Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Partially correct. He said he's basically sitting right on top of it, that's why the feedback. There are a gazillions of vids on the CPS website using multiple vocals in Aspen's studio which is comparable to a mid sized restaurant. Zero feedback but the SSV3 is 3-5 feet away from the players.

Way back in S1 E1 I posted about my trip to the Amp Show in Van Nuys to check it out. This was before he had sold one unit I think. He had a 6 piece group on a decent sized stage with bass, keys, two guitars and 4 vocalists all going through a mixer into the SSV3 which was sitting on a 10" home theater sub that he said he bought at a yard sale. No feedback in a room about 20X40 feet or so with 40 people at one count. And pretty good volume too which is why I bought mine but I've never used it for vocals, only keys.

Speaking of volume I used it on Catalina Island for the 4th of July stuff. This is a classic rock band and pretty loud. I didn't need to go through the PA for the first two sets but we heated up for the third one so I did need a bit of FOH support. Still, that little amp really puts out and the guys were very impressed. The drummer even took a pic of it for a friend of his.

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• 2 months later...

I use the SKB case too. When it arrived, it definitely seemed flimsier than I expected--especially the retractable handle, which was sold as some kind of nuclear-grade space-age polymer reverse-engineered from a yet-to-be-discovered mineral mined by a time-traveling magician. It's not. If it could talk, it would sound like that guy in High Anxiety: "I got it....I got it...I got it....I ain't got it!"

It's going to break one day, probably during whichever gig has the longest, most annoying load-in path.

I would just like to point out that (sadly but inevitably) I was correct about this on both counts. The handle finally broke this weekend, right before heading down the stairs and making the long haul to stage at the back of the crowded downstairs club.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I use the SKB case too. When it arrived, it definitely seemed flimsier than I expected--especially the retractable handle, which was sold as some kind of nuclear-grade space-age polymer reverse-engineered from a yet-to-be-discovered mineral mined by a time-traveling magician. It's not. If it could talk, it would sound like that guy in High Anxiety: "I got it....I got it...I got it....I ain't got it!"

It's going to break one day, probably during whichever gig has the longest, most annoying load-in path.

I would just like to point out that (sadly but inevitably) I was correct about this on both counts. The handle finally broke this weekend, right before heading down the stairs and making the long haul to stage at the back of the crowded downstairs club.

this could be blessing in disguise. I never liked the amp anyway.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 3 months later...

Back to the deep well of this thread!

Every now and then I come across Craigslist deals on the SpaceStation v3, as well as the old Groove Tubes-branded Mk II model. I know there were some changes made in the speakers when the v3 came out. Is there anything I should be wary of if I were thinking about grabbing a used Mark II?

I'd be looking at it specifically for my solo and duo gigs, running stereo keys (mostly acoustic and electric piano) as well as vocals out of Mainstage. My little travel PA has seen better days, and it occurred to me that this might be an efficient replacement for the small bars, restaurants, and other low-volume settings we play in.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The V3 has almost nothing in common with the old Mark II. It's a completely new animal. I'm not going to go into the details, just go to the beginning of this thread and Aspen describes all of that, the history, the production, his deal with Emminence for a custom made woofer, tons of info. If you can get a good used V3, get it and worry about all that background later. You won't regret it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

What jazzmammal said - I have both, picked up a used Mark II for a very good price, to leave at practice, and as a backup for gigs.

It shares the same "wow, cool trippy 3D effect", but that's about it. Much more grainy/distorted sounding, not nearly as clear. Probably ok for organ (my main use), and/or EP, but acoustic piano sounds really bad.

If you can get it for $200 or less, go for it, if not, don't bother.

One other thing - I think Aspen sells upgrade kits on his site for the MKII - supposedly improves them quite a bit.

I'm tempted.

I am going to be a lazy turd and ask a question I know has been answered somewhere in this thread, but don't feel like fishing for: My SS3 has developed a pretty noticeable rattle when a richer signal (like a Wurly) hits it. I have tightened all screws under and around the grill. I know others have had this issue. What ended up solving it?

www.joshweinstein.com

Have you tried plugging an instrument cable into the sub out jack? Just to block the air.

My luck with the SSv3 has been hit or miss. Sometimes it sounds superb. Other times, I hear distortion or some other undesirable sound. It seems to change with the setting.

Hey MOI, in my case there was a small rattle or buzzing noise that came from the black plastic receptacle for the power cord -- I think there's a fuse cover or something that's part of the receptacle -- it's flush with it on the face, but it isn't completely tight. I solved it by putting a piece of electrical tape over that part of the receptacle, so that it couldn't move.

Who knows, maybe this is your issue... good luck!

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

MOI

If the above tricks dont work to fix your rattling, check to see if the tweeter is screwed tightly into the back of the main speaker (that is where its attached, amazingly enough).

I had the same symptoms you described, and Aspen told me to check that first. To get to it, you have to take the plate off, if I recall correctly.

I think mine must have rattles loose cause I am lazy and was leaving the SS3 in my car, and crappy Portland streets took care of the rest.

UPDATE: got it. Scratched the piss out of it with a screwdriver around the edges, but it did come loose. And yes, that driver was significantly loose and was clearly causing the rattle. Thanks KC, and also thanks to Aspen for responding almost immediately to someone who bought his amp from the very batch that was made, more than 4 years ago.

EDIT: In case it is of help to others, here are Aspen's instructions for this fix:

Sounds like a loose co ax tweeter, fairly common event because they do not really tighten this well sometimes in production.

The Fix; Just remove the 8 screws on the real panel and let the chassis hang out (no need to unplug anything). You will see the APT driver which is screwed into the rear of the 8" woofer. So give it a clockwise turn to right and give it a nice push to tighten. If there is any slack, even a 1/4 turn, it will rattle on the low notes. That should do it. Now see of the rattle goes away.

www.joshweinstein.com

UPDATE: got it. Scratched the piss out of it with a screwdriver around the edges, but it did come loose. And yes, that driver was significantly loose and was clearly causing the rattle. Thanks KC, and also thanks to Aspen for responding almost immediately to someone who bought his amp from the very batch that was made, more than 4 years ago.

EDIT: In case it is of help to others, here are Aspen's instructions for this fix:

Sounds like a loose co ax tweeter, fairly common event because they do not really tighten this well sometimes in production.

The Fix; Just remove the 8 screws on the real panel and let the chassis hang out (no need to unplug anything). You will see the APT driver which is screwed into the rear of the 8" woofer. So give it a clockwise turn to right and give it a nice push to tighten. If there is any slack, even a 1/4 turn, it will rattle on the low notes. That should do it. Now see of the rattle goes away.

Darn it all, this is crazy, but I was going to suggest Crazy Glue for the rattle.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• 3 weeks later...

My Spacestation fell out of favor with me due to the low note rattle. I thought maybe the speaker was blown, or bad gain structure with my little keyboard mixer.

I finally took off the back, reached in, and sure enough the driver was loose. I gave it at least two 1/4 turns to tighten it up.

Since the subject are on the front page again, any news about the XL?

I am not in the market, just curious.

Got some other for monitoring (2 x K8.2), but miss the good sound from my Hammond that the SS did well.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

• 1 month later...

I starting this SpaceStation thread back in June 2014. Nice to see it still occasionally fielding questions, getting reactions, etc.

I have recently gone in a new direction to assist with the low frequency sound output when using the v.3, and it's working out very well. Thought I'd share.

I purchased a Turbosound IP300. See at http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Turbosound/Loudspeaker-Systems/Portable/iP300/p/P0CCH

It's available at most music outlets for $399. It's only 26 lbs, so it's easy on my 70-year-old back. 600 watts, two channels, with surprisingly big low end.

What's neat is that you can run a stereo keyboard's left and right out-channels into the IP300's two channels first, and then cable them both over to the two v.3 inputs. OR, if you're short on set-up time (or lazy), you can run your keyboard to the v.3 first and simply connect it up to the IP300 via a cable from the v.3's sub out. There is slightly better stereo effect by running things the first way I describe, but only a very discerning ear can really tell.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

I'm back to thinking the SSV3 (+sub if needed, depending on type of gig) is the way to go.

Many people here praise the Motion Sound KP500-S, but as long as there is 0 distribution within the euro zone (and with Brexit around the corner) that's not even an option. Besides, economy and weight are also important. I'm thinking of gigs at small clubs, cafes, etc.

I've been using a Peavey Classic 50 and PPAs, and I think I'm selling the former soon. With the money I can get from it, I almost can get the SSV3.

Also, I'm planning on selling a Hammond X-5 that I have and getting a Crumar Mojo XT.

I starting this SpaceStation thread back in June 2014. Nice to see it still occasionally fielding questions, getting reactions, etc.

I have recently gone in a new direction to assist with the low frequency sound output when using the v.3, and it's working out very well. Thought I'd share.

I purchased a Turbosound IP300. See at http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Turbosound/Loudspeaker-Systems/Portable/iP300/p/P0CCH

It's available at most music outlets for $399. It's only 26 lbs, so it's easy on my 70-year-old back. 600 watts, two channels, with surprisingly big low end.

What's neat is that you can run a stereo keyboard's left and right out-channels into the IP300's two channels first, and then cable them both over to the two v.3 inputs. OR, if you're short on set-up time (or lazy), you can run your keyboard to the v.3 first and simply connect it up to the IP300 via a cable from the v.3's sub out. There is slightly better stereo effect by running things the first way I describe, but only a very discerning ear can really tell.

Wow, cool, didn't even know these existed. At this price point, weight and sound distribution, this little guy sounds like it'd be amazing. I'm guessing with 2 6.5" woofers that you get the equivalent of a 10" single woofer. And if you're a seated player, I imagine you wouldn't necessarily need a stand to get good coverage as a personal monitor.

And the mobile app is very cool- I've got the QSC 8.2, and while it's nice to have so many eq options, it's just not very practical, you've got to make your adjustment then get back out in front of the speaker, and so on, a slow motion hassle that's not nearly as good as being able to adjust parameters from in front of the speaker with your phone.

If it had just one more thing: reverb! The Bose S1 Pro, the little speaker, not only has reverb but also a lithium battery built-in. But, as a reviewer on the SW site said, while he liked the S1 Pro, when he needed it a bit louder he got it from the IP300.

I wonder how 2 IP300s would sound as a personal keyboard monitor, that'd be some sweet stereo without a huge footprint.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I imagine you wouldn't necessarily need a stand to get good coverage as a personal monitor.

I wonder how 2 IP300s would sound as a personal keyboard monitor, that'd be some sweet stereo without a huge footprint.

I've been thinking about this as well. One disappointment is that, while there are preset adjustments for mounting on a wall, mounting on a stand, or mounting on a stand in a corner, there is no setting to compensate for the boundary effect of standing it on the floor, so it will not sound it's best. The EQ is not very versatile, either.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Actually, there are a distributor, (still) in the Euro zone

https://www.motionsound.co.uk/#

Yeah, I know. But not for long.

And I should have to wait if I want to get the KP-500S. It costs twice what the SSV3 costs.

I'll have to wait anyway. After this summer, probably.

And things might change after Brexit in terms of logistics and distributors.

And to make my choice more difficult now I'm reading a few pages back WWW saying that the new lighter version doesn't sound good at all. I didn't even know about this lite version (but looks like it's the one I would get if I ordered it now).

And to make my choice more difficult now I'm reading a few pages back WWW saying that the new lighter version doesn't sound good at all. I didn't even know about this lite version (but looks like it's the one I would get if I ordered it now).

Some of us werent sold on the original SSv3. The idea of having to lug a second sub to fill in the low end of a one box solution is an oxymoron imo. Then again, many swear its the Bs knees.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.