Strip, but very often, all of our meat (despite being in a ranching state) is just not that good. Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong store. I don't know.

And don't even get me started on seafood. I refuse to eat fish west of about Ohio or east of Nevada. It's worthless. Shrimp is about the only thing that works out here, hence the shrimp fajitas, coconut shrimp, and all the other Southwestern-Western cuisine.

I did have an amazing steak in Florida of all places once. If that's what steak is supposed to taste like, then no, it doesn't need marinade. Until I find that, I'm sticking to my mariande. :D

Shut up and play.

I like all steak without marinade.

Sirloin is the tastiest cut of steak. It is cheaper cuz I think it lacks consistency, and may not be as tender as other cuts.

But if you read about it, they say Sirloin has the most flavor of any steak, filet has the most mild. But with filet you get more consistency and it is tender. Read this in the BBQ bible.

natto?

Yes-foul smelling fermented beans, doused in alien snail slime. But it`s worse than it sounds... :grin:

However it`s very good for your health. I think if you eat enough of it you can digest cellulose, or something.

There`s a subclass of similarly appetizing Japanese foods that I can`t stand-`mountain potatoes`, sticky rice, okra in various forms, sea urchin sushi. The first person to try them must have been looking for a hangover cure or starving to death.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived