Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

p.s. nicain, did you see my post # #3074806 above? I'm curious about any experience you might have putting the HX3 on the Vox.

Hey, I did see it, I haven't tried it as the Vox touch strips just don't make great drawbars (they're way too innacurate), but when I have time I'll reprogramme the drawbar CC#s on the HX3 to match the Vox strips and see what happens when I change presets, probably get to it next weekend.

Cool, thanks. As for using the touch strips as drawbars, yes, it can be a bit tricky. You can even see in the livestream (post #3074630) that the guy demonstrating could not use them flawlessly (see the 40 seconds or so starting at 12:00). It may help to make sure your initial finger contact is *on* the strip rather than sliding your finger on to it from a point above or below? And I think tapping directly on where you want it to be may be a bit more reliable than sliding. I actually wonder whether the "frame" above the strips could be removed, leaving just the strips behind, and whether that would increase reliability, by removing all those raised bits that get in the way of making physical contact.

Yes, It's interesting: the AP is softer to push and softer to hold than the Hammond, but the action feels heavier and slower, WTF?

I think that's because of the escapement I talked abvout in post #3075047.

Did somebody measure the TP8O?

The TP8 Organ is in the SK1 and the Nord Stage Compact for which there are coin measurements above.

I did provide measurement for the Nord Stage 3 Compact. The SK1 version is not as heavily sprung. It's about the same 14 nickels to move, but only 20 to hold down. Subjectively, it does not push up as much.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Here's a guy using the Vox with an iPad running Camelot Pro... https://www.facebook.com/groups/2160576543958275/permalink/4289231401092768/ -- It's an interesting way to approach the VC, combining one of the best feeling 7x-key actions in a lightweight board with a surface area that's got lots of space for an iPad, in order to combine the sounds/functions that Vox is strong at with an iPad to fill in the gaps where the VC's sounds/functions may fall a bit short. Especially if you're trying to make it work as your only board.

This picks up a bit from the earlier mention of niacin using his HX3 with his YC61, and my wondering how well that kind of thing would work with the Vox (in this case substituting an iPad for the HX3). The YC has some clear advantages here, i.e. having audio in and MIDI zoning (including the ability to have its patch select buttons send user-specified Program Changes). But at least for now, only the Vox gives you the option of 73 keys, and a convenient place to actually place the iPad. Using an app like Camelot Pro or Keystage gets around most of the Vox's limited MIDI functionality, though it does mean running it in Local Off mode, where you'll lose the high trigger for organ, though YC61 doesn't have high trigger anyway. YC61 also has more controls that actually send MIDI which you could take advantage of... some are sysex which is more of a pain, but Vox doesn't even have that, from what I can tell from their MIDI Implementation docs. I'm thinking that adding a Korg NanoKontrol would be nice in this setup... again, the large clear panel space on the Vox gives you flexibility here. But you're also getting further away from the simplicity of a plug-and-play board and creating a potential octopus... i.e. using that space for an iPad, a NanoKontrol, a USB hub so you can attach the keyboard and the NK to the iPad, and maybe a small mixer since we don't have the audio in. Maybe it's not so bad if you leave most or all of it permanently attached (e.g. velcro), and snake up whatever wiring is needed.

Getting back to that facebook Camelot Pro example, other lightweight 7x boards with enough free panel space to place an iPad would be the MODX7, Krome EX73, FA-07, and Juno DS76, most of which are even lighter than the Vox 73, and WAY more flexible. The Vox does have the nicest action, though.

just watched. thanks for posting, Scott. Saw they never answered your question (pretty sure it was you) about contact info.

They did answer, actually... they said you can send suggestions to support@korgusa.com - so I guess you have to hope that whoever that gets to actually passes suggestions on to someone on the design team or who could possibly have influence on future development. I admit, I'm skeptical but I'll probably assemble some and give it a go.

It's interesting how different companies handle this. Yamaha has an official web site for product suggestions (ideascale), though amusingly, someone here said they suspected it was about as effective as the close door button in an elevator. It is true that they rarely respond there. Someone else posted somewhere that, when they tried emailing Roland support with a suggestion, they were told they don't take suggestions there, and suggested maybe emailing legal, of all things. I've emailed with Dexibell, and they are nicely responsive, probably because they are still small enough! Big companies are tough. I happen to know people who work at keyboard companies who have told me how hard it is to get even their own suggestions considered.

Cheers A/Scott. Vox time.

It does tempt me. I really enjoyed playing it. I just don't know if it does enough of what I need to serve an actual purpose for me, e.g. to ever be one of the (typically) two boards I choose to take to a particular gig, or the one board I take to a casual get-together.

I am considering this futher, looking at its potential as a "bottom" board. Right now, I'd usually take the PX5S, but if I'm willing to give up the hammer action as long as it was for at least a really good non-hammer one, then the Vox is lighter and I think better sounding for many of the sounds I'd use it for. Of course the PX5S is way more flexible in many ways, but not necessarily in ways I need in my bottom board for the kinds of gigs I'm talking about.

In this usage, though, since I like to keep my second tier keys close to my first, the second board would be brought over the panel of the Vox, so I would not have access to the touch strips or real time effects controls, for example. I'd essentially be directly replacing the way I use the PX-5S in these gigs... basically a set of keys and patch select buttons... just possibly getting an alternative that weighs less, casts smaller footprint, and largely sounds better. But I may miss some of the PX-5S sounds as well, along with its actual hammer action, and maybe requiring more button presses to get to some of the sounds. Hmmm.

Being probably the lightest board that I could enjoy playing piano on, the Vox might also be a good choice for solo ceremony/cocktail hour stuff. My preference there is to use something with built-in speakers (speed of setup/teardown is a high priority), but I'm again thinking about what I might possibly be able to attach to the flat surface of the VC if I were to use it this way. My current board for this is the Korg PA1000, basically because it's arguably the lightest board with good enough, loud enough speakers, but the 61 keys and the just-adequate action are limitations I'm very aware of when using it basically as just a "piano." The PA1000 is a board I ended up liking even more than expected, though I'm not so happy with it for that particular use, despite that being one of my rationales for buying it. (Luckily, I had/have other uses for it as well!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Or a Roland RD-88 bottom and a Vox 73 top?

The Vox doesn't really suit me as a top board. I like my top to have easy access to a lot of patches (I use a lot more different sounds on top than bottom), I like to see the names of the patches, and if I'm doing LH bass, I want easy selection of different RH sounds, sent out a separate output.

My picks for a LHB-suitable 7x-key top board to put over a Vox 73:

Juno DS76 - lightest, good interface for working with splits

MODX7 - stronger sound set, more flexibility, touchscreen patch selection interface

forthcoming PC4-7 - assignable outs, aftertouch

...and as I mentioned, if LHB isn't needed, I like the AX-Edge... it's super light, it's got aftertouch, and you can have fun stepping out and using it as a keytar now and then. The patch selection scheme lags those others, but I think it's manageable, if you want those other benefits. BTW, its sounds are the same as the "PRE 1" and "CMN" banks of the RD88.

I haven't been able to check out an RD88 yet. It looks nice, but if I were going to change top boards, I don't think I'd see a reason to replace the 24 lb PX-5S on bottom with the heavier RD88, especially since I prefer the lighter feeling action of the Casio (based on playing other Rolands with the same action).

p.s. nicain, did you see my post # #3074806 above? I'm curious about any experience you might have putting the HX3 on the Vox.

Hey, I did see it, I haven't tried it as the Vox touch strips just don't make great drawbars (they're way too innacurate), but when I have time I'll reprogramme the drawbar CC#s on the HX3 to match the Vox strips and see what happens when I change presets, probably get to it next weekend.

I actually got a chance to try B-3X (iPad) on a Vox. The Vox does not do the nice YC61 trick of sending its drawbar data out when calling up a saved organ regsitration. You can probably get around that by programming the same patch into, for example Vox Scene #1 and B3X preset #1 (i.e. both are associated with Program Change = 0), but it would mean programming in every saved regsitration twice (once into each saved device), assuming you want to use the Vox's frontpanel buttons to recall B-3X (or, presumably, HX3) patches. There's also no Vox buttons you can repurpose to do things like turn Percussion on and off. For B-3X, you can put the iPad on the front panel, and use the on-screen controls for percussion, not too bad, but that won't help for HX3. You'll also have to deal with how to get the audio where you want it, since the Vox does not have an audio input. So yeah, the YC61 looks like a much better controller for an external organ source. But Vox is at least usable, with a bit of effort, if you prefer the Vox for its action, or its 73 keys, or its EPs, whatever.

As an aside, the Vox I tried this with seemed to have more finicky touchstrips than the earlier one I played. I had a heckuva time trying to get the first drawstrip to 6. I'd keep tapping 6, and it would usually end up at 5, or sometimes 7. It was very hesitant to lock into that 6! Has anyone else here experienced that kind of thing?

All three exhibit identical behavior, A/Scott.

which three? Which behavior? I talked about too much different stuff, so I'm confused. ;-)

I had a heckuva time trying to get the first drawstrip to 6. I'd keep tapping 6, and it would usually end up at 5, or sometimes 7. It was very hesitant to lock into that 6! Has anyone else here experienced that kind of thing?

Scott, I believe Fleer is referencing the 3 Vox Continentals he owns have the same issues as the one you describe here.

:nopity:

I actually got a chance to try B-3X (iPad) on a Vox. The Vox does not do the nice YC61 trick of sending its drawbar data out when calling up a saved organ regsitration. You can probably get around that by programming the same patch into, for example Vox Scene #1 and B3X preset #1 (i.e. both are associated with Program Change = 0), but it would mean programming in every saved regsitration twice (once into each saved device), assuming you want to use the Vox's frontpanel buttons to recall B-3X (or, presumably, HX3) patches. There's also no Vox buttons you can repurpose to do things like turn Percussion on and off. For B-3X, you can put the iPad on the front panel, and use the on-screen controls for percussion, not too bad, but that won't help for HX3. You'll also have to deal with how to get the audio where you want it, since the Vox does not have an audio input. So yeah, the YC61 looks like a much better controller for an external organ source. But Vox is at least usable, with a bit of effort, if you prefer the Vox for its action, or its 73 keys, or its EPs, whatever.

As an aside, the Vox I tried this with seemed to have more finicky touchstrips than the earlier one I played. I had a heckuva time trying to get the first drawstrip to 6. I'd keep tapping 6, and it would usually end up at 5, or sometimes 7. It was very hesitant to lock into that 6! Has anyone else here experienced that kind of thing?

I'm glad you got to check this out, but yes when I said I wouldn't use it for drawbars live I wasn't kidding, more often than not it takes more than one go to get the right setting on any given strip, whether you tap or slide or what doesn't seem to matter.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I had a heckuva time trying to get the first drawstrip to 6. I'd keep tapping 6, and it would usually end up at 5, or sometimes 7. It was very hesitant to lock into that 6! Has anyone else here experienced that kind of thing?

Scott, I believe Fleer is referencing the 3 Vox Continentals he owns have the same issues as the one you describe here.

Ah, that makes sense!

but yes when I said I wouldn't use it for drawbars live I wasn't kidding, more often than not it takes more than one go to get the right setting on any given strip, whether you tap or slide or what doesn't seem to matter.

And still more confirmation.

If I remember correctly the VOX features a system setting where you can change the sensitivity of the touch drawbars. This might help to fix de described behaviour.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

If I remember correctly the VOX features a system setting where you can change the sensitivity of the touch drawbars. This might help to fix de described behaviour.
Thank you! I'd be curious to hear whether anyone else succeeded with that adjustment. Here it is from the manual:

11. Touch sensor calibration

Use these steps to adjust the sensitivity of the touch sensors depending on your playing environment, if they do not seem to operate as you like.

1 Turn off the VOX Continental.

2 While holding down the EXIT and CONTROL buttons, press the power button to turn on the VOX Continental. The LEDs of the touch sensor on the leftmost side will start to light up and down.

3 Trace your finger along the touch sensor to chase the LED lights as they move. When the touch sensor that is lit is finished calibrating, the LEDs on the next touch sensor will start to light up and down.

4 In the same way, trace along the touch sensor to chase the LED lights as they move. Do this until you have calibrated all the touch sensors from left to right.

When all touch sensors have been calibrated, you will be able to play.

Well spotted. I'd glossed over calibration in the manual. The biggest problem I have with drawbars is getting them to go to zero, half the time I end up qith one LED on and can't get rid of it so you continue to hear the drawbar. I'll try calibration on the weekend.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Some nice pairings above the Vox...

My own use for the VC as a "bottom" during performance really should only require access to the scene patch recall buttons (which I would label). I don't think I'd need to use the touchstrips, so I can keep the keys of the two boards very close, as I prefer. Although you may not be able to tell from the photos, these arrangements also let me toggle the tube and dynamics knobs.

IMG-6331.jpg

AX-Edge - lightest of these at 9.3 lbs, aftertouch, updatable zencore soundset, plus you can pick it up and use it as a keytar now and then. Bonus, the shape means I can also access the Vox' volume control, which is nice (though not essential, I can use the volume pedal).

IMG-6330.jpg

Roland Juno DS61 - at 11.75 lbs, the lightest board that I find reasonably well suited for LH bass (due to easily accessible separate volume and octave adjustments for the LH and RH sounds, the ability to seamlessly change the RH sound without glitching the bass, the ability to pan the bass to a separate output from the rest of the sounds), and also adds some custom sample loading. Available free panel space, e.g. for an iPad. (DS76 could be another option here, 15.25 lbs, with better action and the extra keys for more flexible splits.)

IMG-6332.jpg

Yamaha MODX7 - 16.3 lbs, with a generally better soundset than DS, a whole lot more sample memory, full FM synth, touchscreen patch selection, better MIDI functionality for integrating external sounds. Another with free panel space. Slightly narrower keys than the Vox below.

IMG-6329.jpg

Nord Stage 3 Compact - 22 lbs, weaker than the others at quick patch selection, and no free panel space, but beats them on organ and providing a knobby synth. Also has aftertouch and user sample memory. Nice "Dual KB" support to easily make use of the Vox underneath as a second organ manual, or to play the Nord pianos from the Vox keys while playing other Nord sounds from the Nord.

Future prospect... Kurzweil PC4-7.

gotta love those Invisible Stands. :cool:

Yeah. Best equivalent today is K&M 18880 w/18881 stacker flipped around, but I was able to get the two tiers closer on this Invisible (there are actually two versions), and the Vox is such a thin keyboard that it can be a trick to get the front of the second keyboard low enough to rest on it! On the K&M, I had the idea of using velcro to attach a removable small wood "riser" to each of the bottom supports for when you were using a shallow bottom board, but never got around to doing it. That should work though... if you can't get the top support low enough, the answer would be to make the bottom support higher!

Scott, so you finally bought one? Further thoughts?

Yeah, a 73 popped up on Reverb at a good price, so I took the dive. First issue was a bunch of noise, which disappeared when I put a 3-to-2 adapter on the AC plug (that kind of thing can often be specific to a particular locale). And then, as I mentioned, the touchstrips seemed more finicky than what I remembered from my brief experience earlier on a 61, but with so many people agreeing that "that's the way they are" and realizing that my particular usage was not going to rely on them, I decided to keep it anyway. (Maybe that 61 really was better, or maybe I just didn't use it enough to notice just how finicky it was and none of them are really any better anyway, I don't know... but no one has chimed in and says "mine work perfectly!" so I suspect it's a limitation of the tech, with variations unlikely to be significant.) I did try the calibration once and it didn't fix the issue... but I've meant to see if they ever posted a video on it, to be sure I'm doing it right.

As a bottom, where I've most often used a Casio 88, all I really need is to be able to quickly switch among a relatively small number of sounds, and the Scene select buttons are sufficient for that (especially with the realization posted earlier that each Scene remembers all 4 of its possible sounds, not just the ones that are active), and the just-above-the-keys placement allows me to treat the board as just as "shallow" as a Privia for stacking above... the controls I'm "hiding" in the above stacks are mostly controls I didn't have/use before anyway. It's almost like this board has the "big flat top" that so many wish more boards had, even though there are controls there... though it will still be handy to have those controls pre-gig for assembling the sounds I will want those Scene select buttons to recall. Especially depending on the particular top board, though, you might want to use some kind of rubber "stopper" between the boards, to make sure you're not putting the weight of the top board on any knobs that possibly shouldn't be supporting such weight.

As much as I've liked some of the Privia models (I've used ones in the 24 to 28 lb range), I like that this is just 18.5 lbs, and I'm happy enough playing pianos from its action, and it has a generally stronger sound set. I made some comment earlier about wishing for better piano sounds, but I've warmed up to them. So okay, I may prefer a piano in my Nord or whatever, but really, my reference here--what it would be replacing--is only the piano in my Casio. Which was certainly usable. Sometimes it's just a matter of expectations. These pianos are still a nice step up from what they are replacing.

One difference in usage is that I'm likely to actually use the Vox for some additional sounds that I previously would have grabbed from the upper board, just because of how much I like some of the sounds in the Vox. And even though its tonewheel organ is disappointing by clonewheel standards, in most of my 2-board setups, it will still give me a better organ than I'd have had before (and for most gigs, my live drawbar manipulation is a luxury, not a necessity, and not something I often had before and would be losing here by covering the drawstrips anyway).

This usage may not be what any of the designers had in mind, but it looks like it really can make for a nice lightweight slab-style "lower tier" stage piano, even basically ignoring most of its controls and organ functionalities. Now all I need are some gigs!

This usage may not be what any of the designers had in mind, but it looks like it really can make for a nice lightweight slab-style "lower tier" stage piano, even basically ignoring most of its controls and organ functionalities. Now all I need are some gigs!

It's exactly why I decided to buy the Vox, and how I use it :) And for such a nice price. And I'm so happy with it ;-)!!!!!

Don't even care about the Vox organ (except maybe to play Light My Fire at a Friend's party ah ah!!!). The CX-3 engine can work well though for some blues, soul or Funk songs, so I can still put it to use.

Just seeing Josh Paxton's Valente thread, the smallest/lightest thing to put over a Vox would be a Korg Microstation!

The CX-3 engine can work well though for some blues or soul songs, so I can still use put it to use.

Yes, it still gives me a better organ than anything else I'd have in a 2-board rig unless the other board itself has a clonewheel function. It's nice to have the dedicated rotary footswitch available for it, too. When I play a typical "rompler" organ on a second tier, I probably miss that more than actual drawbars.

I mentioned earlier that I saw some potential secondary uses for it, besides as my main "lower/piano" board..

...One was as a "solo piano" board e.g. for cermonies/cocktail hours, if I could find suitable small, light, but still loud enough speakers that could sit on the flat surface of the VC ... I think the iLoud Micro Monitors might do the trick.

...The second could be for the rare times I want to play with a single board... like when you have to be on and off the stage quickly for a short set, or a difficult load-in, tiny stage, some rehearsals, whatever... The VC is not, itself, versatile enough for this (for my usages), but I think the approach I talked about in post #3076103 (where I linked to someone's facebook post) could also work quite well, sitting an iPad (or Surface Pro) on the free panel space, and largely using the Vox for the benefit of it being the lightest bigger-than-61 board with an action that can really cover all kinds of playing quite comfortably (though still integrating its internal sounds when desired). Ultimately, you can always get whatever sounds you need... the things you can't change are the feel of the action, the travel weight, the number of keys... and from this respect, at this point, nothing beats the VC.

So yeah, as you can tell, I'm feeling good about the purchase. ;-)

...One was as a "solo piano" board e.g. for cermonies/cocktail hours, if I could find suitable small, light, but still loud enough speakers that could sit on the flat surface of the VC ... I think the iLoud Micro Monitors might do the trick. ....

For this, I'm using the VX50KB keyboard amplifier from Vox. It's very light, nice looking, powerful enough (50W) and sounds very good for all instrument types. Plus it's not too expensive.

It has 3 line inputs (including a switchable line/mic input) and an aux input, so you can even plug the headphone output of the iPad to get all the additional sounds you need for your second use case. Even better, if you have a Korg Plugkey, you can plug its line ouput to a line input of the amp to have even better control of the volume and the gain. It has also a line output, to send the signal to a mixing board.

It's such a nice little amp that I'm thinking of buying a second one to make myself an independent stereo monitoring for the Vox and the SV2.

...One was as a "solo piano" board e.g. for cermonies/cocktail hours, if I could find suitable small, light, but still loud enough speakers that could sit on the flat surface of the VC ... I think the iLoud Micro Monitors might do the trick. ....

For this, I'm using the VX50KB keyboard amplifier from Vox. It's very light, nice looking, powerful enough (50W) and sounds very good for all instrument types. Plus it's not too expensive.

That's another piece I've always thought looked appealing. But for this purpose, I'd want something lighter than its 9 lbs, and something small enough to sit on the board and maybe actually include in the keyboard's carry bag.

Just seeing Josh Paxton's Valente thread, the smallest/lightest thing to put over a Vox would be a Korg Microstation!

Funny you should mention it! I just added a rather "thorough" post about my unexpected newfound use for it in the "Dig My Rig" thread.

Very cool... I wish I had the customization skills of folks like you and EscapeRocks!

...One was as a "solo piano" board e.g. for cermonies/cocktail hours, if I could find suitable small, light, but still loud enough speakers that could sit on the flat surface of the VC
Here's a really off-the-wall suggestion from me. Secondhand Dell AX510PA monitor soundbar:

ka02R000000hH9AQAU_en_US_3.jpeg

The work-from-home thing made me dig out my old Dell monitor, and I wanted better sound than my (employer-supplied) laptop speakers. £15 from the Bay, and it's surprisingly nice. Only 10w output, and you won't get a ton of bass out of those little speakers, but it might do the trick for you.

One thing to watch, you can see that it needs a wall-wart PSU, with "reversed" connectors - the PSU has a socket, not a plug. But that can easily be rewired.

There are newer monitor soundbars of this type, USB-powered, but they only get 5w of power.

Cheers, Mike.

...One was as a "solo piano" board e.g. for cermonies/cocktail hours, if I could find suitable small, light, but still loud enough speakers that could sit on the flat surface of the VC
Here's a really off-the-wall suggestion from me. Secondhand Dell AX510PA monitor soundbar

A soundbar is an interesting idea, if it doesn't add its own DSP latency. Coincidentally, being discussed in another thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3078798/soundbar-keyboard-monitor

Getting back to my post about combinations...

For now, if I actually had a gig, I decided I'd probably go with the MODX7 on top of the Vox. Each pairing I mentioned has something to recommend it, but the Yamaha's sounds, low weight, touchscreen patch selection, 76 keys, sample loading, and place to hold an iPad gives me what would probably be my most useful combination in most cases.

Longer term, looking at things that are not shipping yet but probably will be by the time I start gigging again, the Kurzweil PC4-7 and Hammond SK Pro 73 both look really appealing.

...The Kurz (19.4 lbs) basically gives me everything the MODX has except touchscreen patch selection, but its patch selection scheme is not bad, and it adds aftertouch, better organ with real-time 9 drawbar control, assignable outputs, and more real-time controls. The big unknown is what the action will feel like.

...The Hammond is still a bit of a question when it comes to patch selection facilities, lacks the aftertouch of the Kurz and the sample loading and aftertouch that one or both of the above choices have, is almost certainly not as strong sounding in its sampled ("rompler") sounds as they are, lacks their FM engine, has less MIDI controller functionality, plus it's a bit chunky (relatively speaking) at 24.3 lbs. I shouldn't want to consider it. But those videos from Jim and others keep drawing me in! The organ sound, all the dedicated organ and (mono) synth controls, an on-screen interface for other sound editing that looks far simpler than what's on the Kurz or Yamaha, that nice (Vox-style!) centrally located set of buttons for quick sound selection within a combination, there's something "fun" in what I'm seeing that just says "play me!" Plus unlike the others, it also should let me create a nice 2-manual organ with the Vox on bottom. In a way, like the Vox, it's not the most sensible option on paper, but there's something about it that just seems like it would work for me. In many ways, it overlaps the Nord Stage 3 option I included in my photos, but as I was just discussing in the Hammond Teaser thread, despite that boards's strengths, I think the Hammond is a better match for the way I'd be using it. Though whether I'd actually end up often preferring it as my main 2nd-board above the Vox in a 2-board rig (compared to the MODX7/PC4-7), I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's say you save a scene that has only an Organ sound active. Can that scene also include a silent but specific piano sound, and EP sound, and key/layer sound, from which you could subsequently select from within the same scene? IOW, recalling the scene would immediately give you an organ sound, but the same scene is also programmed so that hitting the Piano button will give you, say, an Upright, EP will give you Reed piano #6, and Key/Layer will give you its Tape Strings sound, if that's how you set it up?

yes

I did hit a disappointment here. Yes, you can switch among 4 saved sounds within a single scene, but unlike when you switch scenes, there is no seamless switching among these four sounds... a held/sustained/decaying sound will immediately cut off when you switch to another sound. :-(