06/25/19 01:26 AM
06/25/19 01:26 AM
Tejas
N
Nowarezman Offline
Nowarezman  Offline
N

Tejas
Cakewalk by Bandlab is giving me fits. Crashes a couple of times a week. And another problem - at times, working on a project with multiple VST instruments going, all the VST instruments will become unresponsive. It's like they all just freeze up - if I bring up the instrument interface, even the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the interface will not work - the virtual keys won't even virtually press. The only way to salvage the tracks with VST instruments is to launch another instance of each instrument in a new track and copy/paste the MIDI from the frozen instance into the new one. Very tedious....I can easily have 7-10 VST instruments on any given project.

I've seen others bring this up in the user forum, with no solutions on offer.

So....I think I'll pick up Live 10 for $99. My son uses it, so we can compare notes and help each other. I'll probably compose and track on Live, then port the audio files only back over to Cakewalk for mixing. The effects VSTs have no issues on Cakewalk - just the instruments. And I'm totally addicted to Cakewalk's Pro Channel for one thing. And just used to it since I've been using Cakewalk since before it even did audio.

Maybe I'll eventually leave Cakewalk for something like Reaper. But one new DAW at a time....

nat

Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Nowarezman] #2995725
06/25/19 03:03 AM
06/25/19 03:03 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anderton  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Nowarezman
So....I think I'll pick up Live 10 for $99. My son uses it, so we can compare notes and help each other. I'll probably compose and track on Live, then port the audio files only back over to Cakewalk for mixing. The effects VSTs have no issues on Cakewalk - just the instruments. And I'm totally addicted to Cakewalk's Pro Channel for one thing. And just used to it since I've been using Cakewalk since before it even did audio.

Why not just ReWire Live into Cakewalk? Then you don't have to port anything...create in Reason while you mix in Cakewalk smile

Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2995728
06/25/19 03:32 AM
06/25/19 03:32 AM
Tejas
N
Nowarezman Offline
Nowarezman  Offline
N

Tejas
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by Nowarezman

Why not just ReWire Live into Cakewalk? Then you don't have to port anything...create in Reason while you mix in Cakewalk smile

Thanks for the tip - ReWire/Reason is something I've never looked into.

nat

Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2995730
06/25/19 03:44 AM
06/25/19 03:44 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anderton  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

This wouldn't involve Reason, you'd just open Cakewalk first, then Live, and insert Live as a ReWire instrument within Cakewalk. It's really simple once you get past the relatively benign learning curve...it seems like it would HAVE to be more difficult than this, but it isn't smile

I wrote an article for Harmony Central about using ReWire, with Sonar serving as the example host. I think you'll find it helpful. Cakewalk has quite a good ReWire implementation, which is a good thing for your application.

Last edited by Anderton; 06/25/19 03:45 AM.
Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: RudyS] #2995788
06/25/19 03:03 PM
06/25/19 03:03 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
ggm1960 Offline
ggm1960  Offline

Cedar Rapids, IA
Originally Posted by RudyS

Iím surprised there are not many ableton users here. Never worked with it, but that would be the one if I would switch, I think.

I've always wanted to like Live but I've always seemed to run into a snag with it. Since I never did much with it I've stalled out at ver. 8 but I've had it going back a couple versions before that. There was a point when I had a little time while being keyboardist in the busy band I was in that I attempted to switch over to using Live from DP but I ran into a setup problem the details of which I don't recall. Time, as always, became tight again and I defaulted back to DP which does all I need and so much more. Later when I got the gig as keyboardist for a rock show with the symphony orchestra I needed some multi-sampling. Again I thought I'd give Live a shot but alas, to get the functionality I needed I would have had to upgrade my standard version. I already had Reason which would do what I needed so I just went with that!

Last edited by ggm1960; 06/25/19 03:04 PM.
Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2998506
07/14/19 07:31 AM
07/14/19 07:31 AM
Albion
BMD Offline
BMD  Offline

Albion
Studio One

I recorded this album with it a couple of years ago. Haven't touched it since. Until yesterday, that is. For some reason I got the urge to re-acquaint myself with it. To which end I recorded bass and drums for one of my songs, just to see if I could remember how to do it

I used the built-in instruments (Impact and Presence) and auditioned various bass sounds until I encountered something called Taurus. Waaw, it sounds amazing coupled with the heavy drums I chose! Like a cross between me and Tubeway Army

Might just take my laptop to a rehearsal room, stick it through the PA, and sing along to it. Might be worth buying (or renting) a guitar and amp, too idea

The past is gone. I'm sure it can take care of itself now.

Smoke
Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: BMD] #2998543
07/14/19 06:37 PM
07/14/19 06:37 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anderton  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by BMD
Studio One

I recorded this album with it a couple of years ago. Haven't touched it since. Until yesterday, that is. For some reason I got the urge to re-acquaint myself with it. To which end I recorded bass and drums for one of my songs, just to see if I could remember how to do it

I used the built-in instruments (Impact and Presence) and auditioned various bass sounds until I encountered something called Taurus. Waaw, it sounds amazing coupled with the heavy drums I chose! Like a cross between me and Tubeway Army

I'll have to give Taurus a try!

Might just take my laptop to a rehearsal room, stick it through the PA, and sing along to it. Might be worth buying (or renting) a guitar and amp, too idea

What? You don't have a guitar and amp?!?

Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2998563
07/14/19 08:38 PM
07/14/19 08:38 PM
Albion
BMD Offline
BMD  Offline

Albion
It's actually called 'Big Taurus'

I got rid of all my gear a while ago. The only thing I kept was my bass guitar. No idea why. I never use it. And my laptop. I don't consider that 'gear', as such

The past is gone. I'm sure it can take care of itself now.

Smoke
Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2998610
07/15/19 07:03 AM
07/15/19 07:03 AM
Chicago/NW Indiana
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
zeronyne  Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Chicago/NW Indiana
I went from Notator on the Atari 1040ST to Studio Vision to Digital Performer to Pro Tools.

Now I have Pro Tools for compatibility reasons only. My main DAWs are Reason and Live (why do people keep calling it Ableton?). I use Reason because of the tremendously elegant workflow (despite the skeuomorphic overkill) and sheer number of instruments...I even liked that it was a closed system. I use Live for composition when I'm writing in a non-linear fashion or, of course, when trying to be compatible with someone else using Live.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2998763
07/16/19 06:32 AM
07/16/19 06:32 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anderton  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

Do you ever ReWire Reason into Live so you can take advantage of those instruments?

Re: DAW Roll Call [Re: Anderton] #2998892
07/17/19 12:22 AM
07/17/19 12:22 AM
Corvallis, OR
New&Improv Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
New&Improv  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Corvallis, OR
I was originally an Opcode Vision (then Studio Vision) user from getting my first computer in 1989 until Opcode was shut down in 1999. Then I made the jump to Logic, and have been there since. I know Pro Tools well enough to run a session in it, since most of the studios I freelance at use it, but I'm really most comfortable working in Logic.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton