Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for disco gliss samples

Gary75

It's been like a holy grail for me for ages. I have Smart Violins but they sound poor even though it's a real section, the samples speed changes according to the pitch played. I keep hearing some great disco glissandi on Jamiroquai stuff but can't nail that string fall. No string vst has that effect either as far as I know. Any help from the disco heads would be much appreciated!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first question is....why? ;)

Seriously, have you considered sampling the gliss from records and/or programming it with a synth string section?

One of the resident synth programmers may chime in with tips for how to get it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well Prof, yes, i can see your point hehe - but disco in the UK is very popular still, especially with the likes of the scissor sisters doing well over here. It has to be a real sample .wav Synth strings bent on a wheel sound awful IMO. An interesting idea for sampling it myself off a record, never done it before, so I may give it a go! Thanks

I was just kidding you man. In music, everything comes back around in one form or another--eventually.

Also, I was thinking beyond merely bending strings in order to get the gliss. That would be super ugly. ;)

Let's hope the synth programmers give up those parameters. They might be still asleep. Let's give 'em time to wake up. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, just found my old thread. So, everyone hates disco? I can't tell if the ones who hate it, lived through the original, or it's the younger guys who were'nt around but hate it. You still have to love the dance off scene in Starsky and Hutch movie.

Do It!

Lol, just found my old thread. So, everyone hates disco? I can't tell if the ones who hate it, lived through the original, or it's the younger guys who were'nt around but hate it. You still have to love the dance off scene in Starsky and Hutch movie.

Do It!

From those of us who lived/survived/dodged and HATED disco there are several reasons. My reasons were that was the beginning of DJ's and clubs that went disco stopped having live music which took it's toll on working musicians.

Dj's continue to take jobs (though lower paying) from musicians.

Disco cloths..... HELP ME

Disco SHOES..... I've fallen and I can't get up.

The Same beat...... Save me from it

White boy Funk..... It got's no soul

OK rant over.... people still love to dance to it and I could list the songs I swore I would never played that makes me a lier today. But that is for a different thread.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Yep, I hate disco and I was there to earn it. Six nights a week in the summer of 1978. Yet, is was not the BeeGees that spurred my loathing (although they helped) it was the fact that disco DJs pretty much killed the club scene I came up in. A club band back in the mid 70's even in a place like Lexington KY could expect to earn 2500 per week. Bands doing one nighters could make 300-500. (these were 1975 dollars). In short, one could make a living as I did back then. Judging from what I see on this forum, a bar band makes the same 300-500 in 2007 dollars if they are lucky. Disco and DJ's who undercut us made this possible and gave birth to rap as well. They have a lot to atone for. I repeat..friends don't let friends do disco.

Yep, I hate disco and I was there to earn it. Six nights a week in the summer of 1978. Yet, is was not the BeeGees that spurred my loathing (although they helped) it was the fact that disco DJs pretty much killed the club scene I came up in. A club band back in the mid 70's even in a place like Lexington KY could expect to earn 2500 per week. Bands doing one nighters could make 300-500. (these were 1975 dollars). In short, one could make a living as I did back then. Judging from what I see on this forum, a bar band makes the same 300-500 in 2007 dollars if they are lucky. Disco and DJ's who undercut us made this possible and gave birth to rap as well. They have a lot to atone for. I repeat..friends don't let friends do disco.

:thu: +1

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Another thing that was bad about it was that people got conditioned not to dance to live music. After awhile, every disco we played in had obnoxiously loud sound systems (usually Cerwin-Vega). They could pump that processed 4 on the floor stuff so loud on the breaks, that people stopped dancing during the band's sets and only danced on the break.

All this AND WE WERE PLAYING THE SAME CRAP SONGS as the DJs, with a very talented 8 piece horn band, with a monster PA.

Moe

---

Aww, it's good to hear some of the older members relive their love of the disco scene. I hate DJ's though, they walk round as if they know everything about music, and not just how to play a record. Can we start a DJ hating thread? PLEASEEEE!!!!!

Archived