Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2956115 - 11/02/18 02:36 PM Official MLB 2019 Thread
Geoff Grace Offline
Senior Trade Show Overseer
10k Club

Now that the 2018 MLB season is in the books, let's take a look ahead...

No shoulder surgery expected for Chris Sale

Clayton Kershaw agrees to 3-year, $93 million deal to stay with Dodgers

Indians will listen to trade offers on veteran players

And a look back...

Willie McCoveyís presence was one of a kind

I was lucky enough to watch Willie McCovey play in spring training games in Phoenix when I was a kid, and I was a fan. He was a giant in more ways than one and from all accounts, an admirable human being.

Best,

Geoff

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

KC Island
#2956116 - 11/02/18 02:36 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

And of course...

GO DODGER BLUE!!! thu

Best,

Geoff

#2956129 - 11/02/18 03:27 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Vladdy Jr. comin' in hot!!! rawk

#2956131 - 11/02/18 03:47 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... and Bo Bichette, Danny Jansen, Eric Pardinho, Nate Pearson, Cavan Biggio...

Even if he's a bust, someone ought to write "The Ballad Of Sean Reid-Foley."

The New Jays. Bring 'em on!

#2957000 - 11/08/18 06:00 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: drawback]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

#2957002 - 11/08/18 06:06 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
that offer was made on September 26th. It had been said all along that a 10 year, $300 million offer was the starting point. That offer was never going to be taken. All that being said, the Nationals won't be a better team without him but I believe he will sign somewhere else. The Nats have a really good outfield without him and have more pressing interests including starting pitching.

#2957005 - 11/08/18 06:32 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings

Anyone would be crazy to give him a long-term contract with his questionable knee health. Itís just too important for turning on a baseball, taking an extra base, cutting off a ball in the gap. I canít think of another body part that takes more punishment in baseball.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2957153 - 11/09/18 06:34 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Harper will be grossly overpaid relative to his talent. He's had a couple good years but overall he is far from the dominant force he was projected to be, even putting aside the considerable injury problems. And yet from a short term ticket sales standpoint, the executives for some big market teams will decide a big contract makes sense and they will be correct. So Harper will make 4 times as much as players who are 75% as good as him.

roccoromanucci.com

#2957157 - 11/09/18 08:08 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
So Harper will make 4 times as much as players who are 75% as good as him.

He puts people in the stands. Kids love him. Moms love him. This is what elevates his contract, and seperates him from superstar players such as Manny Machado. As good as Machado is, he does not draw fans just to see him. Bryce Harper does. So yes, it is a business decision seperate from a baseball decision as well.

#2977031 - 02/22/19 11:42 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

So, the Padres took the plunge and gave Manny Machado $300M for 10 years, with an opt-out clause for 2023. Good move or foolish? Based on history I say foolish. I think a player's motivation diminishes when he doesn't have to work for that next contract. Many of them put on weight, which leads to injuries. It's the rare player who completes the contract, nevermind excels during it. Alex Rodriguez is the only one, and he also dropped off precipitously. Albert Pujols was a bust. Mike Hampton was a complete disaster. The jury is still out on Miguel Cabrera, Max Scherzer, Giancarlo Stanton, Robinson Cano, Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw. Prince Fielder was a dog.

...and Bryce is still unsigned. Because he's a dumbass who turned down $300M from a contending team, in a city he likes, with a fan base that loves him. Greed.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2977032 - 02/22/19 11:43 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

My question: What coming to the plate music will Bobadohshe come up with for Manny?

#2977036 - 02/22/19 12:21 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
So, the Padres took the plunge and gave Manny Machado $300M for 10 years, with an opt-out clause for 2023. Good move or foolish?

Great move. He fills a critical hole at 3B for the Padres and with the #2 prospect in baseball Fernando Tatis Jr. slated to come up at Shortstop in 2 months and the #2 2nd base prospect in all of baseball Luis Urias at 2nd, we have a ridiculous defensive infield. And Machado hits 35 homeruns a year. And he's 26, so he's still developing.

Quote:
Based on history I say foolish. I think a player's motivation diminishes when he doesn't have to work for that next contract. Many of them put on weight, which leads to injuries. It's the rare player who completes the contract, nevermind excels during it.

This is how the game works these days. You pay for the best early years of the contract. The value sucks towards the end. He'll be 36 at the end of this contract. Not ancient.

Quote:
Alex Rodriguez is the only one, and he also dropped off precipitously.

So many of them do but they sure got a lot of incredible years out of him.

Quote:
Albert Pujols was a bust.

He was 32. Manny is 26!

Quote:
Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw.

Pitchers are a different animal in terms of shelf life and injuries. (Also, Kershaw has three Cy Youngs). A 3 year contract through 2021 given to a 30 year old pitcher is different.

Quote:
Prince Fielder was a dog.

Unlike Prince Fielder, Machado hits 37 home runs while being a 2x gold glove winning defender. He's way more athletic.

The Padres have the top ranked farm system in baseball. This year, many of those prospects will be breaking through to the major league level. They have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Even when adding Machado's $30 mil / year salary to the mix, the Padres are still well below league average payroll. This move was not only a good idea, it was a no brainer. Even if he busts, they still needed to take this chance.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2977037 - 02/22/19 12:22 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My question: What coming to the plate music will Bobadohshe come up with for Manny?

Ha - that's not my job, I don't play the walk up music! I look forward to punctuating his at bats with some charges though.

#2977039 - 02/22/19 12:27 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Get us some pitching and I will be completely on board...!

#2977042 - 02/22/19 12:38 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We do need pitching. This is not the year the team will be great, so when the Padres finish 3rd or 4th in the NL West I don't want to hear a bunch of I told you so's. The team should get pretty good in 2021. Maybe sooner ala the Astros. Or it could be a bust! But at least these owners are showing their commitment level.

#2977056 - 02/22/19 02:09 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Quote:
Albert Pujols was a bust.

Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe
He was 32.

It's pretty much common knowledge to those in STL and highly into the Cardinal scene there that Albert has always fudged on his age by about 1.5 to 2 years younger.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/6189...is-market-value

When the Angels acquired Albert, he was like a Mercedes with 300K miles on it. wink

Sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson. Used to watch him and Vada Pinson terrorize the Cardinals in the '60s growing up. A great man , both while playing and afterwards. RIP

I never saw Don Newcombe pitch as he preceded the Koufax / Drysdale era of the LA teams. But saw and read many interviews over the years. Another brave and great man who, along with Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson and others, paved the way for the integration of MLB. RIP Newk.

Not a Machadao fan. He's a dirty player, plus he's a hot dog.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2977063 - 02/22/19 04:05 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think Machado is a great move by the Padres. Look at his career stats, he's been incredibly consistent. Harper by contrast has had 2 good years and 3 mediocre ones. I don't think Machado will slow down. He wants to be in the hall of fame, and he's got a real shot at it.

The Pads are trying to do it by developing young players. To me that's much more interesting than just buying players, like the Giants have always done, or trying to make spare parts greater than the sum of their parts, like the A's.

roccoromanucci.com

#2977064 - 02/22/19 04:24 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson. Used to watch him and Vada Pinson terrorize the Cardinals in the '60s growing up. A great man , both while playing and afterwards. RIP

Frank Robinson was the greatest of all the players who ever played for the Baltimore Orioles. He was on the team for only 6 years. Baltimore went to the World Series 4 times during those years. Baltimore won the World Series twice out of those 4. RIP. Thanks for the memories.

#2977065 - 02/22/19 04:29 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...and Bryce is still unsigned. Because he's a dumbass who turned down $300M from a contending team, in a city he likes, with a fan base that loves him. Greed.

I usually agree with you but not here. You can be sure that when this offer was made his agent, Scott Boras, convinced him not to take it as he would surely get more money somewhere else. So far, that hasn't happened, and the offer he got from the Nats is off the table, they have moved on. That doesn't make him a dumb ass. He's a 26 year old young man taking the advice of his superstar agent.

#2977076 - 02/22/19 05:44 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I never saw Don Newcombe pitch as he preceded the Koufax / Drysdale era of the LA teams. But saw and read many interviews over the years. Another brave and great man who, along with Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson and others, paved the way for the integration of MLB. RIP Newk.

I, too, was sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson and Don Newcombe. Two heroes gone.

Best,

Geoff

#2977093 - 02/22/19 08:12 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nobody needs $300 million. Nobody needs $250M. So it's not irrational to say "above $XXXM, I'm going to make my decision based on other factors." If I was in Harper's shoes, I'd be angling for a Western Division club that springs in Arizona. The Giants are a perfect choice except he'd lose 10-12 homers a years into the right field flyball graveyard. That could cost him in legacy.

roccoromanucci.com

#2977115 - 02/23/19 06:17 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ha - that's not my job, I don't play the walk up music! I look forward to punctuating his at bats with some charges though.

You might want to learn ďDo The Hustle.Ē

#2977117 - 02/23/19 06:35 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: drawback]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: drawback

You might want to learn ďDo The Hustle.Ē

rimshot

#2977398 - 02/24/19 09:36 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

I usually agree with you but not here. You can be sure that when this offer was made his agent, Scott Boras, convinced him not to take it as he would surely get more money somewhere else. So far, that hasn't happened, and the offer he got from the Nats is off the table, they have moved on. That doesn't make him a dumb ass. He's a 26 year old young man taking the advice of his superstar agent.

Iíve got a question: why would Bryce Harper ever need Scott Boras? We all know the role of an agent - to sell you to people who donít know you; to convince a buyer that youíre good enough to hire. Harper has no need for this. Not only that, had he taken the $300M from the Nationals he could have hired a competent law firm (D.C. has a few) to examine his contract. If he paid them, say, $100,000 he wouldnít even notice it. NOW, if heís signed for $300M he has to pay Boras at least $30M, assuming Boras charges only 10%.

It just makes no sense.

#2977453 - 02/25/19 08:47 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Iíve got a question: why would Bryce Harper ever need Scott Boras?

Guessing here, Bryce stopped taking my calls. laugh
I would bet when he was much younger, possibly still a teenager, he signed a contract with his agent that is near impossible to get out of, and cost prohibitive if he broke it.
More that monetary greed, Bryce wants the notoriety of getting the largest contract in history. In this respect I guess you could call him greedy. We are supposed to find out later today according to what I am reading.

just read "by the end of the week". Jeez

Edited by davedoerfler (02/25/19 01:11 PM)
Edit Reason: update

#2977468 - 02/25/19 11:15 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Harper hit .249 last year, slugged .496, and had very poor defensive metrics. Those are not $30M+ qualifications. He's had 2 years that did merit top-of-the-sport play, but which Bryce will you be getting? Odds are about 50%. And his injury history suggests you will not be getting another Cal Ripken.

He will put fans in the seats, and so from that perspective it might be an understandable business decision to give him that money. Manny Machado will do the same for the Padres in part because of the latino population in California. An east coast team is more likely to bank on the next Great White Hope. Sorry to bring ethnic identity into it, but you can be sure the owners are thinking about this too.

roccoromanucci.com

#2977540 - 02/25/19 11:03 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

There has been talk that the Padres may also sign Harper. They have the money free. Crazy, huh?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-...oking-add-bryce

#2977586 - 02/26/19 08:34 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There has been talk that the Padres may also sign Harper. They have the money free. Crazy, huh?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-...oking-add-bryce

People close to the team seem to be saying they won't. Even though they 'have the money' it could potentially hamper our ability to get some quality pitching.

I am not sure how I'd feel if they did get him. He's a pretty incredible player. And yet it gives me flashbacks of 2015 when they tried to do too much in one offseason. But what do I know.

#2977591 - 02/26/19 08:49 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He (Harper) will put fans in the seats, and so from that perspective it might be an understandable business decision to give him that money.

This is undisputable. Any of the 32 teams signing him will have an attendance boost.

#2977905 - 02/28/19 04:15 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Harper to the Phillies. facepalm
My co worker Philly fans aren't so happy with the contract. 13 years with no opt out clause. Wonder how good Harper is going to be at 39. idk

#2977907 - 02/28/19 04:37 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
elsongs Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
My co worker Philly fans aren't so happy with the contract. 13 years with no opt out clause. Wonder how good Harper is going to be at 39. idk

13 years ago, Bryce Harper was...13 years old.

These long-term contracts never work out as planned. See Pujols, Albert.

Edited by elsongs (02/28/19 04:39 PM)

#2977911 - 02/28/19 04:50 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: elsongs]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
It would be nice to make $25 million every year for the next 13 years.

That might even support a career in jazz.

#2977913 - 02/28/19 04:58 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: timwat]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

No opt-out is truly wild. Sign the cheque. Amazing. Congrats to Harper and Boras.

#2977921 - 02/28/19 06:08 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

$300M for 10 years vs. $330M for 13 years? He was better off in D.C.

Plus, now he has to deal with the worst fans in MLB - fans that booed Mike Schmidt. MIKE SCHMIDT!!!

Facepalm indeed.

#2977923 - 02/28/19 06:09 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

And what a bad move by the Phillies. I predict a lot of time on the disabled list for Bryce Harper, with diminished output when heís healthy.

#2977984 - 03/01/19 07:18 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A long term contract like Harper's is based on the assumption that salary escalation will continue, meaning that in 13 years the best players in the game will be making, what, $40-45M? It's mind-boggling, but it makes sense in a relative way. Harper won't be worth what he is today when he's 39, but he also won't be paid as the best player in baseball.

I say this without knowing how the contract is structured. Payment probably is not the same every year.

I've loved the sport of baseball all my life. It's the only sport I played, it's the only professional sport I've attended. But along the way I've also developed what I would call a social conscience. I don't go to games anymore or pay for cable channels. I can't actively support an arrangement in which atheletes make hundreds of times more money than teachers and scientists.

But I can still post about it on a keyboard forum!

roccoromanucci.com

#2977990 - 03/01/19 07:43 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I agree. I passionately followed the Cardinals in the '60s growing up. One of my first remembrances of attending a game was in 1963 when my father took me to Stan Musial's last game at old Busch stadium.

Now, I really could give a sh*t. I think a large part of that started years ago when Albert bolted and went to the Angels. That was devastating. They would have erected a statue within a month of retirement, outside Busch, if he had stayed. Even if he had averaged .250 for the remainder of his career, that's how much he was loved there in STL. Now he's just another mercenary.

A neighbor has box seat season tickets and preferred parking 200 feet from the Dodger stadium entrance. In the past he was always calling me to go but after I kept passing on his invitation, he never asks anymore. I simply don't care enough anymore to spend a night down there when I could be practicing, or doing anything else that's productive.

We still get cable because that's all my wife watches and I watch the cable news. But I wish there was a way to drop all the sports channels because I would do it in a NY minute.

Basically these days, I root for the small market teams.....even over my Cardinals.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2977993 - 03/01/19 08:06 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: timwat]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: timwat
It would be nice to make $25 million every year for the next 13 years.

That might even support a career in jazz.

The running joke among musicians in town has always been -- so now that you won 200 mill in the lottery, what are you going to do the rest of your life ?

Play Jazz gigs till the money runs out...... rimshot

2005 NY Steinway D

#2978002 - 03/01/19 09:07 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Basically these days, I root for the small market teams.....even over my Cardinals.

We're small market down here, root for us.

Quote:
I simply don't care enough anymore to spend a night down there when I could be practicing, or doing anything else that's productive.

Fortunately I am in the somewhat unique position of being able to do both at the same time.

#2978012 - 03/01/19 10:33 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I simply don't care enough anymore to spend a night down there when I could be practicing, or doing anything else that's productive.

Fortunately I am in the somewhat unique position of being able to do both at the same time.

Ha! Bobadohshe for the win.

roccoromanucci.com

#2978016 - 03/01/19 10:48 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:

Ah, but I highly doubt that your "practicing on the gig" consists of any Debussy Etudes or looping tricky sections of Moment's Notice or Dolphin Dance. wink smile

2005 NY Steinway D

#2978018 - 03/01/19 10:54 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

There are mercenaries in hockey, but seemingly not quite on the same level as the Ball sports.

Not sure how many of you know who John Tavares is, but Long Island fans let him have it last night in his first game back since bolting to Toronto this summer. Burning jerseys, throwing snakes, dressing up as babies, chanting "We don't need you!", etc. And yes, the Islanders won the game 6-1 and are doing better this year without him than when he was on the roster.

#2978026 - 03/01/19 11:44 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

I agree. I think a large part of that started years ago when Albert bolted and went to the Angels. That was devastating. They would have erected a statue within a month of retirement, outside Busch, if he had stayed. Even if he had averaged .250 for the remainder of his career, that's how much he was loved there in STL. Now he's just another mercenary.

I remember the analysis done after he signed his Angels contract. It was determined that with the increase in California taxes over Missouri, and the general higher cost of living Albert was much better off financially in St. Louis.

Quote:
We still get cable because that's all my wife watches and I watch the cable news. But I wish there was a way to drop all the sports channels because I would do it in a NY minute

I dropped cable in favor of Sling Blue. I think itís $25 per month and has no ESPN, which adds around $8 per month to the cable/satellite bill. I donít miss ESPN one bit. Itís always about football, no matter the season. I get a few sports channels, FS1 and FS2, plus the Marlins and Rays games, but not my Braves. Itís tailored for regional sports so you might get Angel and Padre games, or Oakland or Giants. I would guess that the Dodgers wouldnít participate.

Another thing I like about Sling is no FoxNews. They have CNN, BBC, France24, and others. I buy the $5 extra package to get MSNBC and some others.

#2978035 - 03/01/19 12:14 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I agree. I think a large part of that started years ago when Albert bolted and went to the Angels. That was devastating. They would have erected a statue within a month of retirement, outside Busch, if he had stayed. Even if he had averaged .250 for the remainder of his career, that's how much he was loved there in STL. Now he's just another mercenary.

I remember the analysis done after he signed his Angels contract. It was determined that with the increase in California taxes over Missouri, and the general higher cost of living Albert was much better off financially in St. Louis.

I wouldn't doubt that in the least considering how high taxes are in Ca. , not to mention the obvious discrepancy in real estate.

I, like most, believe it was the ability to prolong his career with the DH ...although he vehemently denies that. And witness his stubbornness in wanting to play in the field everyday. So who knows about that. The other factor, and I posted this on Bobby's FB page with regard to Machado - these guys that spend time back East and the Midwest, then come out here and experience our glorious, temperate, non-humidity So/NoCal summers. That has to play into the thinking of -- man wouldn't it be nice to play 81 games in that climate ! And in Manny's case, being in the NL West, he has extra away games within the division with LA, SF and Arizona. No brutal humidity for a very large percentage of the year. Not to mention the bone chilling cold the first 5 weeks of the season in certain areas too.

Then again, it can be all about the dough and the ego. Don't kid yourself, these guys think of themselves as rock/movie/pop culture stars in that sense. Largely gone are the days of the Cal Ripkens, Henry Aarons, etc. etc.

I dropped cable in favor of Sling Blue.....
Another thing I like about Sling is no FoxNews.

Where do I sign ? !! love

Sorry, too low hanging fruit, I couldn't resist. Feel free to delete.

Seriously, I've never heard of that service, I'll look into it, thanks.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2978065 - 03/01/19 03:53 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:

Ah, but I highly doubt that your "practicing on the gig" consists of any Debussy Etudes or looping tricky sections of Moment's Notice or Dolphin Dance. wink smile

I have played Dolphin Dance at Petco. In fact I did it my very first season. Though I didn't loop and shed any part of it at the time. As far as Debussy goes --- not yet. Though I was actually practicing Dr Gradus Ad Parnassum this AM.

#2978104 - 03/01/19 07:44 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, Children's Corner. The first piece I worked on with Terry Trotter in'79. Dr. Gradus is a great study for five fingers and connecting right and left hand phrases.

All of the six pieces within that Suite are mini - Masterpieces.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2978118 - 03/01/19 09:59 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He (Harper) will put fans in the seats, and so from that perspective it might be an understandable business decision to give him that money.

This is undisputable. Any of the 32 teams signing him will have an attendance boost.

Wish I had put money on this, as I knew I was on to something.

Phillies sold 100,000 tickets in less than 24 hours after signing Bryce Harper

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/phillies-so...-195043717.html

#2978121 - 03/01/19 11:01 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I dropped cable in favor of Sling Blue.

I've got YouTube TV, myself. No PBS, unfortunately though, with the cord cutter options; but I guess that PBS.org will do in a pinch.

Best,

Geoff

#2978195 - 03/02/19 10:24 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, Children's Corner. The first piece I worked on with Terry Trotter in'79. Dr. Gradus is a great study for five fingers and connecting right and left hand phrases.

All of the six pieces within that Suite are mini - Masterpieces.

Agreed! The Snow Is Dancing -- to me is one of the easiest ways to explain impressionistic music. It sounds exactly like the title.

#2980749 - 03/19/19 09:59 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I guess the Angels heard Harper's recruiting threats.

#2980760 - 03/19/19 10:50 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New York
As a Mets fan, I am looking forward to watching the Philly fan base inevitably turn on Harper sometime in the next 4 years. He might have an MVP year before then, but that contract is going to turn into a huge albatross down the road and make Harper into a favorite punching bag.

#2980824 - 03/19/19 03:23 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: cedar]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
What, nobody's yet posted about Mike Trout landing a whopper of a contract? (see what I did there? wink )

Trout and Angels and $430 Million deal

#2980828 - 03/19/19 03:44 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Sven Golly]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
What, nobody's yet posted about Mike Trout landing a whopper of a contract? (see what I did there? wink )

I did, but I guess I was a little too cryptic. wink

#2980833 - 03/19/19 04:15 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE

I did, but I guess I was a little too cryptic. wink

Yeah, saw that but it didn't click as I was scanning the thread... sorry! wink

#2980883 - 03/19/19 09:21 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Sven Golly]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I didn't post about it because it's still not official, not yet finalized. Seems like it's going to happen, though. wink

#2980937 - 03/20/19 07:10 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Below the headlines shocker, Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives) You can barely get a backup infielder for that. Granted Gio might be beginning the downside of his career, but he's a quality starting pitcher. Who's ever heard of a "I wanna play for the Yankees" discount!

roccoromanucci.com

#2980943 - 03/20/19 07:25 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What I don't get about the Trout deal is why he wants to play his whole career for the Angels, a mediocre team that shows few signs of turning itself around much less winning a pennant, a team that plays in strictly-drive-through (except for Disneyland) Anaheim, a team with virtually no historical legacy, a team across the country from his NJ home. He could have set the professional contract record with any number of big market teams. Now, he's a future HOF'er who might never playin a world series. Perhaps he's driven in part by the old fashioned desire to wear one uniform for an entire career. If so, that's admirable. But everyone wants to see Mike Trout playing postseason baseball.

roccoromanucci.com

#2981064 - 03/21/19 08:26 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2981065 - 03/21/19 08:31 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives)

Gio has a career record of 127-97, not a whole heck of a lot better than 50-50. I watched him pitch for the Nationals the last 6 seasons. You never knew which Gio would show up on the mound. It's very easy for the opposing team to get in his head, and if they do, the game is lost.

#2981079 - 03/21/19 09:21 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives)

Gio has a career record of 127-97, not a whole heck of a lot better than 50-50. I watched him pitch for the Nationals the last 6 seasons. You never knew which Gio would show up on the mound. It's very easy for the opposing team to get in his head, and if they do, the game is lost.

A 56% winning percentage is usually considered pretty good. Consider that Jeff Samardzija is 69-92. The year after he lead the league in home runs allowed, the Giants signed him for $18M/yr. That's why $3M for Gio is suprising. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, as throwing money at over-the-hill veteran players is what the Giants do best.

roccoromanucci.com

#2981116 - 03/21/19 01:26 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One of the greatest of all time.

#2981118 - 03/21/19 01:31 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: drawback]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ichiroooooooo

So cool to see him play his final games in Japan.

#2984304 - 04/09/19 08:12 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2984418 - 04/09/19 09:19 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: drawback]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

This WAS in The Onion!

#2984498 - 04/10/19 09:21 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Chris Davis is making an average of $23M to be not just the worst player in baseball, but statistically speaking, the worst player in the history of the game. Maybe that's not a fair statement, because if he was a rookie making the $500K minimum and went 0 for 30, they'd send him down and he'd never set the record for futility. So maybe he's not the worst player, but he deserves the crown for worst well-paid player. The Red Sox are paying David Price $32M/yr, and just gave Chris Sale a long extension at $29M/yr, neither of them are right now pitching at even a league-average. Something about this is just makes me want to turn away. I don't blame the players -- they should take what they can get, every penny. It's the economics of the game.

roccoromanucci.com

#2984597 - 04/10/19 10:44 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Adan]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

The other Khris Davis already has 5 home runs for Oakland. After his past 3 seasons of 48, 43, and 42 dingers. What was Milwaukee thinking, trading this guy?

#2985259 - 04/15/19 11:49 AM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

Mood: HOPEFUL!

#2987370 - 04/29/19 03:09 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Vladdy Jr.

cheers evil

#2989593 - 05/14/19 04:04 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

The Cardinals come to Atlanta for their first series this year against the Braves. Seems like the Cards always have the Braveís number. I think itís been years since Atlanta has won the seasonís series against them. But things are starting to click, with Acuna, Jr. in the leadoff spot and Nick Markakis proving me correct that heís still got a lot of gas left in his tank. To whit:

Edit: The pic got cropped. Markakis has only 18 strikeouts in the same 144 at bats.

Edited by Synthaholic (05/14/19 04:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Picture crop

#2989751 - 05/15/19 03:27 PM Re: Official MLB 2019 Thread [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Online   sad
Platinum Member

Seems like the Cards always have the Braveís number.

And...the Cardinals beat the Braves 14-3 in game one. mad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner