Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lachy Doley in Roger Waters� Band

Well having chatted with Lachy pre covid I trust the Rogers Waters tour sets Lachy up with many years of house payments and the rig he would really rather be playing.

The injustice of rank amateurs like me being able to afford whatever we choose because of our day jobs, and the gifted and talented players like Lachy having to make do with less than they would like just don't seem fair.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a full timer whose house payment depends on your next gig/tour/session and your musical resume, of course it's a phenomenal gig.

But I'd start practicing saying, "Yes Mr Waters."

Because Roger Waters (or literally anyone executing an international tour) will be hiring weekend warriors with attitude :rolleyes:

:roll:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

The injustice of rank amateurs like me being able to afford whatever we choose because of our day jobs, and the gifted and talented players like Lachy having to make do with less than they would like just don't seem fair.

It's perfectly fair. My day job pays me for doing stuff that isn't fun. If people got paid as well as me for doing fun stuff, the unfun stuff would never get done.

(I actually enjoy my day job, but not in the same way I enjoy playing gigs)

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If you're a full timer whose house payment depends on your next gig/tour/session and your musical resume, of course it's a phenomenal gig.

Because Roger Waters (or literally anyone executing an international tour) will be hiring weekend warriors with attitude :rolleyes:

Merely pointing out the Irony. None of us became musicians for the money or because we really enjoyed taking orders or working for the man.

Maybe what you're picking up on is my disdain for "Mr Waters". He doesn't have a history of being easy to work with.

I'm hoping Lachey has a better experience with him than Rick Wright did. Remember Rick was only allowed to tour with Floyd on the Wall as a flat fee paid support musician...and then ended up making more money than the rest of the band because the tour lost money.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Merely pointing out the Irony. None of us became musicians for the money or because we really enjoyed taking orders or working for the man..

1. Working as a relatively unknown professional sideman on a major tour, (for an artist like Roger), he very much will be taking orders and working for the man. He will be treated akin to a crew member, and nobody will give two cents about Lachey Doley the solo artist.

2. I wonder why such an iconic and legendary artist as Roger Waters now has to recruit sidemen from the other side of the world via YouTube? Surely Roger must have his industry connections he could use to recruit top notch talent? Hmmm, wonder what that is all about? :snax:

3. Anyone who loves keys would love to play for Roger, and musically, Roger's show is top notch, but.......this one is a bad career move. I would definitely be taking a pass if I was Mr. Doley

2. I wonder why such an iconic and legendary artist as Roger Waters now has to recruit sidemen from the other side of the world via YouTube? Surely Roger must have his industry connections he could use to recruit top notch talent? Hmmm, wonder what that is all about? :snax:

I don't want to extensively quote a 10-minute one to one conversation but there's more to it than just Mr Waters looking at YouTube vids. There were some fairly intensive steps after that.

3. Anyone who loves keys would love to play for Roger, and musically, Roger's show is top notch, but.......this one is a bad career move. I would definitely be taking a pass if I was Mr. Doley

Why? I can see zero downsides. His current fanbase is sizable and I can't imagine any of them caring he's doing 40-50 dates in the USA for a period of time. He also picks up a bunch of potential new fans, although 99% of punters won't give a crap who else is in the band beside Mr Waters. Mr Doley appears to have a brilliant work ethic and will probably play just as many solo gigs around the Waters tour as we was going to anyway. In fact I'm GUESSING that the Waters work will just come at expense of his other gig with Jimmy Barnes rather than solo stuff, depending on tour timing.

I'm hoping Lachey has a better experience with him than Rick Wright did. Remember Rick was only allowed to tour with Floyd on the Wall as a flat fee paid support musician...and then ended up making more money than the rest of the band because the tour lost money.

If Wright made more money than The Floyds you can hope and Roger does pay well but I doubt Roger will pay him that well.

I'm hoping Lachey has a better experience with him than Rick Wright did. Remember Rick was only allowed to tour with Floyd on the Wall as a flat fee paid support musician...

While that was unfortunate and certainly Waters' ego had a lot to do with that, it was a mutual agreement due to the financial situation of the band, Wright's non-contribution and the general meltdown in process. Rick remained a contract sideman for long after Waters had left the band. He was allowed back as a full member only for the Division Bell.

he very much will be taking orders and working for the man. He will be treated akin to a crew member, and nobody will give two cents about Lachey Doley the solo artist

...this one is a bad career move. I would definitely be taking a pass if I was Mr. Doley

OMG, aren't we exaggerating Doley's importance? He's a great hammond player and showman, but I don't see him making the history of music. Honestly, can you think of ANY living keyboard player (except Elton John and maybe Herbie) who could even remotely compare in importance and popularity with the legacy of Pink Floyd?

I bet ALL of the other members of Waters' band (nobody of whom I've ever heard of) are just as good and famous as Doley in their own circles.

Probably, right now in some guitarist's forum people are discussing "How can XYZ be taking that gig for just photocopying Gilmour's solos, when he could go on touring on his own in 200-seats auditoriums?"

I'm hoping Lachey has a better experience with him than Rick Wright did. Remember Rick was only allowed to tour with Floyd on the Wall as a flat fee paid support musician...

While that was unfortunate and certainly Waters' ego had a lot to do with that, it was a mutual agreement due to the financial situation of the band, Wright's non-contribution and the general meltdown in process. Rick remained a contract sideman for long after Waters had left the band. He was allowed back as a full member only for the Division Bell.

For those interested, Bob Ezrin (The Wall co-producer)'s, Waters' and Wright's succinct and somewhat divergent interpretations of the events surrounding Wright's departure can be found in this Rolling Stone article published in 1987: Rolling Stone Article

OMG, aren't we exaggerating Doley's importance? He's a great hammond player and showman, but I don't see him making the history of music. Honestly, can you think of ANY living keyboard player (except Elton John and maybe Herbie) who could even remotely compare in importance and popularity with the legacy of Pink Floyd?

I bet ALL of the other members of Waters' band (nobody of whom I've ever heard of) are just as good and famous as Doley in their own circles.

Probably, right now in some guitarist's forum people are discussing "How can XYZ be taking that gig for just photocopying Gilmour's solos, when he could go on touring on his own in 200-seats auditoriums?"

I"m not saying it"s a bad move because Doley is some musical genius who is sacrificing his own career to be a sideman. If it were just about the music, this gig is a dream. I can"t really go into why being associated with Roger comes with it"s own baggage due to forum policies, so at the risk of creating drama, I"m going back to my hobbit hole.

Lachy Doley and Rick Wright have entirely different relationships to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd's music, simple as that. He's a hired gun. He's gonna play what's asked, whether it's note-for-note or wild solos, then collect the cheque. And you can bet he's gonna smile doing it.

Also, we'd be foolish to think this won't be a boon for his career. He's already got Jack Bruce on his bio. He's an expert with viral marketing and will absolutely be able to leverage a bunch of content out of this that'll be used to grow his fanbase and sell both his music and his lessons.

Lachy Doley and Rick Wright have entirely different relationships to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd's music, simple as that. He's a hired gun. He's gonna play what's asked, whether it's note-for-note or wild solos, then collect the cheque. And you can bet he's gonna smile doing it.

Also, we'd be foolish to think this won't be a boon for his career. He's already got Jack Bruce on his bio. He's an expert with viral marketing and will absolutely be able to leverage a bunch of content out of this that'll be used to grow his fanbase and sell both his music and his lessons.

I've taken plenty of jobs that helped me in the long run that I hated doing. That's all I was saying. This seems like a great opportunity. My point was, it's sure going to be a different gig than rippin VooDoo Chile on the WhammyClav.

And there's plenty of dudes in the world I wouldn't work for no matter how much you paid me. From what I've read and seen, Roger Waters is someone I'd approach cautiously and keep a valid exit strategy.

SRV turned down David Bowie when he was a relative unknown.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Oh I can imagine Roger Waters is an exacting personality to say the least, but I doubt an 'exit strategy' is needed. I'm guessing Lachy is seeing it as a great opportunity to play a couple of months of dates in the US with an iconic performer and even if it becomes a hardship it's a finite gig.