Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member
Gold Member
"Not Like This" by Al Jarreau. Gosh that's a sad song.

I was brought to tears the very first time I heard "Neither One Of Us" by Gladys Knight. They way she sings it just breaks your heart.

"Ruby's Arms" by Tom Waits.

A few Broadway musicals hit me like that as well.

Mike from Central NJ
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Toys: More gear than I could afford when I had talent and did this for a living
Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Bill Frisell – Throughout. The version with Petra Haden was played at a friend's funeral (a drummer who passed away not long after having studied with Bill). The live trio version starts with him saying to a festival audience, "I can't see you, but I can hear you and I can feel you." I recorded an arrangement on my first album but I can't listen to or play this tune without breaking down in tears.

Tom Waits – No One Knows I'm Gone

I saw Afro-Brazilian vocalist Luedji Luna live in December, and it wasn't any single particular song that got to me. Her presence and her energy is so powerful, and the fact that I am in the privileged position of having mutual friends with her is beyond anything I could have imagined when I started diving into Brazilian music 15 years ago.

My Site
Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Twenty years ago I went through a bad marriage/divorce and songs like these have more meaning. And I'm not normally an emotional person.

This song is ALWAYS is a tear jerker, but this version left me bawling. Even the chord changes hurt.

The first time I heard this song, I had to pull off the road and stop. It was a hell of a release from my anguish over my divorce. It still jerks a tear.

P
P

This one hits too close to home. I don't like songs that work too hard to wrangle a feeling out of you. This one is just straight up truth.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The soundtrack to "Les Miserables". Even more so when my son sings it (he was Jean Valjean last year in a school production, and really nailed it.) Some of it is the story, and some of it is the music, some of it is pride in him. But it's a strong one for me. (Ok, maybe "Master of the House" only brings me to tears of laughter.)

This song by Fish (not Phish), about dealing with a parent and dementia. Oof. Having dealt with that with my mom, it hits home.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard