Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo Bill Evans

Hi all,

In a bookshop I recently heard a Bill Evans solo version of Polkadots and Moonbeams. I"d love to transcribe it.

Can"t seem to find it - I think it was live, but as the volume was low it was hard to tell.

Can someone help me track it down?

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help with this one but if you get a chance check out his solo version of Like Someone In Love off the Time remembered version. If someone asked me for a definition of the word beauty I would play that for them. That one does have a transcription available on Youtube:

Someone with better searching skills than I might be able to find a transcription of Polka Dots and Moonbeams for you.

Google/YouTube!

You'll find multiple versions in a second (some with transcriptions).

I just did a quick search, but didn't find a solo piano version.

However, the trio versions start with solo piano, and are very low-key. You mentioned hearing the track at low volume in a bookshop.........so perhaps the bass/brushes weren't apparent in that environment?

Great song, masterful pianist - pure beauty!

Of course, there are tons of live Bill recordings out there, so maybe a solo version(s) exists on one of them?

Evan's "Consecration- The Final Recordings" has four tracks of Polka Dots and Moonbeams. They start as solo piano then bassist Marc Johnson & Joe LaBarbera join in, but very subtle and quiet. Maybe this is what you heard?