Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

My issue with the pad-buttons is that they are not always illuminated when you need them... and when they're not illuminated, it's nearly impossible to read what they are.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Got the PC4 now - this is great! keybed is actually surprisingly good and the anticipation was far worse than the actual reality! Great sounds and loving the fact you can simply import existing FM sysex files from the web and them edit them like any other sound on the PC4..plus the PC4 can add sawtooth and square osc's to the original sine only FM enabling some pretty cool soundscapes!

Still menu diving and playing at the mo, but initial reaction is "wow!"

BTW, don't for get to get in contact with Dave Weiser (the addy is somewhere in this thread) his bass patch tweaks are outstanding...I'll be replacing all the factory ones in the multis with his for sure. His other sounds in the FREE sopundpack are all exceptional as well!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

OK, now maybe a bug??

Can other users p[lease try organ patches 121,124,126 and 145 and please advise if you are getting some really weird and ear-piercing feedback happening...these are factory sounds and all I have done is update the OS to the latest.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

OK, now maybe a bug??

Can other users p[lease try organ patches 121,124,126 and 145 and please advise if you are getting some really weird and ear-piercing feedback happening...these are factory sounds and all I have done is update the OS to the latest.

I just tried them. Nothing like that here. I'd suggest, at a reasonable volume level, try all the switches, sliders and knobs.

Hit 'edit', and look for any unusually high db settings in the screens and pages.

If you don't find anything that seems abnormal, send Kurzweil a report and if you can, any pertinent info.

They need feedback.

One minor thing I don't like, but have gotten used to - I keep all my stuff on power strips with the units turned on and the strips switched off,

so that I just have to hit the power strip switch to save wear and tear on the unit switches.

The PC4 won't turn on with the power strip switch - you have to physically press in the switch on the keyboard.

It's a hardware thing, so there's probably not much to be done about it.

My issue with the pad-buttons is that they are not always illuminated when you need them... and when they're not illuminated, it's nearly impossible to read what they are.

just got my PC4 and trying to setup multis that I had used with my PC1x for gigging .. wanted a simple 4 zone multi of 4 sounds that I could solo, mute etc when needed .. what a night mare .. sometimes the button is blue, sometimes purple, sometimes not at all, sometimes red ... it was so simple to solo, mute, layer etc on the PC1x ... what am I missing ????

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

just got my PC4 and trying to setup multis that I had used with my PC1x for gigging .. wanted a simple 4 zone multi of 4 sounds that I could solo, mute etc when needed .. what a night mare .. sometimes the button is blue, sometimes purple, sometimes not at all, sometimes red ... it was so simple to solo, mute, layer etc on the PC1x ... what am I missing ????

A fully working OS perhaps ...

It needed a long time for PC3 too.

Advise: Buy late !

I follow these threads because I still use my (up to now,- and since about 9 years,- reliable working) PC3 and wait for a 61-synth key action PC4.

I guess, until it comes, bugs will be sorted out,- or the K4K flagship is in the pipeline already.

A.C.

Try this:

Hit "Multi'. Select #2047 - 'Clear Multi'. Hit 'Edit'.

On the left side, program 1 should be 'active' and the other 3 'muted'.

Set all 4 to active - the buttons should turn purple.

Select your sounds, set volumes and so on.

Now press 'Controls'. Hit 'enter' and one of the switch buttons at the same time.

If they're not set this way, set all switches with these settings (one at a time):

Switch - (1, 2, 3, or 4 - one at a time)

Mode = Midi CC

Type = Toggled

Destination = Mute Zone (149)

On Value = 0

Off Value = 127

Entry State = On

Exit State = None

What you end up with, is the buttons are purple when the zone is active, and if you push a button to mute a zone, the button is unlit.

Probably save it as a template with a new name and number. It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty quick to do.

If you're proficient with the keypad, that can help, and once it's done, you'll have a template to work from.

'Solo' zone is kind of funky right now. I think it's more for when you're setting things up than when playing. Maybe they'll change it if they get some input.

You have to be in "Edit", then hit the 'More' button (right or left) until you see one of the 'soft' buttons labeled "Solo Zone".

You also have to select the zone on the "Overview" page. Then when you hit the solo button that zone will be soloed.

Much quicker just to mute whatever zones you don't want to hear.

OK, now maybe a bug??

I just tried them. Nothing like that here. I'd suggest, at a reasonable volume level, try all the switches, sliders and knobs.

Hit 'edit', and look for any unusually high db settings in the screens and pages.

If you don't find anything that seems abnormal, send Kurzweil a report and if you can, any pertinent info.

They need feedback.

One minor thing I don't like, but have gotten used to - I keep all my stuff on power strips with the units turned on and the strips switched off,

so that I just have to hit the power strip switch to save wear and tear on the unit switches.

The PC4 won't turn on with the power strip switch - you have to physically press in the switch on the keyboard.

It's a hardware thing, so there's probably not much to be done about it.

Thanks for that. OK must be something at my end. I'll investigate further!

Felis, you rock!

Kurzweil rocks. I used to rock. Now sometimes I just feel like I am a rock. :laugh:

Kurzweil can still be a bit confusing after all this time.

Better documentation, instructions and tutorials could help, but those may come with time.

Some of their older stuff has that kind of material in spades.

I called those patches up on mine & they're working fine ! You updated to ver.1.08 ?

yep sure did. Look, it's probs just a glitch at my end, you're the third with no issue (DW let me know via email) . I'll investigate further. Thanks though :)

Try this:

Hit "Multi'. Select #2047 - 'Clear Multi'. Hit 'Edit'.

On the left side, program 1 should be 'active' and the other 3 'muted'.

Set all 4 to active - the buttons should turn purple.

Select your sounds, set volumes and so on.

Now press 'Controls'. Hit 'enter' and one of the switch buttons at the same time.

If they're not set this way, set all switches with these settings (one at a time):

Switch - (1, 2, 3, or 4 - one at a time)

Mode = Midi CC

Type = Toggled

Destination = Mute Zone (149)

On Value = 0

Off Value = 127

Entry State = On

Exit State = None

What you end up with, is the buttons are purple when the zone is active, and if you push a button to mute a zone, the button is unlit.

Probably save it as a template with a new name and number. It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty quick to do.

If you're proficient with the keypad, that can help, and once it's done, you'll have a template to work from.

'Solo' zone is kind of funky right now. I think it's more for when you're setting things up than when playing. Maybe they'll change it if they get some input.

You have to be in "Edit", then hit the 'More' button (right or left) until you see one of the 'soft' buttons labeled "Solo Zone".

You also have to select the zone on the "Overview" page. Then when you hit the solo button that zone will be soloed.

Much quicker just to mute whatever zones you don't want to hear.

Thanks - that is exactly what I did :) ... kind of don't like the "no light" thing .. and they do light (purple) when engaged .. guess I am just still used to the Pc1x , green, yellow , red scenario .... working with 4 zones and even with the setup above, not sure why some upper zones are lit and some not LOL .....speaking of colors ... why do the switch buttons vary from blue, pruple, red, etc .. and what does it mean (can't find any documentation on that even in the 300+ page manual I down loaded) .. thanks again !!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Hope you get it solved, miden!

Yep, got it sorted. Don't know how though haha! I just re-booted yesterday afternoon, and it was all good again :)

Trying ti find info about usage of the Ribbon Controller, but I cannot find any user reviews/opinions online...does anyone here use one and is it a useful addition?

Ribbon controller fan here (K2600, PC3). I love 'em. I've fastened them to two PC361s with industrial grade double-sticky tape, so they're now pretty much permanent parts of the instruments.

Kurzweil has done some cool things with them.

• In addition to pitch bends, you can control other modulators with them;
  • You can split one into three separate zones to control three separate things if you want;
  • There's a magical setting called "shift key" that even lets you activate the note simply by touching the ribbon. Van Halen Hammer-ons? Yup.

By the way, I have mine fastened near the low end of the keyboard, to make them more useful as a left-hand controller. YMMV.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Excellent thanks Tom. It is rather larger than I expected Ok I might go for one (they're $180 down here, it's why I was checking on usability first haha!)

The ribbon is great, even with the extra PC4 controls.

Unless I'm doing something wrong though, with the PC4, it's only one zone (cc21) in program mode.

If you go into Multi mode, you can set it to have 3 zones.

With the K2600 I had, you could use 3 zones in program mode.

It's possible I'm missing something. If not, I'd like to see that issue addressed in an update.

Trying ti find info about usage of the Ribbon Controller, but I cannot find any user reviews/opinions online...does anyone here use one and is it a useful addition?

I have the ribbon for my PC3. For now I just use it for pitch stuff but there's a lot of flexibility. I basically bought it so that I wouldn't have to hunt for one later on after they're discontinued, as opposed to having an immediate need for one. I do think they made the cable way too long and not very flexible.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

....I basically bought it so that I wouldn't have to hunt for one later on after they're discontinued, as opposed to having an immediate need for one......

With the PC4 having the ribbon input, I doubt if they'll be discontinued anytime soon.

....Thanks - that is exactly what I did :) ... kind of don't like the "no light" thing .. and they do light (purple) when engaged .. guess I am just still used to the Pc1x , green, yellow , red scenario .... working with 4 zones and even with the setup above, not sure why some upper zones are lit and some not LOL .....speaking of colors ... why do the switch buttons vary from blue, pruple, red, etc .. and what does it mean (can't find any documentation on that even in the 300+ page manual I down loaded) .. thanks again !!

Was just playing around with it a bit, and if you follow the above procedure for the first 4 switches, but change the 'destination' to 162 - solo,

instead of 149 - mute, then you'll have solo buttons for your first four zones instead of mutes.

I think the only way to have both mute and solo is to assign four more different controllers.

I still only see blue, purple, and unlit for the colors though. Haven't seen red yet (knock on wood). :laugh:

Edit: OK - I take it back.

If you are in 'edit'/'multi' on the overview page with 'active' zones, if you hit 'program', the zone you have highlighted will be soloed

and you will see that zone's button turn red. I'm still getting to know this thing. The documentation leaves a bit to be desired.

Can someone please explain to me where the hell the lists of program and bank change data is? I cannot find any ANYWHERE....how am I supposed to select multis and programs from my iPad? I use an app that can send sysex and standard MIDI speak, but I need some basic, yep BASIC, information first - every other maker provides these lists...

I would think you'd want to select programs and multis from the 'favorites' groupings you put them in,

rather than having your PC4 tethered to superfluous external hardware.

But that's probably just me. I'd rather edit from the keyboard too, instead of using an editing program on a computer.

That said though - yes, I agree that more documentation would be welcome.

Yep I'll be doing that too Felis, but for my solo work I have no time (usually) between songs to go button pushing on stage. It's why I automate. And the iPad is a part of the gear setup anyway so why not use the tool if it's there ;) FWIW I have figured it out, with the help of MIDI-Ox haha! I am just going to try and research and get on to Kurz (not that they''ll help I daresay) and try and source sysex code for changing modes.

So In now have the method to insert the midi data into UnrealBook.

• 3 weeks later...