Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 info (for real :)

C.J. Lewis

I wonder if Kurzweil has plans to release the new "Strings ROM" in a ROM Block for existing K26xx machines. I'd have one. *wink, wink*
Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My K2500 doesn't have the KDFX option. It costs to much to install. First I would have to buy that overpriced thing, $350 and then I would have to send the Keyboard to an authorized service center (about $150).

The KB3 mode sound like shit. Thanks to sweetwater for the Pocket B3 samplings.

But the PC3 didn't have any sample player capabilities.

Where is my K3000?

I would like to really thank C.J. for replying to this forum personally. In my opinion the KB3 sounds awesome on my PC2X. I'll be the first to order the PC3 when it's released --hopefully not too long though. Musicians are very impatient. We want it now. I posted this question on another forum and didn't really receive the answer I was looking for. Is the PC3 going to have more editability than the PC2? I have the PC2 manager and I find it very difficult to edit programs to sound the way I would like. I was hoping Kurz would come up with a more user friendly way of editing programs in the PC3. One other question, I note in the PC3 specs there is a new String ROM, which is great, but it also states new drums, synths, guitars, etc. Is the only real new samples the Strings ROM and the rest is the base PC2 samplebase? Thanks again C.J. I believe it was you a few years ago that demo'ed a K2661 at Gary Gand. You are a great player. I hope that was you. If not, the guy was killer. Thanks

The PC3 is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's got more polyphony than any previous Kurzweil product (pc2+polyphony expansion nonwithstanding); it's got more per voice dsp than the 2600; and it's got more effects dsp than a KSP8.

I'm not sure why they're marketing this product as a PCx when it really (besides the no sampling) is a K2700.

The more I look the more I'm thinking of waiting it out for the PC3. I do hope it doesn't get delayed, since the MotifXS and M3 are serious alternatives. I did like playing the Yamaha CP300, and if it wasn't such a beast I'd have bought it already...I still might, but the PC3, if it comes out as advertised, looks like the one.

And Kurweil, please nail the piano. For me, the most irritating aspects of all others I've played has been the unnatural sustain, especially on the lower octaves when chords just becomes an annoying mush.

Raul

[QB]...The lack of sampling is a real buzzkill IMO...
[/QB]

Sampling...in a keyboard? People still do that? :confused: LOL.

[QB]...The only current workstation I would consider the PC3 over at the moment is the Fusion....
[/QB]

I honestly think you're missing the point of this keyboard and its capabilities, but you can lead a horse to water... ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently own an Alesis FUSION 8HD. I bought it because at the time it was the only current hardware on the market (Besides the OASYS, and Kurzweil's K2600XS) that came close to the capabilities of Apples Logic Pro. As a matter of a fact, I'm still stuck on Logic Pro 6.4.3 because I refuse to spend anymore money on software upgrades. I wanted an all in one keyboard that could reduce my computer's responsibility back down to that of secretary.

Now, I've rarely sampled anything original myself (I leave that up to the professionals), but since I mainly like to make music with sampled acoustic sounds, I like being able to load professional samples and edit them for my music.

In all honesty, the Kurzweil K2600XS was my first choice, but being six year old technology and the uncertainty of the company, I bought a Fusion. It's an okay board, but there are some things about it that bother me.

Anyways, I've kept my eyes on Kurzweil even after getting my Fusion. I was all excited about the PC3, until the "non-sampling" bomb was dropped. Will your company be releasing a 88-key keyboard with the capabilities I mentioned. What ever you guys decide, good luck with it.

Now, I've rarely sampled anything original myself (I leave that up to the professionals), but since I mainly like to make music with sampled acoustic sounds, I like being able to load professional samples and edit them for my music.

I'll like to echo 9Ether's sentiments above. It is much the same with me, and the lack of sampling in new hardware is depressing for me. There's alot of good sample sounds out there... Mellotrons and that included. And while I might not necessarily need to do sampling myself, I would really wish more keyboards allowed you to _load_ sample programs ... surely that is one of the best ways to keep a keyboard obsolete-proof (as they all claim).

I find that I'm in almost exactly the same position as 9Ether, with me pondering the Alesis Fusion seriously ... almost entirely for the fact that its one of the more practical solutions to using sample libraries on hardware today (in terms of cost, the provided internal HDD, and the ability to import many existing sample libraries).... but almost everything else about the Fusion I don't really need (and I dislike its design in many ways)...

So it would certainly be nice if the PC3, and more stage keyboards (as opposed to workstations with everything else) had the ability to load and use sample programs... and i hope hardware manufacturers don't look at it as a lost cause and leave it all to software...

Will your company be releasing a 88-key keyboard with the capabilities I mentioned. What ever you guys decide, good luck with it.

I can't say exactly what the future will bring for your question, Ether, but it's certainly not out of the ballpark. Thanks for the kind wishes - we're happy to be alive and bringing out new stuff.

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

now it's owned by a Korean car company, right?

I believe Young Chang (parent of Kurzweil) is now owned by Hyundai Development Group, which, as of April 2003 is a different company than Hyundai Automotive Group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai

The company split into five business entities on April 1, 2003 including:

-- Hyundai Automotive Group

-- Hyundai Department Store Group

-- Hyundai Heavy Industries Group

-- Hyundai Development Group

I sure hope that Kurzweil comes up with a dedicated controller aimed both at computer control functions AS WELL as aimed at controlling external mudules. The last that did it right was the Roland A-90/A-70, and that was many moons ago, and there's nothing really out there to fill this market niche. Perhaps a keyboard with the same keybed as the Midiboard (including poly aftertouch), but with 6 midi outs, 2 x USB and the same 9 faders of the PC3 ? And no internal sounds needed (well, we wouldn't mind some 10 excellent piano sounds). Why not do it? after all, nobody else is doing it, and it's nothing alien to what Kurzweil has done before.
Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

On a quick note ...I just purchased a Generalmusic S3 Turbo on Ebay from someone in italy, for 203,00 euros. It's 76 keys, synth-action, with polyphonic aftertouch, and masterkeyboard functions. I owned a GEM Equinox 61 before and the keybed was really pleasing, so decided to give this a shot as a controller keyboard. As I can read from the manual, my K2600RS is capable of receiving polypressure messages, so I think i'm about to have some fun. Now if only kurzweil could re-issue the ExpressionMate ribbon .....

Quote by 9ether:

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

Interesting how different players use samplers. I'm pretty satisfied with my Motif ES8 sound set, but I like to use sound effects that don't come standard on my ES8 in some songs. So I get WAV samples off the internet and load them on to my sampler on the ES8 and it saves the samples with each song. When I recall a set of songs, the samples load up along with the rest of the set. Quick and painless, and it allows me additional sound effects without having to spend a bunch of money.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been keenly searching for further information on the PC3, and coming up pretty dry. However (at the risk of posting something about another forum), Dave Weiser of Kurzweil R&D and Clif Marsiglio have a couple of very informative posts regarding what the PC3 will and will not be over on Sonikmatter's PC3 thread. In particular, scroll down to see the Dave Weiser post.

I'm now very positive about the prospects for the PC3, as it appears to be exactly what I have been wanting (a lighter, non-sampling version of my K2500/KDFX with updated ROM samples and soundware). And if you want more than the PC3 offers, it sounds like Kurzweil has plans for future high-end keyboards that will build on the PC3 foundation.

C.

It's nice to see that they aren't going to use Smart Media, I can't even find those cards anymore. And if I read that one post correctly there won't be any Liquid T or any other artist related patches.

Bipabew:

Yep, Smart Media memory cards are ancient history. USB drives are the apparent pick of the litter these days. Fortunately, my Motif ES8 utilizes both SM and USB drives. I put aside the two SM cards I already have for bootable Flash Memory updates as they come out, and have been getting USB 1GB drives from New Egg dirt cheap. I use the USB drives for storing all my other data and to use on gigs.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I haven't seen CJ for awhile on this thread. It's about time he gave us an update in re: the PC3. Korg & Yamaha are releasing in June 2007. How about it, CJ. Any word yet? We certainly appreciate any info you can give us. Don't suppose there's a 76 key in the works, is there?

I'm not allowed to consider a PC3, well that is of course unless I sell the CP300 . . .that would be a hard decision!

Tums anybody!

Oink!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

changearound,

hmmm!

I had a PC2R! Sold it on Ebay last year! The PC3 or PC3R would have to be quit a bit better than the PC2 with the direction I have taken with the Yamahas. And that direction/decision was based on trial and error (alot of $). Whenever I re-think that, after alot of trial and error that is, it's like a piece of me forgot my decisions, either due to new, gleeful Gear Lust (GAS)or Gear boredom/ or performance OR Gig Fatigue as time moves on, that's when I can get in trouble, but that's also how I 'grew' with gear purchases and made better decisions. It's a fine line! Things do change for the better sometime! So I always have my peepers open, I'm Invested gearwise already. 'Turnover' sometimes rules!

At this point I know what's gonna work for my live playing and I can usually tell in the first couple of min. If a new digital piano sound is gonna work for me 'live' in the music store!

Everthing after that is GEAR LUST OR/ GEAR LAZINESS based on the luxury of trying to have a rig for each size venue and type of gig I play! So when I get home from work on a Friday night. I just load the gear that's right without having to take a srewdriver out and the rest of the band and me listening to the P120 Hammond patch for half the night!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Legatoboy, I was really asking whether Kurzweil were intending to release a PC3R. Interested to hear your take on it though.

I'm currently a PC2R user and am very interested in a future upgrade. As you say, the all important factor is just how much of an improvement a PC3R would be.

Hopefully we should all be getting some more information soon, what with Messe just around the corner.

Great to hear Kurz is back - wish them luck - hopefully the new machines will support the Kurzweil sample data format. As a PC2 and K2600, K2600X and Midiboard owner (just sold my PC2X last week ) the new stuff doesn't seem different enough to warrant upgrading YMMV. Would have loved to see a big weight decrease - sold my PC2x cause I hated lugging it around and may do the same with my K2600.

But when it comes to midi control - no one is as good as Kurzweil - IMHO - and I love the sound of these boards.

Now if only kurzweil could re-issue the ExpressionMate ribbon .....

I may actually know where a few may still be...

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

Regarding release date, I haven't heard anything different than late summer, 2007 for the PC3. I'm excited, too -- lots of cool things to consider, that new Kawai MP5 looks fairly doable, too.

ivorycj

• 4 weeks later...

As I see it...

I´m SO glad that Kurzweil is back !!!

I believe that the PC3 is a good choice as a first new release, to get the company back kickin´, which would make it possible for future great innovative instruments, that would (once again) leave the others in the dust.

Combining good samples with improved VAST & KDFX is a great idea.

However to stick with the old triple strike piano is a VERY bad idea. The PC3 seems to be a great userfriendly performance instrument with great presets (something the K-series always lacked)AND with the ability to be a "tweakers dream" for those who wants that, to compete with S90ES, Motif, Fantom etc

So what´s the first thing people check out on a board like this..

...the PIANO of course...

The "we´ll fix it in the mix" with VAST argument, is not going to do it, since it didn´t in the 26XX either.

The Triple strike is not bad...but it´s far from great. It sounds nice in higher octaves, but it´s very lifeless, no balls at all. This is 2007, not the nineties...

Pianos like in the S90ES blows it away anytime...

Why do "everything" right and blow it in the pianodepartment ???

I understand that it´s vital to get a new great product out quickly, that can appeal to the masses...but once again...

I mean you have the greatest guys in R&D, how difficult can it be to make a piano that at least is on par with the other biggies?

This is Kurzweil after all...

If it´s totally impossible to include a new piano in the PC3, then I suggest:

1) sample memory

2) A NEW great piano as one the (very soon to be released) ROM-blocks

The problem is the neither of the above mentioned options will sell the PC3 initially to people who wants THE Performance instrument with THE piano.

I hope I don´t sound to negative, which absolutely wasn´t my point.

GO KURZWEIL GO

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The Triple strike is not bad...but it´s far from great. It sounds nice in higher octaves, but it´s very lifeless, no balls at all.

That's one opinion. Many people here like the Kurz piano.

I have to agree with you that the factory presets for acoustic piano aren't extraordinary. But if you take the time to take advantage of the enormous programmability available in any of the last Kurz instruments - PC or K2x00 - you can make it sound much better. As good as any of the pianos from other brands.

About the PC3, it will apparently have two empty ROM slots. So they might someday create a piano expansion sound card.

It's funny how very subjective piano sounds are. To my ears the PC2X piano is the only sound that doesn't sound so damn digital. I have the Triton (that doesn't really count) piano sounds awful on Korg, OASYS is much better, but at what price? I'm not very impressed from what I've heard of the M3 so far, but I'll wait to pass judgment when I hear the piano sound live. Yamaha ES90 is great, but still sounds digital, especially when sustaining notes. I believe Kurz will blow the competition away, unless they take forever to release the PC3. I need a new board now. Last year played 80 some dates and my board is thrown from one vehicle to another to a stage. haven't heard from CJ on this forum in awhile. It would sure be nice if he could give an update on progress. The PC3 was operational at Musikmesse last month. Sure would like to hear a little more.

Hey guys/gals - sorry about the MIA - I've been a little busy with the firm. Personally, I haven't heard a whole lot of 'public' information about PC3, but I'll see what I can find out!

ivorycj

Mookie Segal from the David Nelson Band gets a really nice sound out of his PC2x (maybe he used Cy's software manager). Rob Borraco sweared to me about his PC2 one night at the old Bottom Line in nyc. Rob's a great player being in the Dead and all a few years ago.....(i luv dropping names)

I just told Rob I like Yamahas and left it at that. . .

It's frustrating when someone is playing in front of you with an ax you gave up on and getting a great sound out of it.

many times people are just suited for certain axes I think!

lb

Archived