Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2011 Reports

Geoff Grace

Even better if it cointains the CX-3 engine and the Kronos reference on the name means that it will have a retro look and not like a silver spaceship from the future. :D

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is Korg will introduce both the Kronos and an updated workstation that will not be the Kronos but something else (M4 or whatever). The Kronos will be an updated Radias with the wacky touches that make it a Korg as opposed to a Yamaha or Roland - in this case, a tube preamp and a Monotron (a single analog oscillator+filter section that can be mixed with the modeled sounds, or have signal be routable through the real analog filter).

My guess is Korg will introduce both the Kronos and an updated workstation that will not be the Kronos but something else (M4 or whatever).

I have it on good authority that the answer to that is "nope". :)

If you're into the Kaoss Pad, though, you might be happy. :)

My guess is Korg will introduce both the Kronos and an updated workstation that will not be the Kronos but something else (M4 or whatever).

Okay....love my KP3...loved the Kaoss pad built into the M3.

Hmmm....73 note weighted, SSD drive, Kaoss pad...this IS starting to sound interesting.

Okay....love my KP3...loved the Kaoss pad built into the M3.

Hmmm....73 note weighted, SSD drive, Kaoss pad...this IS starting to sound interesting.

Hmmm... not sure about that, I think the KP is a separate thing, not necessarily part of the Kronos... don't know for sure, though.

Even better if it cointains the CX-3 engine

I do hope the CX-3 engine re-emerges at some point, in something cheaper than an Oasys. And in something under 30 pounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Oh well, it was fun taking a shot.

I don't have a Kaoss Pad, but I do use the M3's touchscreen all the time.

By the time I've mastered my M3 skillz, Kronos 2 will already be out.

Yoinks!

Just saw something that indicates that Korg's new Kronos is a workstation with SSD hard drive, and comes in a 73-key weighted action format (same keybed as the SV1-73).

Okay, now I'm intrigued. ;)

Link?

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm going to a Korg launch tonight, presumably to see the Kronos. I don't have a clue about it, but I'll post here and on the keyboard site the second they lift the info embargo.

In other juicy new-keyboard news, I've been given official permission to "leak" the Nord Stage 2 a day early. Combines the full functionality of the Wave and C2, among other things. CLONK BELOW!

http://keyboardmag.com/article/clavia-releases-nord/January-2011/126295

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

In other juicy new-keyboard news, I've been given official permission to "leak" the Nord Stage 2 a day early. Combines the full functionality of the Wave and C2, among other things.

Hallelujah! Well, I know what my next keyboard purchase is going to be. I'm glad I didn't buy that used Stage I almost picked up... this is really what I want. Is it known yet whether it will come in the same 3 sizes as before (73, 76, and 88 key)?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

http://guslozada.com/GusPics/davegus.JPG

Someone you know and yours truly, a few moments ago, when that someone you know was trying something you -still- don't know :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Oh boy the Stage 2 is my dream board. I had been toying with adding either a Wave or Electro 3 to use alongside my Electro 2, when in reality I really wanted to ditch my 2 and get both the Wave and E3. Now I can just get the Stage 2 and have an all in one package. I wonder what the price levels will be on this bad boy?

Link?

:cool:

Sorry, was obtained apocryphally through a series of sources... ;)

Not anything like this I hope...

http://www.futuremusic.com/news/images/rolandzeus.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm going to a Korg launch tonight, presumably to see the Kronos. I don't have a clue about it, but I'll post here and on the keyboard site the second they lift the info embargo.

In other juicy new-keyboard news, I've been given official permission to "leak" the Nord Stage 2 a day early. Combines the full functionality of the Wave and C2, among other things. CLONK BELOW!

http://keyboardmag.com/article/clavia-releases-nord/January-2011/126295

Eating my hat . . . salsa and beer would help.

Somewhere in Sweden someone is working on a Compact with my name on it. February shipping is probably just the 88 . . . would be my guess.

Very exciting! Will be worth the price, whatever it is.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wow... NS2 looks excellent. Nothing I'd personally trade out for, but this is great to see, if only to get other manufacturers to PAY ATTENTION.

Meanwhile, I'm a thrall to Korg's marketing and all the hints dropped here. The possibility of new workstation or performance board that actually boots in under 1 minute :)... huzzah.

Uh, not that I was consulted.

I make software noises.

Well, not exactly. One very obvious, glaring thing that shows it doesn't have the full functionality of the Wave is the lack of a Sustain control for the envelopes. I'm sure that's just scratching the surface of the difference between 'full functionality' and 'not really what you'd expect from a keyboard that the full R&D costs have already been recovered' ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Today I got a "sneak peek" at the new Roland Boards.

In addition to the RD 700NX, there will also be an RD 300 NX. It has the same action as the 700 and most of the important "Super Natural " piano sounds. Like the 300GX it is much lighter than the 700 series.

I am kind of frustrated because I recently purchased the 300 GX ....I wasn't able to spend much time with the 300NX....I slipped into the Roland area only because there was no security present, so I didn't get to really get my hands on it very much.

This should be fairly interesting news for those of you who have been following the development of the Super Natural piano series. I will have more info tomorrow, as I am sure others will.

Well, Nord listened to us. Sample playback ala Wave, C2 organ and sim, 4x the memory of the original Stage.

From what I can see, the new Stage synth section gains an arpeggiator and a multimode filter (yay) but at the expense of 3 stage envelopes. I notice there is now a dedicated LFO knob but the unison knob is replaced by a switch.

Also we get our 3 band EQ back with sweepable mids. C2 organ engine, but not sure if that includes the pipe organ stops. They are not screened on the panel.

Program Bank switches. Hooray!

I don't see the wurli speaker amp sim anymore which is a shame because that's what I always use for the wurli sound.

Moe

---

A little more on the RD 300NX

Lightweight and portable, the RD-300NX is perfect for both students and gigging musicians. At the heart of the RD-300NX is Roland's SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine, which provides a stellar grand piano playing experience with seamless variations in tone from pianissimo to fortissimo, notes that fade naturally without looping, and an organic sound and response.

Also onboard the RD-300NX are two types of SuperNATURAL technology-based electric piano sounds, giving players incredibly realistic emulations of classic EPs.

http://inc.440network.com/img/?q=2KOdW7CsYG%2B0h%2Bfb0JSarUh07Z%2Bon6VDo56drNnH4NDKkZimm6zjyJmk3ltnc0ii3oey3KVVb1tfcq2ZmaTo&ext=.jpg

Busch.

Infinite Response proudly announces that Apple has released the Mainstage 2 Device Interface for the VAX77 MIDI Keyboard Controller. Working together for the past year, Infinite Response and Apple have developed an operating mode called Host Control that allows Mainstage 2 to display all its presets on the VAX77 touchscreen, and map all of its controllers to the VAX 77 controllers, via a USB connection.

So what does this mean? Well, you dont have to have a computer sitting directly in front of you on stage anymore - you control Mainstage from the VAX77. The tight integration allows for random-access, touchscreen control of presets within a Mainstage concert, and latches the 9 MIDI CC sliders from the touchscreen to the main effects and EQ knobs on Mainstage 2.

Busch.

Wow... NS2 looks excellent. Nothing I'd personally trade out for

Of course not. Based on your sig, it needs one more major revision...

One very obvious, glaring thing that shows it doesn't have the full functionality of the Wave is the lack of a Sustain control for the envelopes. I'm sure that's just scratching the surface of the difference

Exactly. It's definitely not a full Wave replacement. The piece of the Wave that has been added to the Stage is the ability to employ the sample library into the synthesis section. Other than that, based on the pic, the Wave remains a much more capable synth... it's still a Wave and a Stage is still a Stage. You mentioned the envelopes, but some other biggies are much more versatile LFOs (and two of them) and a completely independent second oscillator. Although the fact that you can (presumably) layer two synth sounds, or use a multi-oscillator sample as a source waveform, means that there can be ways to work around what at first might seem like bigger limitations.

Archived