Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-2

The one thing I didn't know as that you have access to an online editor where you have access to hundreds of sounds and can share sounds. The more I read about the SV-2 it seems to be really user friendly.

Sounds like they took a page out from NORD with online editor and sharing patches. Built in speakers on 73 and 88 also.

Just thought I'd share some info if you didn't already know this.

Have a wonderful day!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an email from Korg about an hour ago and just read the info. Seems to me like NORD EDITOR where you can download new sounds and save them.

Hope this link works https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/839/#software

Maybe on the Korg website you could get the same info.

Seems like a really interesting stage piano for sure.

Sorry but this the only link I could find from the email from Korg.

I got an email from Korg about an hour ago and just read the info. Seems to me like NORD EDITOR where you can download new sounds and save them.

Interesting. I would think if they had a sound library like Nord they'd be advertising the heck out of it. I had the SV2 for a few days but I returned it in favor of the Grandstage. I didn't mess with the editor at all

Compared to Roland RD-88

Great comparison but is it really fair?

Here in the UK:-

Roland RD88 is £973

Korg SV2 is £1750

So quite a large difference in price & again here in the UK where the RD2000 is sold at £1560 is the Korg priced right against its competition?

Col

I definitely prefer the SV-2 to the RD-88, especially for AP and EP and will probably buy one in the coming months to replace my SV-1.

I agree, though, that the RD-88 offers very good value for money, and that the SV-2 is priced a tad high...

But hey, price is only one parameter of the buying decision ;-)

And I think the SV-2 looks cooler than the RD-88, when one does not absolutely need a flat keyboard ;-)

fron brother Piano Man Chuck

Crikey Chuck's playing has improved - the Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy was tres evocative ;-)

Who need that conectivity shit when you've got such great sounds.

Korg SV2 ordered :-)

Korg SV2 ordered :-)

Only joking Fleer!

Will likely end up with Yammy CP88 but first will lay ears/hands on the RD.

The On-line Parameters (in-depth editing) section of the manual dose not appear to be up on the Roland site so still don't know how

deep the piano editing will be.

Still waiting patiently (by which I mean "with a boiling, seething absence of patience") for someone with access to this board to definitively say either "The EPs on the SV2 are identical to the EPs on the SV1," or "The EPs on the SV2 are an upgrade to the EPs on the SV1 and here's why," or "The EPs on the SV2 are a step back from the EPs on the SV1 and here's why." No pressure, just sayin'...

Also, I just played a CP88 in a store, and while the APs were lovely as expected, the EPs left me utterly, deal-breakingly cold, just like the predecessors in the CP line.

Still waiting patiently (by which I mean "with a boiling, seething absence of patience") for someone with access to this board to definitively say either "The EPs on the SV2 are identical to the EPs on the SV1," or "The EPs on the SV2 are an upgrade to the EPs on the SV1 and here's why," or "The EPs on the SV2 are a step back from the EPs on the SV1 and here's why." No pressure, just sayin'...

No need to hear what others think, since everyone is different. You can decide which ones sound 'the same' to you, or 'better' or 'different'. I've done a video for each (the SV-1 and the SV-2) where all voices of each are demo'd. The descriptions in each video have the voices indexed and clickable to jump directly to the voices you want to hear. Check them out for yourself and let us know what you think:

SV-1:

SV-2:

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Also, I just played a CP88 in a store, and while the APs were lovely as expected, the EPs left me utterly, deal-breakingly cold, just like the predecessors in the CP line.

I would say that SV2's EP's are the same or at least very similar to the SV1. Same nice tone but audible switching between velocity layers. Action is also the same.

I would say that SV2's EP's are the same or at least very similar to the SV1. Same nice tone but audible switching between velocity layers. Action is also the same.

No, there a new Rhodes samples in the SV-2. The SV-1 had no Mark 2 and no Mark 5 samples and no different models as stage or suitcase like the SV-2 has. These new samples has got much better/longer sustain too. I tried the new one in the store this week and i liked it!

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Yes, that's right, thanks for your report. Because of the much higher PCM memory on the SV-2, I think they could load different EP samples which a much better quality and also as you mentioned, longer sustain, which is important in my opinion because this is one of the feature which makes the SV-1 a bit outdated in comparison to other recent hardware or software boards, though the tone is still good. One can clearly hear the different tones of the SV-2 EP samples in the various demos available online. For example, I find the Mark V sample very nice and I see myself clearly using it instead of my regular SV-1 EP 1 amped sound. I think the same should be also true for the acoustic pianos. Of course, it is always better to try the board to make one's own opinion. And as a bonus, you still have the possibility to load the SV-1 sounds in the SV-2, if you are really hooked to one of the sound and you want to keep it avaible, and I find this possibility cool!!

The action on the CP88's acoustic pianos and action blows the Korg away. I played the SV2 last night. It's not my thing but it's a cool instrument for what it is. I don't have a hard on for EP's because in the grand scheme of things organ sound accuracy is what I worry about.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The action on the CP88's acoustic pianos and action blows the Korg away. I played the SV2 last night. It's not my thing but it's a cool instrument for what it is. I don't have a hard on for EP's because in the grand scheme of things organ sound accuracy is what I worry about.
Without a doubt, the action for piano playing is the major selling point on the Yamaha slab.

I had the opportunity to A/B the CP88 with the Crumar Seven on Rhodes and Wurly. One would be hard pressed to recognize one from the other in a blind test.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Are they new sounds or just settings adjusted on the sounds that are already in there and called something new?

Or are they completely new downloadable samples like Nord has?

There's been no indication of rewritable expansion memory, so I suspect that (like the SV1), additional sounds will be based on samples that are already resident. That doesn't mean they can't be substantially different from the stock sound set. I believe that SV1 included resident samples that had not actually been used in any of the original factory presets, but could be used by some of the expansion pack programs. Kurzweil has done that kind of thing too, where models have been able to make use of downloadable sounds that used resident samples that had not been used in any of that board's factory presets. (SP4 and Artis series, for example.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)