Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best new or old synth to own as a toy

The Behringer 2600 synth and thread has ignited my passion to own a financially feasible play tool. Of course it could be used for music but personally I'm only interested in piano at my age, but I do miss the fun element of programming interesting sounds. The mini Odyssey, 2600, Hydrasynth, other newer synths makes it a difficult final choice. Soft sythns also have many choices but I'm only interested in a tactile experience as well as sound. Having poly after touch would be best, but I'm not married to that idea, nor is the size of the keyboard.

Any thoughts?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might enjoy the Behringer Deepmind 12. I really enjoyed messing around with it the couple of times I played it, it kinda sucked me in.

If you don"t mind mini keys, more options are available.

The Deepmind 12 was on my radar at first cause it has things I'm familiar with, but the newer models like Hydra (and others,) seem more experimental and more fun.

Of the old tech ones, I remember seeing a Prophet with minikeys I thought was really cool.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The Behringer 2600 synth and thread has ignited my passion to own a financially feasible play tool. Of course it could be used for music but personally I'm only interested in piano at my age, but I do miss the fun element of programming interesting sounds.

I highlighted these from the quote because it's a valid consideration.

For me, as an EP player primarily, a Yamaha Reface DX satisfies my synth programming itch. But, FM isn't for everyone. :D

Defining your idea of fun as it relates to synth programming would help narrow recommendations.

Some folks prefer a simple knobby synth with no menu diving while others want a synth with knobs, sliders, pages of menus and an Air-fryer option.:laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dr. Mike (who turned me on to the Hydrasynth at NAMM 2020) has done an outstanding job of covering all the bases of the Hydrasynth in the GearLab Forum. Marino also does a video and has his custom patches available to forum members for free at the MPN shop.

If all this doesn't make you want to buy a Hydrasynth, then it's not for you.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3039511/in-the-lab-meet-the-asm-hydrasynth#Post3039511

:nopity:

I'd recommend the Yamaha Reface series - I got my songs the CS for Christmas and it's really a really nice synth for $300. It sort of might look like a "toy" and it has built-in speakers, but it's great for just grabbing, putting on your lap, and playing with sounds.

You can't store sounds on it - but they can connect via MIDI or USB and you can use Yamaha's site to save sounds to cloud and so on (there are also other methods).

The CS is more like a traditional analog subtractive synth than say, the DX (which is for FM synthesis) or the EP and organ ones obviously.

I agree if you want to go more towards the "knobby" side of things things like the Korg Minilogue (or XD) or the Monoloque would be great - Hyrdasynth is pretty awesome too but maybe overkill for what you want to do.

Pick it up, turn it on, play, make some slider change to create a sound - bam, that's the Yamaha Refaces right there.

If all this doesn't make you want to buy a Hydrasynth, then it's not for you.
I remember seeing those videos and poly after touch and ribbon along with how it is set up to build a sound is cool. Thanks for the link as I hope there will be more links so i can refer back as I decide.

There is a range of prices there, from the $1,299 or so Hydrasynth on down. The Refaces have tiny 2w speakers for playing on the couch. The Roland Jupiter Xm has similar speakers and will run on batteries, but costs about $1400-1500. Its a powerhouse, but not ideal for noodling in the den. I second the Korg Minilogue. Its only 4-voice analog, but those go a very long way, especially if you sweeten the one digital voice slot with a couple of oscillator model plug-ins from Sinevibes or Mutable Instruments. Its knobby and invites exploration.

You generally have to buy a more upscale instrument to get Poly AT, depending on how you see the Hydrasynth overall. Its a beautiful feature, but IMO, you should commit to a controller such as a small Seaboard or Sensei Morph first, to see if it clicks with your style. It could become your main voice or fall to the wayside as just too weird.

Or you can amplify a kazoo and try to vocode it. :idk:

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

Face it, they're all toys. Some are more affordable. Some are more practical. Some are more collectable. But in the end, they're all just physical doo-dads designed to give you pleasure.

Find one that hits as many of your buttons as possible and decide whether you can afford it...or at least justify the cost to yourself and anyone else you might be answerable to.

On a bang for the buck basis, I'd have to say I get the most out of my Behringer Model D, but it requires an external keyboard--or at least it does for the way I play it. I suppose you could use a sequencer or whatever. All the other key/synth thingies I've got cost more than the D, both on a relative and an absolute basis. Some of them I like better than the D, but given the cost of a D, it's the value champ, especially if you pick one up used.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I think the fun factor and endless discovery of a monophonic, non-programmable analog synth can't be over-estimated. Case in point, a current thread by a veteran synth geek & fellow forumite posting about making fart noises with a minimoog.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The Korg Wavestate seems great to get lost in spatial grooves for 20 minutes at a time :puff:

Reads like the Wavestate could be your synth. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think the fun factor and endless discovery of a monophonic, non-programmable analog synth can't be over-estimated. Case in point, a current thread by a veteran synth geek & fellow forumite posting about making fart noises with a minimoog.

I totally agree. I was giving my opinion but hearing both Korgs (I like their price point,) I would have more fun with the Wavestate as I have no interest in overdubbing music. I just want to get inspired and make it a diversion to learning jazz. I also could see me using it in an ensemble.

The Korg Wavestate seems great to get lost in spatial grooves for 20 minutes at a time :puff:

Reads like the Wavestate could be your synth. :cool:

thanks

I don't own one, got real close to playing this one, but there was not enough time that day. Brother Paolo Synthmania does a nice review here.

Thanks. Part of me likes the exploration benefits of a real wave table synth but since I have no plans to record and overdub, I still feel the Wavestate would be more fun as a stand alone. I'm amazed at the selection out there since I stopped playing multikeys.

I don't own one, got real close to playing this one, but there was not enough time that day. Brother Paolo Synthmania does a nice review here.

Thanks. Part of me likes the exploration benefits of a real wave table synth but since I have no plans to record and overdub, I still feel the Wavestate would be more fun as a stand alone. I'm amazed at the selection out there since I stopped playing multikeys.

The Wavestate sounds like more of a best-bet as we go. Note that while lacking Poly AT, it DOES offer release velocity from the keys, a similar rare treat that's quite expressive as-is. There are some very pleasing pianos and orchestral things in it, so its not purely electronic. (I play the Legacy Wavestation; its a sweet tool.) It contains part of the old Wavestation soundset, but plenty of new material as well. Its also one of those synths that's ideal above a main instrument/controller, so if you have a workstation or DP of some kind, folding that into the rig would be a plus. Besides, when you play a single multitimbral synth for a group, their eyes often bug out to a satisfying degree.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

This video help me see that the Korg Wavestate besides being great for jamming it does have the capacity to use old-school to create patches. I was beginning to think all I would do is pop up a preset and play but the idea of creating a thick pad like an Oberheim opens up the possibility to use in a live situation. I haven't finalized my decision but I'm closer before starting this thread. Thanks to all.

[video:google]

This video help me see that the Korg Wavestate besides being great for jamming it does have the capacity to use old-school to create patches. I was beginning to think all I would do is pop up a preset and play but the idea of creating a thick pad like an Oberheim opens up the possibility to use in a live situation. I haven't finalized my decision but I'm closer before starting this thread. Thanks to all.

Absolutely. The wave sequencing gets most of the attention but the Wavestate is a full functional digital synthesizer too.

Some programming and creativity using both aspects of the Wavestate (sound design and wave sequencing) could definitely be useful in a live situation. Go for it. :thu::cool:

PD

No shortage of choices. To many.

The DM12 broke me into sound design. Analog poly. Can make a variety of sounds. Digital effects and many of them if you want. Good arp. Great matrix. You can actually learn it pretty deep in a few weeks, as opposed to nibbbling here and there. Not expensive.

A model D or the 2600 I think would be awesome also.

For sheer power and ease of use it's hard to beat the Virus TI, even today. The 61 version has the greatest synth keybed of all time, the legendary TP/8S. Does all many of wave forms but with a VA interface. Desktop version also.

The Waldorf blofeld also great value. Desktop is cheap, key version has quite a nice bed and small foot print. Like the Hydrasynth, or the Wavestation, you can tell in the demos the learning curve to make anything from scratch is daunting.

Too many choices...

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I don't think it's the sort of thing the original poster had in mind, but Teenage Engineering is the first company that comes to my mind when I think of synth toys.

I'd never buy an OP-1, but I got to borrow one for a couple weeks, and it's adorable.

Synth programming is not generic.

Analog/virtual analog, FM, additive, wavetable, physical modeling, phase distortion and all the rest each have their own methods and quirks.

If you have a preference or leaning towards one of them, it could help you decide.

If you don't have experience with the different types, I wouldn't dismiss softsynths as a means to explore them.

You might find you prefer one type more than the others, and that would give you a good starting point on what type of hardware to look for.

I have been really thinking hard about the Arturia MicroFreak. It seems a lot deeper than it looks.

microfreak-image.png

I agree, I've also looked hard at that one. It might fit the bill, small, with "keyboard", and very affordable. Already has quite a following.

[video:youtube]

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.