Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tori Amos anyone?

I'm watching a taped "live" performance by Tori Amos on "Music Choice" tonight. Nice. Tori plays piano and sings, bass and drums. Jazzy, spacy songs... groovin' funky little songs... decent voice. I like it that she can actually play without two keyboard players in the background ACTUALLY playing all the changes. I honestly didn't know much about her till this show... how 'bout you? See the show? Tori Amos fan? Love long haired red-headed girls who can play and sing... gotta get me one someday! :love: guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She's cool. Must have liked Kate Bush alot and Laura Nyro at some point. She's cool because she's unafraid, totally brave musically, puts it all out there. Great purity. I wish she'd gone more in the direction of the big Bonham drum sound with the loud piano sound, I thought that was a cool thing and unique in her neo-classical via Haight street vibe... Does a lot of things that are unexpected musically. A real musician, a rarity these days.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

She's great. I don't know much about chords when it comes to the piano, but she sure plays some weird ones. Her lyrics have always fascinated me. Some make almost no sense to me. Like Chip already said, "pure" is the word that comes to mind.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

She is in a word: Awesome. Her first two albums, (Little Earthquakes, and Under the Pink) were two of the best albums released in the 90's. Her next few CD's were very experimental, and I wasn't that into them. Her latest, Scarlets Walk is really good. I respect and admire her for taking chances, and not just making the same CD over and over, and she has surely learned and grown. There is a song on Scarlets' Walk, called "I can't see New York". Every time I hear it I just lose it. It is by far the best 9-11 song so far. She is a true artist, and in my opinion, she is head and shoulders above anyone who has shown up on the scene in the last ten years or so. I have also seen her live, and she is definitely the real deal.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Personally, I think she's extremely talented and I love her cds - BUT>>>> There was this one girl that went to high school with me that was virtually obsessed with Tori Amos. Dyed her hair the same, every second word out her mouth was Tori-related in some way, that kind of thing. As a result, it unfortunately put me off Tori Amos for quite some time. Thankfully, this all occured a long time ago, so now I can get back to enjoying Tori's talents. Cheers! Spencer
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I have seen her live twice, and she has a great presence and a great set of chops....(actually, another set of chops are pretty nice, but I digress)... I fall into the same categroy with her CD's. Really like the first 2, 'ehh' on the rest up til the new one, which is back to form IMHO. There are also a lot of little boot legs and ep's of her kicking around. I was surprised that anyone was shocked at how well she could play... She used to be in a hair band in the late 80's too..."y kant Tori Read'. I remember in the cutout bins when I used to work at musicland. Rare as hell now.

I gave her a try. I saw her doing a live show. I like to hear folkes SING not BREATHE. Golly she took a deep breathe right IN the mic. then another and another. Really put me off and I feel the VERY BEST singers will never be heard breathing or taking a breath through the mic. yeah she can play them keys a bit. HEY TORI! turn your head or back up off the mic when you breath.. damn girl.. maybe through your nose. or take some vocal lessons.. sumpin.. dang... yuckkk..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

"I gave him a try. I saw him ON THE INTENET. I like to see folkes POST without using CAPITALS ALL THE TIME. Golly he put the caps lock on right IN this THREAD. then another and another. Really put me off and I feel the VERY BEST posters will never be THAT FUCKING ANNOYING. yeah he can play them keys a bit. HEY ARELL! turn your CAPS LOCK off or STOP HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY.. damn girl.. or take some typing lessons.. sumpin.. dang... yuckkk.."
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Tori's great. My hardcore/metal band sometimes covers "Silent All These Years." Believe it or not, it translates. The woman can write a song. True story... Tori Amos used to baby-sit for a younger friend of mine. She could tuck me in anytime.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]"I gave him a try. I saw him ON THE INTENET. I like to see folkes POST without using CAPITALS ALL THE TIME. Golly he put the caps lock on right IN this THREAD. then another and another. Really put me off and I feel the VERY BEST posters will never be THAT FUCKING ANNOYING. yeah he can play them keys a bit. HEY ARELL! turn your CAPS LOCK off or STOP HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY.. damn girl.. or take some typing lessons.. sumpin.. dang... yuckkk.."[/b][/quote]Rog: You know it's not nice to pick on the mentally handicapped. You guys know me, right? I'm from the South. I don't have shit for brains. It just annoys me when people live up to a stereotype.

I have been a huge Tori Amos fan for years. She's a lot like Prince used to be in that all her records are really cohesive and each one has at least a couple of great songs and a bunch of really good ones. My favorite record of hers is "Choirgirl Hotel". My least is "Boys for Pele" but even that one has "Hey Jupiter" and "Blood Roses" on it. The really cool thing is that every record is different - she's not afraid to experiment. Her voice has changed over the years too. She used to sound a lot more like Kate Bush but she's since gotten huskier sounding (Smoking? In any case it sounds great).
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Tori's great. My hardcore/metal band sometimes covers "Silent All These Years." Believe it or not, it translates. The woman can write a song. True story... Tori Amos used to baby-sit for a younger friend of mine. She could tuck me in anytime.[/b][/quote]I love that song :thu: On the flip side, she covered Smells Like Teen Spirit with just voice and piano. It worked really well :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b][QUOTE]Rog: You know it's not nice to pick on the mentally handicapped. You guys know me, right? I'm from the South. I don't have shit for brains. It just annoys me when people live up to a stereotype.[/b][/quote]Yeah, I know - Don't mock the afflicted. I'm baaaaad man :eek:

Aaahhhh I dunno, I think she's very musically talented definitely, can really play and sing, but I don't care for her material. A lot of it's just too angsty for my taste. And Spencer I had the same experience as you - when I first moved to Atlanta I had a roommate for while who was obsessed with Tori. About all the CD's she played were Tori Amos and Nine Inch Nails... LOL. It about drove me nuts. Oddly enough, I can still listen to NIN every now and then but if I never hear Tori again it'll be too soon.

OH BOY! I listened some more.. does that chick know she is AUDIBLY SUCKING AIR? like every other word.. ? what the heck is that? PROFESSIONAL sangers ought to know better? do you believe that she realises what she is doing? I heard that FRENCH LADY that is NOW APPEARING in LAS VEGAS and she does the same thing.. what is that? do they NOT KNOW? SOMEBODY has to have told 'em? I catch myself doing it every now and then and I go to GREAT PAINS to avoid that. now I ain't the world authority on sangin' yet I know one should NEVER BREATHE IN THE MIC so the audience can hear it. I know one should sing from the DIAPHRAGM "not" from the lungs. I do vocal excercises to strengthen my diaphragm and to keep from BREATHING into the mic.. I LAFF at the PROS that do this.. ahahaha! what? am I MORE PROFESSIONAL than those "pros"? MAYBE! ahahaha! I wish I could get paid like 'em.. ahaha!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

And I can't listen to NIN for more that 3 minutes at a time, but I can listen to Tori all day. That other people have become obsessed with her is no reflection on her musical talent though. And that breathiness is part of her style. Thats just how she sings, and uses a microphone. No she does not rock,but so what? Many great artists dont'. Again. She is a very brave artist who has continually taken chances and grown in the process. Unlike just about every body else with her status. And for anyone who hasn't listened to her more recent stuff, Check out "Scarlets Walk". She also produced it as well. A great recording/performance.

HEY if I wanna hear folkes BREATHE i will go to the ICU ward of the HORSEPILLAR.. I ain't knockin her PERSONALLY and one has to recognize her CONTRIBUTIONS yet that BREATHIN thang kills it for me... I will try again, yet I feel she is gonna do it on EVERY SONG.. I cain't take too much of that.. ahahah!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Despite Arell's heckling, it's nice to see I'm not alone in my admiration for Tori. She's a hell of a songwriter, and a hell of a powerful singer. I never knew she played bass and drums as well :eek: My fave album is actually the [i]Crucify[/i] EP - her cover of "Smells like Teen Spirit" was both astonishing and hauntingly beautiful. What an edge-rider she is!

[quote]I don't know much about chords when it comes to the piano, but she sure plays some weird ones.[/quote]The chords she plays for the most part really aren't all the complex but she's very musical in her composition. I like the way she sings...she sings like a man at times and other times very gentle and sexy. She has accomplished something that I think is extremely difficult...she's written very strong and memorable melodies based on very simple harmony, often modal. When I sit down to play one of her songs...the simplicity just amazes me...how can it be such a powerful and creative song using such old forms? She's for real. I also have a lot of respect for her timing...not many women are able to attack the ivory that way.

She didn't used to breath as much, but I think she uses it as part of the sexual energy that a lot of her music hinges on, not to mention her image. She's a very good musician, one of my favorites, but she's also very good at playing a character. Guitplayer, she is a very good player isn't she? Have you ever seen her play two keyboards at once? The first time I ever saw her playing was on Saturday Night Live, and she had a harpsichord set up directly behind her. In the middle of the song, she reached one hand over to the harpsichord, and played both for a little, then fully switched to the harpsichord without missing a beat. That's talent.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Any good looking girl who sings: [b]"I'll pull back the hood and I was talking to you[/b] [b]... break the silver lining"[/b], has definatly got my attention !!!! :o And I can listen to the [b]same song [/b] over and over [b]All Day.[/b] I did a couple records with Davit Segerson just prior to his Tori Amos discovery. Steve, I also recorded one of your dads later gigs. I NEED to send you a CD. Russ http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

[quote]Originally posted by Veracohr: [b] Guitplayer, she is a very good player isn't she? Have you ever seen her play two keyboards at once? The first time I ever saw her playing was on Saturday Night Live, and she had a harpsichord set up directly behind her. In the middle of the song, she reached one hand over to the harpsichord, and played both for a little, then fully switched to the harpsichord without missing a beat. That's talent.[/b][/quote]Yeah, I was impressed. I didn't see the whole show, so if she did the "two keyboard" thing, I missed it. She did do a cool simple thing on a song I did see... she played a nice little chord part with her left hand and smacked out a rhythm part on the soundboard of the piano... nicely syncopated, very musical... unexpected. I've heard good female keyboard players before, but her whole "vibe" was very nice. I liked her. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by russrags: [b]Any good looking girl who sings: [b]"I'll pull back the hood and I was talking to you[/b] [b]... break the silver lining"[/b], has definatly got my attention !!!! :o And I can listen to the [b]same song [/b] over and over [b]All Day.[/b] I did a couple records with Davit Segerson just prior to his Tori Amos discovery. Steve, I also recorded one of your dads later gigs. I NEED to send you a CD. Russ http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale [/b][/quote]Yeah that'd be great...email me again and we'll exchange snail mail addresses...I'll send you some stuff you may dig as well.

[quote]OH BOY! I listened some more.. does that chick know she is AUDIBLY SUCKING AIR? like every other word.. ? what the heck is that? PROFESSIONAL sangers ought to know better? do you believe that she realises what she is doing? ... what is that? do they NOT KNOW? SOMEBODY has to have told 'em? yet I know one should NEVER BREATHE IN THE MIC so the audience can hear it. I LAFF at the PROS that do this.. ahahaha! what? am I MORE PROFESSIONAL than those "pros"? MAYBE! ahahaha![/quote]FYI- There is no right way to do anything musical. A true artist will do whatever they feel they need to do to get their point across. Listen to the RHCP, they sing thru guitar amps, just like the the guy from the strokes does. Have you ever heard of Hip-Hop? There are hundreds of rappers who have made drum sounds with their mouths. Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Kurt Cobain, all sang wrong, but man to be that wrong..... Trust me, Ms. Amos knows that she is breathing into the mic. If you knew anything about her you would know that is part of her style. It is no accident, nor is it bad technique, but an artisitic choice. True artist's can do that. :)

[b]In the middle of the song, she reached one hand over to the harpsichord, and played both for a little, then fully switched to the harpsichord without missing a beat. That's talent.[/b] So what this cat is sayin' is that ol' tori can play piano with BOTH HANDS.. NOW THATS TALENT ahahaha! YEAH she CAN'T HELP SUCKING AIR or else she would'nt do it.. I am gonna go listen to some more TORI if my ol' ears can stand the strain.. If I find a tune of hers that does me right I will let you TORI FANATICS know. I still have my fingers crossed but I am losin' hope..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

[quote]Originally posted by arellspencer: [b][b]In the middle of the song, she reached one hand over to the harpsichord, and played both for a little, then fully switched to the harpsichord without missing a beat. That's talent.[/b] So what this cat is sayin' is that ol' tori can play piano with BOTH HANDS.. NOW THATS TALENT ahahaha! YEAH she CAN'T HELP SUCKING AIR or else she would'nt do it.. I am gonna go listen to some more TORI if my ol' ears can stand the strain.. If I find a tune of hers that does me right I will let you TORI FANATICS know. I still have my fingers crossed but I am losin' hope..[/b][/quote]i saw this CURE cover she did so I did the right thang and listened.LOVE SONG: some cool music and a GREAT SUCKING WOOSHING COW DEATH RATTLE type of noise emanated from my speakers. I kept listenin' and the song began to come alive and while every other word had a breath wooshing cow death rattle noise preceding it; She is very compelling and the song is extremly evocative and satisfying. so much so that I will give it a go and attempt to figger out what progression she is using and I will try to COVER her cover of the cure tune SANS breathing noises. ( does'nt sound too difficult).hopefully I will be able to use BOTH my hands just like TORI ahahaha! so thanks tori FANATICS for your good taste in quality MUSIC..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Archived