Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First loves

comacoda

The inspiration for this thread was a previous posters memory of pining for a beatiful Ibanez rg770dx. What was the first guitar that you had a crush on? Did you get her, if so, Was she good to you? My first guitar crush was Samick's 1995 Blues Saraceno model, it was just the coolest guitar I had ever seen... I loved the push/pull coil tap, black hardware, and burnt orange burst... I never played it, only admired it. Wonder what that guitar is doing now...
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh man - i had a crush on the Carvin Fatboy Holdsworth forever. finally bought one last year, and i'm completely stoked about it.

i still have mad lust for the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model. it'll be a few years before i can get one though. i'm shooting for a D model later this year to satisfy the lust.

The Flying V I saw Dave Davies playing with the Kinks in 1965 was my first "WOW!!!" guitar. I finally got a V myself about 2 years ago, and I love it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Vintage butterscotch/blackguard Fender Telecasters and Broadcasters; oddly enough, I've never owned my own Tele or Tele-style guitar. I almost snagged a real-live '57 Tele for $750 back about '82 (when I really didn't know more than three chords or so yet!). Shoulda bought a Don Rich commemorative Fender Custom Shop gold-sparkle Tele I once ran across, one of the best Teles I ever played! (Sweet one-piece bird's-eye neck, Reif!) Probably do a Warmoth Tele-style DIY-project, eventually...

Always loved the look of sunburst Les Pauls, and their recorded sound on many classic albums, but it took a long time before I ran across a Les Paul that I liked AND could afford at the same time. Norlin and the '70s probably had a lot to do with that...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000067G10.01._PE48_.Jimi-Hendrix-The-Dick-Cavett-Show._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Look kev the tele lookin neck I was talkin about.

Anyhoo thats the guitar I first fell in love with.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Brand new 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Tobacco Sunburst, black speed knobs, PAF pickups, nickel hardware, 5 ply pickguard, rosewood fingerboard with block pearl inlays, black ABS plastic hardshell case with chrome Gibson logo.

I still have it 28 years later. It's still my favorite guitar.

Born on the Bayou

My first love: I had a beautiful old Strat (1962) that got stolen in 1973 in Texas, due to my foolishness, never mind the details, you nosy $#(@s!! And I've hated all Texans since that day! (Just kidding, I'm not from Oklahoma!)

I currently lust after this double-neck mando (5-string and 8-string necks). If only more translation work would come into the office! You guys need anything translated? Note: I don't translate technical manuals, since I don't understand them, either!

I'd like to get a Carvin Fatboy Holdsworth, too, not that it would make me PLAY like him!

I never played a Flying V, and now you got me curious, Picker. It ain't right to do that to a guy without the bucks to buy it!

Originally posted by Darklava:

"Look kev the tele lookin neck I was talkin about.

Anyhoo thats the guitar I first fell in love with."

Yeah, ever since I first saw that same guitar in another photo of Hendrix, I've thought it'd be cool to have a Strat with a reverse, maple-board Tele-neck stucked onnitt... :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

First guitar crush? I don't remember.

I know I had a crush on the first Gibson LP in silver-burst. How was I supposed to know it was gonna turn green? :D (I never owned one, though.)

At the same time, the Corvus/Futura body was cute, but when I picked it up I found out why you couldn't give 'em away. The neck was so heavy compared to the body that you ended up holding the damn thing up when you played it. Even a strap didn't hang right because of how unbalanced they were.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I had a 1960s Gretsch that I let our guitar player use though 1969 (I was the drummer...) and at one big outdoor show he Townsend-ed it.

I had a 1957 Gibson Les Paul gold top with P-90s that I got in 1970 and I gave it away in 76/77. Loved that guitar and have been trying to find a replacement ever since.

1972. I nearly bought a Les Paul (SG style) custom, white, all gold hardware, triple humbuckers, fancy sideways vibrato and fancy gold tail-piece. I was in a guitar shop in Pawtucket RI, andf they had just taken it in on trade... they had sold it to the original owner, new, so they knew the history. Wanted $400, and I was unable to put the deal together. (sigh....)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Lusted after a mint old Ric in '71 or so for $400.00. I was a kid and couldn't scrape it together. It didn't last. The following year I picked up my '71 Tele. I was jonesin' for a Strat, but didn't really know the difference. Glad I got the Tele first, cuz the Strat remained a priority for 6 more years 'til I got it, but if I'd gotten the Strat first, I might not have been curious about Teles. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Brand new 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Tobacco Sunburst, black speed knobs, PAF pickups, nickel hardware, 5 ply pickguard, rosewood fingerboard with block pearl inlays, black ABS plastic hardshell case with chrome Gibson logo.

I always thought that all Les Paul Customs from that time frame came with ebony fingerboards and gold plated hardware.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Mine was a Gibson ES330. I've always loved the growlin' sound of P90s coupled with the feedback-prone hollowbody. I finally bought a '65 in 1983 from a pawnshop for $300 and still have it. I don't gig with it too often anymore but once in a while it comes out.

http://home.centurytel.net/pontiacblues/Images/Paul330.jpg

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Mine was a Gibson ES330. I've always loved the growlin' sound of P90s coupled with the feedback-prone hollowbody. http://home.centurytel.net/pontiacblues/Images/Paul330.jpg

:thu::thu:

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

My first "guitar crush" was the summer going into my 8th grade year around 1984- VH's "Panama" inspired, of course. ;)

I saw it in the window of a local music store and was hooked! It was a red/white strat wanna-be. I believe I may have had plans of turning it into a "frankenstrat". I was so hooked that I placed it on lay-away. It costs $135.00 I believe, and I think I had to have it out in 90 days. Anyways, I made a measly $40.00 a month on a paper route. Well, the 90 days came and went and I still owed $$$ on it. My parents couldn't believe that the salesman allowed me to place it on lay-away at such a young age.

My parents could not afford both the guitar and an amplifier, so they took the $$$ that I had against it and bought me a Bently accoustic- which I still have to this day.

I went on to eventually buy a Kay electric a year or so later, then I purchased a MIJ Fender Strat for around $400 my junior year, which was stolen from my apartment in Charleston, SC around 2000.

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by rw2003:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I always thought that all Les Paul Customs from that time frame came with ebony fingerboards and gold plated hardware.
All LP Customs are ebony fingerboards and gold hardware... except when they're not. ;)

Every "standard" setup for a Gibson model has been played with on occasion. So you'll find years with "Customs" that have other than gold Hardware, a different fingerboard, etc. But the gold appointments and ebony fingerboard, along with 5 layer body binding, etc. are the significant upgrade between a standard and a custom, although p'ups come into play sometimes, too.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

This is going to sound kinda pathetic, but I've always wanted (and have never owned) a Strat.

Mind you, I've spent years on end playing other instruments (bass, synth, sax) so it's not as I've spent my life hanging out for one.

I think I've never bought one because a) there's too many variants and I can never make up my mind about what I'd like b) they cost too much c) I'm not sure I like the sound anyway.

But it's always like this... itch.

The first guitar I wanted to play, and which got me starting to play guitar a month later, was a camp counselor's Les Paul. And while I've always wanted an LP, I've never owned one. Just can't save up that much money at one time, and now they're priced fairly outrageously. Sure I could go Epi or Rondo, but just not hte same. Especially since I have a Gibson ES 335 that I love. Why take a possible step backwards, quality-wise? Plus I mainly play bass.

And there are of course hundreds of other axes over which I have lusted. Rickenbackers, SG's, ES 175, Carvins, doublenecks of many shapes and configurations... I hear Julio Iglesias and Willy Neslon singing now. :love:

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Come to think of it, I never had a redhead girlfriend - or an Asian one, either! Never even held their hands at recess!

And it's too late now... it took me 18 years to get used to my wife, and I don't want to mess it up now!

Of course, I COULD if I wanted to, since I am better looking now than ever.... the gray hairs make me look distinguished!

My first "love" (call it puppy love) started in eighth grade (I was 14) and her name was Charlotte Lambert, a very cute red head who was 13 (in the 7th grade and quite well developed). We went to the "homecoming" dance together. We dated until I went off to college.

They moved away that fall and I haven't seen her since then.

[EDIT] Wrong girl's name. (hey, it's been 30 years -- I got 'em mixed up)

Born on the Bayou

My first love was any electric guitar. When I didn't know anything, I prefered the look of the triple pick up, dual cutaway thing commonly refered as the strat. Not having the means to get a real one in the '83 when I got my first electric, I got a similar guitar, the Ibanez Roadstart II. It got me started on Rock and Blues. For that I am grateful.

I sold that guitar within 2 years of buying it for a guitar I haven't owned since 1988.

Then, I began have real love for another . . . Any prior love paled by comparison. It was the pewter colored Eric Clapton Stratocaster. After lusting all through law school, the day I finished the bar exam, I went to pick it up, on credit.

That guitar has been through a re-fret (originals were little vintage frets, replaced with Swedish steel medium-jumbos) and is still part of my rotation.

Since then, I have loved many, equally. That's why guitars are better than that first, little red-head: Guitars don't get jealous of eachother.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Archived