Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

thoughts on MiniMoog sound on Cars

I tasked myself with recreating the sounds of the classic anthem. The Polymoog lead sound wasn't difficult, possibly because it is so high in the mix it is easy to hear the details. I'm not saying I nailed it but got close.

For the bass line patch I came up with something that was dual oscillator in mono mode. one OSC square, one OSC Pulse pitched down an octave with no attack and a slight release value.

It kind of sounds like there is a phaser or some kind of effect on the sound too.

I can share them later. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what i came up with.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/133vya9klrd3EjzDa10xDI3h6QNw_PqkH/view?usp=sharing

I'm looking to improve the mini-moog sound. open to feedback/suggestions!

I'm not the best at listening to a sound and then recreating it. I'm trying to get better at the process.

Korg Kross 2. It is multi-sample (rompler) based but has various analog style wave forms you can build patches from i.e. saw, square, pluse, etc. it also has moog based multi-samples. I know it's not a proper analog synth but I find it can get pretty close to emulating the sounds.

The filter I have it set to is 24 DB 4 Pole LPF.

I also have a Behringer MS-1 which is analog but only one VCO so you can't layer up and detune.

Those iconic 4 notes were original written by Gary using a bass guitar.

The synth bass on the recording and live was added to give the "resonant" sound along with the bass. In all of his live concerts from back then to today, that particular bass synth sound isn't necessarily dialed in the same way twice. The only one that is, is the high note Poly Moog sound.

Your recording here sounds fantastic. If you're able, maybe find a good bass guitar patch and add that with your synth bass patch.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Here's what i came up with.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/133vya9klrd3EjzDa10xDI3h6QNw_PqkH/view?usp=sharing

I'm looking to improve the mini-moog sound. open to feedback/suggestions!

I'm not the best at listening to a sound and then recreating it. I'm trying to get better at the process.

Hey, the Polymoog Vox Humana sounds great to me!

As for the bass, I'd say you're very close. Probably, I would try to make it a bit thicker - perhaps by adding an extra oscillator, or a layered sound, with some random detuning, like modulating its pitch *very* slightly with a random - but smooth - LFO, to add that little sense of analog imperfection. :)

I appreciate all the encouragement and feedback!

I noticed it kind of sounds like there are two synths - one panned to each side. The right side is fatter and the left side is thinner and more "phasey" sounding although they both seem to have the effect.

Then there's that B part, is that the MiniMoog or the Poly I wonder? Kind of sounds like the Poly stripped down a bit.

This is fun.

sounds pretty authentic to me, well done!

i did a half-arsed cover on my old FA08, but the supernatural synth did a fine job.

just for fun, here you go! the rest of the video is very cringe, so best to bail out after the performance :) but if you do watch you'll be rewarded with are friends electric...

skip to 0:45 if the link doesn't start there!

[video:youtube]

hang out with me at woody piano shack