Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hamilton KB7700K stand

Long time reader, very occasional poster here. I wondered if anyone had any experience with this slightly mutated x-stand variant. I get the principle of what it's trying to accomplish - constant width regardless of height, and no single point of failure in the centre - but I can't tell whether it's effective or well made, and the internet doesn't seem to have much to say about it. Any experiences or observations gratefully received.

s-l500.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting idea......I've never seen one in the wild here in the US, although Guitar Center seems to carry them online.

The do have a video about it...

The only reviews on the GC website are 2 negative ones..one about the "System X" sticker coming off, and the other saying it's wobbly.

I admit that stand does look like a failure waiting to happen.

Mind you - all stands have a point of failure. It's just a matter of how strong that point is. X-stands have a bad reputation here because they're typically not engineered for the stresses put on them - notably the little pin that engages with the holes cut around the outside of the disc in the centre. I've always hated that design - I have an X-stand with a crossbar, which is easier to set up and imho more suited to sustain the stresses. It's a bit like this one

KOOLSOUND-Silver-KS-22-Double-X-Steel.jpg_350x350.jpg

Cheers, Mike.

• 2 years later...
Zombie threat alert! Reviving to see if anyone has experience with this stand. I just learned about it. The concept of having a fixed width X stand intrigues me, to the extent I might want to use an X stand. But I suppose the market has spoken and voted this product down, insofar as it came out five years ago and I'm just hearing about it now and having trouble finding many reviews of it.

I hate all X stands with a white hot irrational burning ire. If you want to look like a dork behind an ironing board on stage, with the added bonus of increased instability with height, and propensity to collapse, go for it.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/ironingboard.jpg

Moe

---

I hate all X stands with a white hot irrational burning ire. If you want to look like a dork behind an ironing board on stage, with the added bonus of increased instability with height, and propensity to collapse, go for it.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/ironingboard.jpg

White hot irrational burning iron.

Cheers, Mike

Oh crap, just look how the arms and legs engage and how they hold when open.

The aluminum center piece will wear out first and then it will go from wobbly to

hell in a slam against the floor.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net