Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To stick...or not to stick?

Dave Bryce

Stickies  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Stickies

It seems to be a pretty regular occurance that people don't seem to find the threads in the "Where to find key topics" sticky. So, I've pulled all of the threads that were formerly there and made each of them sticky.

Whaddaya think?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, I voted "better the old way". But here's a suggestion:

Instead of calling that thread "Where to find key topics", which might be a little dry, call it "NEW TO KEYBOARD CORNER? START HERE". Perhaps that would get the newbie's attention better?

I'd go with one folder with all the stickies in it.

I agree with linwood, and use a bright colored large font for the title with something that suggest "starting here" before posting.

We have to have space to argue about chords and all our off topic stuff :grin: :grin: :grin:

Didn't we already try using one thread with links to everything? It didn't seem to get noticed much by newbies. I don't think 5 threads are too many. The nice thing about having threads like member's CD's or Introductions stickied is they will be accessed more with increased exposure.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If it helps the new comers find what they are looking for, I am all for it.

But it is kinda cluttered.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I guess those "If ... but" thoughts add up to a No Preference vote.

Oh and on a personal note, it's an honor to have a thread I started become a sticky -- even if it turns out to only be for a day or two. :cool:

(For those who don't already know, I used to post as soapbox.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Instead of calling that thread "Where to find key topics", which might be a little dry, call it "NEW TO KEYBOARD CORNER? START HERE". Perhaps that would get the newbie's attention better?

Maybe. The problem is that the poeple who were missing these topics aren't always n00bs. ;)

Another factor to consider - they're all pretty valuable and interesting threads, and I'm thinking they are prone to get more traffic if they're stickied.

We had them all stickied before, and the main reason I consolidated them into one thread is the same as gangsu's observation above - I wasn't noticing when new posts happened because they weren't moving. With the latest software, I think the do move to the top of the sticky stack when a new post is made, so maybe that'll be less of an issue.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

It would be nice if there were something that would visually differentiate them as stickies - the same folder icon that every other thread has just ain't cutting it. That said, the folder icon does take on a manilla sort of color when there's a new post in the sticky threads just like the regular threads.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived