Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smokey says Marvin

Still Learning

Flipping through the cable tv channels last night I came up on some talking head interviewing Smokey Robinson. The head asked Smokey, "What was the best all-time album" and Smokey answered, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On

In honor of Black History Month here in the U.S., my question to you is:

Who do you consider to be the best black piano/keys/synth player of all time?

(my vote has to go to Ray Charles) :grin:

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Kanker. This is really like being asked to pick your favorite galaxy. Still if you want to talk "best" in terms of influence, then the answer for me is Jimmy Smith. You cannot find a rock or jazz organist who has not played a Smith lick at one time or another. The very fact that "jazz organ" is a real term and not some sort of joke is due to that man's presence on the planet. He sure changed my life and for the better.

As others have said, it's way too hard to pick the best African-American keyboardist, so how about we go a step further and name 28 great African American keyboardists -- a different musician for each day of Black History Month -- to show just how extensive the influence of black musicians has been on the American musical scene. Since four of the all-time greats have already been named (Ray Charles, Bud Powell, Jimmy Smith, and Herbie Hancock), here are 24 more:

Art Tatum

Thelonious Monk

McCoy Tyner

Oscar Peterson

Erroll Garner

Ahmad Jamal

Jimmy McGriff

Dr. Lonnie Smith

Sly Stone

Stevie Wonder

Fats Domino

Little Richard

Professor Longhair

Allen Toussaint

Earl Hines

Fats Waller

Cecil Taylor

James P. Johnson

Billy Preston

Booker T. Jones

Bernie Worrell

David Sancious

Count Basie

Duke Ellington

(Okay, the last two are better known as bandleaders than pianists, but piano was the main instrument of each and their influence and significance is both pervasive and undeniable.)

Peace,

Noah

Ken:

That's funny, because Art Neville would've been next on my list. I'm sure, however, that there are many more that I left off that are equally (or more) deserving of inclusion than those that I listed (e.g., Kenny Kirkland?). At the end of the day, my only real point is that a list of the "all-time great African American keyboardists" looks a helluva lot like a list of the "all-time great keyboardists, period" (but for some obvious exceptions like Chick Corea, Bill Evans, and Keith Jarrett).

Regards,

Noah

I'll just name 29 folks for every day of the month in a leap year. In addition to those already mentioned:

Brother Jack McDuff

Richard Groove Holmes

Charles Earland

Larry Young

Nat King Cole

Bobby Timmons

Ramsey Lewis

Allen Toussaint

Donny Hathaway

Les McCann

Larry Dunn

Roberta Flack

Ronnie Foster

George Duke

Patrice Rushen

Joe Sample

Isaac Hayes

Barry White

Richard Tee

Jackie Mittoo

Bobby Lyle

Junie Morrison

Greg Phillinganes

Thomas Whitfield

Twinkie Clark

Richard Smallwood

Curtis Lloyd

D'Angelo

James Poyser

Ok... ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow, what about

Otis Spann

Little Brother Montgomery

Roosevelt Sykes

Jimmy Yancey

Meade Lux Lewis

Pete Johnson

Pinetop Perkins

Big Maceo Merriweather

Jelly Roll Morton

Wille 'The Lion' Smith

Sunnyland Slim

James Booker

Larry Young

Jay McShann

Memphis Slim

Johnnie Johnson

Albert Ammons

Melvin Rhyne

Really, the list just goes on and on

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived