Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mariah Carey fired!

I just heard it on the radio, a $28 million contract buyout offer from Virgin was accepted by ms Carey.... ...go figure [url=http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1276772]Full story here.[/url] /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so Mariah gets $28 million for not singing...reminds me of this scene from the Marx Brothers "Animal Crackers": Spaulding (Groucho): What do you fellas get an hour? Ravelli (Chico): For playing, we get-a ten dollars an hour. Spaulding: I see. What do you get for not playing? Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour. Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that. Ravelli: Now for rehearsing, we make special rate. That's-a fifteen dollars an hour...That's-a for rehearsing. Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing? Ravelli: You couldn't afford it. You see, if we don't rehearse, we a-don't play, and if we don't play (he snaps his finger) - that runs into money.

Wow, 28 million for doing nothing! Dang, you'd have to work on the average of 14 lifetimes to earn that kinda dough. I think if Mariah had a conscience she'd toss Virgin a new CD for 1 dollar.
In two days, it won't matter.

If they had kept her, they would have had to pay a $100,000,000.00 to not sell records, do bad movies, trip out on occasion and, act like a still on top Prima Donna. She got cancelled like a T.V. show where the actors price themselves out of the market. Virgin will do the same thing the networks do, develop some new acts and, run them for a few years. I think Virgin got the best of the deal. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

[quote]Originally posted by Dylan Walters: [b]Actually, I heard it was more along the lines of [url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,43736,00.html]49 million[/url] . Oh, the poor life of a pop star :p . -Dylan[/b][/quote] No, the payout was ONLY 28 million (your article also has that amount). $49 million is the total amount of money (including the final payout) she ever got from the EMI/Virgin $82 million deal. Poor girl. What's next? "Ex-popstar moves to housing project, Britney & Christina organises fund-raising tour"? /Mats

[quote]Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly Tone: [b]Virgin will do the same thing the networks do, develop some new acts and, run them for a few years.[/b][/quote] Yes, just that this Bimbo was not new talent. Virgin has a history of signing major acts that are already very established (Quite different from how it all started with Mike Oldfield and others). This is a label that started as a local record store some 30 years ago... Today that trademark is plastered all over the planet on all sorts of wares and services (softdrinks, hotels, railways, airlines, restaurants, shops etc.). Virgin Records is part of EMI but I believe that all other parts of the Virgin Group is still "independent". According to Virgin founder Richard Bransons autobiography, their business tactic is to pay very substantial amounts upfront for contracts that run for many many years but all albums they release under that contract will be Virgins property forever - they also always try to purchase the artists back catalogue in a similar fashion. To me it sounds like selling your soul to the devil, ultimately they will own all your work - the artist becomes very un-independent. I suppose that mr. Bransons new record company, V2, is operating in a similar fashion. /Mats

Actually Mariah got a SWEETHEART DEAL. I can't believe that Virgin payed 28 million $ just to save on recording 4 more CDs. I'm sure that many of us here could produce 4 CDs for way less than 28$ million ! You can even hire top producers to produce 4 CDs for way less. What I think, is that her contract must have also guaranteed PROMOTION. They couldn't just produce 4 CDs and hand them to her and say "Here's your 4 CDs. GOODBYE" How many of us would like to be BOUGHT OFF for even a fraction of that amount? What could you do with all of that ARTISTIC FREEDOM ....and cash? Dan http://musicinit.com/musician.html

Mariah and Marty Shottenheimer (redskins ex-coach) must have the same agent or lawyers... hahahahh Watch her career jump back after her superbowl performance.... I'd love to see that... I don't think they lost money on her.... I think they just didn't make enough like they planned..

[quote]Originally posted by cerumen: [b]Mariah and Marty Shottenheimer (redskins ex-coach) must have the same agent or lawyers... hahahahh Watch her career jump back after her superbowl performance.... I'd love to see that... I don't think they lost money on her.... I think they just didn't make enough like they planned..[/b][/quote] You stole my thunder!! They said that Spurrier is the highest paid NFL coach, ...forgive me... Didn't Marty just make 10 million for one season (as compared to the 5 mil a year for Spurrier).

... so did I. I lost today my job. Anyone interested in a Bilingual industrial Engineer with 6 years of expertise in Materials and Purchasing management, moderator of a Spanish forum, contributing editor for the best magazines of UEM -just starting on it-, Keyboardist, arranger and a so-so singer? Able to relocation :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Mariah's contract was for $20 million per cd PLUS $6 million per cd in promotion. What did her last album sell? Like 2 million copies? Where her cd prior to that sold 20 million? EMI saved $76 million! Diva's arent the big "IN" thing right now. Teeny boppers are and she's no spring chicken. They were smart to cut their losses. Especially when she went through all that nervous breakdown stuff. Who knows what would happen next!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

This is to formally announce that Gus Lozada is available to not record for Virgin Records. Mr. Lozada wishes to make it known that he is willing to accept a substantially smaller sum than was recently paid to Mariah Carey for the same service. "Given the current business climate,I feel it is incumbent upon me to take no more than $3 million to not add to Virgin's recording and promotional budgets. I believe it is the only decent thing to do." An anonymous source at the label said, " I've never actually heard him,but considering what we've just been through,it's quite an attractive offer. Actually,we're pretty excited about it." Well,why not.......it [i]could[/i] happen. :D :D :D Good luck Gus. later, Mike [ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: coolhouse ]

Thank you guys !! So funny I was laughing about the "poor Mariah" and some hours later I found myself unemployed... and withOUT the 28 millions... :( * ´rold, I'm confident I will make it, thanks ! * David R, I'm using it. At least i have friend here whose support words and jokes help me to keep my mind going sane. * Coolhouse, how did you get that press note [i]in advance[/i] to is official release? :eek: The sum is wrong... I'd accept even one million. ;) * Cereal: I'm a mexican citizen. I'd get a work VISA if a company is hiring me in the US. It could work. Thank you, amigo.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

MC dropped? I apologise for my behaviour on the christian's thread - THERE IS A GOD! ;) Gus, you have my sympathies - hang in there :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

"I think Virgin Records was stupid to let her go. Mariah has way too much talent. She's a great singer AND songwriter. I think that she is just in a slump. She'll be around for a long time." This was tongue-in-cheek, I hope? Yes, about a 5 year slump so far...with many more to go. Have you actually LISTENED to her "songwriting" stuff? She was very fashionable 10 years ago. She's a fine example of how to screw the Label president to get to the top. Screw 'em - marry 'em, divorce 'em. Does she really have to worry about getting another label deal with 28 Million in the bank? Is Whitney next? Now THERE's someone on a LONG downhill slide...
Larry W.

What's absurd is that she may not be able to write music, or act (I dunno, I'm guessing "not"), she definitely can sing her T&A off. I would think a record label would think of some alternate different/fresh angle for her to try, different writers/arrangers, get her to participate in an actual group, SOMETHING useful.... Oh, wait, sorry, that takes INTELLIGENCE. Yeah, it was smart to let her go. The thing is, like I said she can sing. I would bet a large sum of money that before she dies she'll have at least 2 top-10 ballads, provided she finds a decent writer. Probably some sappy soundtrack as well. *Because* she actually can sing really great, her potential extends beyond the average pop star. She could probably pull off the diva routine well beyond what Madonna's going to be able to do because of that. I don't know if that would add up to 28 million, but I don't know the details of her contract either. I'd still love to hear her to a *real* gospel recording, or something bluesy. Not the slick modern R&B style, but pseudo-hard core. I think she's capable of it, but her handlers (is that a job?) probably haven't thought of trying that angle or are scared to do so. Heck, for that matter she could go sideways into the new country thing. Oh well.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Did anybody hear MC on the WTC disaster fundrasier. Her voice sounded totally shot, and it sounded like she was singer "Hero" a step down from where she would normally. I wonder if THAT is one of the reasons why she was let go. It will be interesting to see if she is better by the Super Bowl.

Archived