Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New vid from Crumar

Al Coda

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it time to start the nonsense yet? As in "Guido, why not an extra voices button for loading a custom 200 preset version of . Keyperformer 2...."

Seriously I'm not trying to get him killed and left lying by the highway painted red.....with an ARX expansion card nearby

in a ditch......

>> Key Performer 2 is now bi-timbral, the interface has been split in two parts: Part 1 is dedicated to the real-time synthesis instruments, and Part 2 is dedicated to the sampled instruments. Everything has been conceived to work with two parts that can be layered one on top of the other, or can be played in split mode on one keyboard, or from two separate keyboards sending different MIDI channels. Effects can now be assigned to either part or both. Plus, new effects, new instruments, new functions, etc <<

So, as I understand it, the Mojo uses the same engine as the KeyB mk III - is that right? If so, what are the advantages of buying the more expensive KeyB ?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

So, as I understand it, the Mojo uses the same engine as the KeyB mk III - is that right? If so, what are the advantages of buying the more expensive KeyB ?

No !

Mojo runs on a small PC (like Kronos does) and uses VB3 mk II engine, developed for the new Hamichord.

We´ll see a upgrade for GSi VB3 VSTi too in future.

Numa and newer KeyB run on DSP using a different engine.

Expect KeyB mk III to be an excellent clone too,- but the price won´t be that low as the Mojo.

OTOH,- compared to Mojo, KeyB (mk III) comes closer to the Hammond design in regards of physical controls layout.

A.C.

ah am I getting my Italians mixed up?

No !

Mojo runs on a small PC (like Kronos does) and uses VB3 mk II engine, developed for the new Hamichord.

We´ll see a upgrade for GSi VB3 VSTi too in future.

Numa and newer KeyB run on DSP using a different engine.

Expect KeyB mk III to be an excellent clone too,- but the price won´t be that low as the Mojo.

OTOH,- compared to Mojo, KeyB (mk III) comes closer to the Hammond design in regards of physical controls layout.

A.C.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

My third major synth was a Bit One which I think was somehow Crumar, too. It's like Europe has just a few famous electronic music instrument manufacturers of some name, at the time I like the product because it was powerful and well enough sounding for the price, and the build quality was with big buttons and metal case. Maybe they're at it again

I think so Darren, ;)

From what I understand there are two different Italian companies here...

First, there is BG... they have the Mojo and the Hamichord (both use the Vb3 as their sound engine).

And, there is the KeyB, and from what I read the KeyBduo has the same engine as the Numa organ.

You asked why would anyone buy the bigger/heavier tools (like the KeyBduo) if they have a smaller keyboard.

Well...

I think they follow the same idea of the Sk1/2 the Xk1/3c and the XkSystem.

You have pretty much the same sound engine only packed in different hardware options.

There is an ultra portable double-manual option, there is the better looking single manual option, and there is the bigboy B3 look'alike option for those who need it to be just like the old original (controls where they used to be, full drawbars, reverse preset octave, etc.)

If you think about it, they all sell and are around because we all want different things.

That's right:

BG musical instruments - Hamichord and Mojo, runs VB3 under the hood

KeyB organs - runs a different organ engine that's based on the "old" Linux based Beatrix clonewheel engine. Then there's the Fatar/Studiologic Numa which also runs the same engine as KeyB.

On a side note - BG m.i. also owns the brand name "Pari" (clonk) that still produces actual tonewheel organs. I've never seen or even heard one, but I love the idea that a company still developes and build actual electro-mechanical instruments. Here's the full BG m.i. product line.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I asked Music Marketing, the NA distributor for Crumar about MOJO's pricing, availability, and cost, and this was their reply.

We are still in the process of finalizing pricing for the Crumar MOJO and an firm ETA for the MOJO in North America.

I can tell you that we expect the MOJO to ship to North American Dealers in the fall of 2011

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow! That sounds great! Love the VB3... Amazing V/C, overdrive, percussion and Leslie sim... Plus TWO sets of drawbars.

At the very last chord you can hear the sim go from stop to fast... pretty impressive...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Sounds amazing; OK, so how can you get this vb3 software to work with any of the clones we already own? I am NOT familiar with "laptop" playing, but if it is as simple as load in vb3 to a little computer, ipad or mac, and usb out to any rig as a controller ie, xk-1, ne3, why not do it? Anybody tried this before?

Sounds amazing; OK, so how can you get this vb3 software to work with any of the clones we already own? I am NOT familiar with "laptop" playing, but if it is as simple as load in vb3 to a little computer, ipad or mac, and usb out to any rig as a controller ie, xk-1, ne3, why not do it? Anybody tried this before?

I do this all the time. I used to use an XK-3 as a controller, now I use the Hamichord MC-3 (without the internal computer) to control VB3 on my laptop. I have played lots of gigs like this and love it! I also use an E-Mu XBoard 61 for other sounds.

There's another utility software piece out there to remap drawbar info if you need to do that.

http://www.midikarval.net/VB3Controller.html

I don't think it handles some older hardware that transmits all the drawbars on one CC but it might. Email the developer I know that question came up before for using something like the Hammond XM-1 controller and 90s era Hammonds.

an he has this for the Hammond XK

http://www.kvraudio.com/db/3508

The last live gig I played I used my Motif XS to control the VB3 on my Mac.. Sounded fantastic!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

They've posted pictures of a bunch of MOJOs being nearly complete at the factory, as well as some internal parts on their Facebook account.

Any European members going to try one out or even buy one?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wil definitely test the Mojo. I contacted the german distributor but they don't have the Mojo yet.

Funny that the Crumar/Hamichord distributor is in the same town

as the Hammond Germany Office/Showroom.

Maybe I can test the SK2 and the Mojo at the same day on my way to Langenau/Ulm and the decide which one to buy. It will be a hard decision I think.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Any European members going to try one out or even buy one?

If I´ll find one in a shop in my hometown near future, I´ll check it out for sure.

Purchase decision is another story.

I doubt I´d buy such an instrument online from the distributor.

Anyway, it´s interesting to have the same engine on the DAW and in the instrument in future and if the instrument is @home, it´s the ideal controller for the plugin.

A.C.

Sounds great!

They've also posted pictures of units being boxed up and ready to ship. Much like the opposite of the "unboxing" pics some post here. :D

I believe we found the new King of the Hill... If I were still performing live this would probably be my new ax.

What is so impressive is that the straight sound is so authentic and gritty. Plus when the Leslie sim kicks in its pretty damn inspiring. Just like the real deal.

I would love to hear its competitors offer such deep, well recorded demonstrations. Especially so many with the straight sound through V/C... then start up the Leslie while holding a chord (where the Mojo really shines).

This is the test... Anyone dare to match it?

I too am interested in seeing what Nord comes up with. I guess we will have to wait to the "XK3d" to see how Suzuki meets this new standard...

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the brains of the Mojo are the same as the brains of the Hamichord (VB3 ver.2). That being the case, if one wants further demos of how the Mojo sounds, one could listen to the demos of the Hamichord found on the same site as the Mojo, correct?

Also, are the keyboard actions and response times the same between the two?

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

AFAIK, yes to your first question, I dunno to your second.

(ZioGuido previously posted "the sound engine is "VB3 Hamichord Edition v.2.0", which is basically the version 2 of VB3 with a custom GUI that only runs on the Hamichord's OS")

For all we know, version 2 of VB3 is essentially the same as version 1 sound-wise. Ideally, we know VB3 1.4 is great, so v2 should be even better, right? ;)

Archived