Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Yes, Jim's set is really nice, I've been using it for a few weeks now.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hi there. This is my first post. i didn't want to seem stupid by asking something that may be blindingly obvious to some. I have tried to load Jim's TW--which I did. But it only works for 61 keys, as does the "Vintage B3" from another set-up. I tried tweaking "Zone" but with no success. Am I missing a trick?

I bought the SK1 a couple of months ago and I love it and would be perfectly happy with what's there from the factory. On the other hand, I love tweaking!!

SK1-73; Yamaha CP80; Yamaha DJX; Roland S-10; Cheetah 7P (R.I.P); Yamaha P80 (R.I.P)

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried the split option, but still lose the top and bottom. I understand the logic, but wondered how others deal with this.
SK1-73; Yamaha CP80; Yamaha DJX; Roland S-10; Cheetah 7P (R.I.P); Yamaha P80 (R.I.P)

PART 1 - the review:

I played a Roland VK8/Leslie 147 combo for about nine years and a VK8/Ventilator combo for about the past year and a half. I did my first gig with the full SK2 rig this past weekend. Normally, I bring two boards to most gigs, but to give the instrument a chance to show what it could do, I opted to do Saturday with just the SK2. It performed like a champ. I'm not carrying the 147 any more and I haven't had the SK2 long enough to decide if I will use the internal sim or the Vent yet. I'll probably alternate for now. I played Saturday's gig with Hammond's 8 pin to quarter inch adapter plugged into the Ventilator routed into one mixer channel. Extra voices were routed into a second mixer channel. The mixer went to the house, as well as one K10 positioned off to my side. My wife, who has pretty good ears, happened to be at this gig. She said that every sound (organ and extra voices) was cutting through like never before. Since this is a band where I get quite a bit of room to improvise and keys are meant to be prominent, needless to say, I was chuffed!

PART 2 - My Tip:

I have read through this entire thread and I don't recall seeing this information (sorry if I'm wrong). Hammond's Leslie CU-1 tremolo/off/chorale switch, plugged into the remote input of the Ventilator operates beautifully - tremolo/stop/chorale are all there exactly as labelled on the switch. Though I might use the Vent's remote switch on most band gigs, when I do play pedals, the CU-1 / Vent thing is likely going to be very useful.

P

Question: I too used a vk8 with various set ups and recently went all sk2. However I am having a volume issue between extra voices and organ. This is global issue not EV on one manual and organ on the other. Going from a dual manual organ patch to a AP patch. It gets pretty loud on stage in my band, and I have my amp up high when the whole band is cranking. Then we start something like Tell me something good, all clav at the front with little else going on, and I blow people off the stage. Is there a global paramete for this? Should I just route all patches through the expression...the default is off? Do I have to go into each EV and adjust the volume....what a pain that would be? What are you folks doing?

I adjusted each EV patch by patch. It takes a little time to do but it's easy enough. Otherwise, just grab either the EV volume knob or the master volume if something isn't quite right.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I use my SK1 for more than one year and I am very happy using it so far. Since this thread was very useful for a lot of questions that I had in this time I thought I also could share 2 tricks that I have done with my SK1.

One trick I have done to my SK1 last week was, to take a Doepfer D3m (which has the same Fatar TP08 waterfall keyboard and same width as the SK1) and build wooden endcaps in order to achieve an easy to build and inexpensive SK2/C2D/C2 alternative. I purchased both keyboards in good used condition and in retrospect the price margin is quite remarkable. The Doepfer comes without endcaps and has a very similar screw system as the Hammond. I drilled the holes according to both keyboards into self built wooden endcaps, sanded everything down and finished it with beige (aerosol spray RAL 1015) and then screwed everything together. I added a bottom panel (below the SK1) and a moveable back panel and this way got room for the storage of wires and accessories. In total I used 18 removable screws and 4 pieces of wood. I am very satisfied with the performance of the setup, the Doepfer has an integrated midi merge function, therefore I can plug my bass pedals via midi into the Doepfer and the Doefper's midi out into the SK1. Everything works without any midi problems!

The other tip I have, is to use the Ocean Beach DB-1 Midi Drawbar Controller for the SK1/2. This way one can control both manuals with real drawbars. You can program it very easily (Dave from Ocean Beach helped me a lot and is very quick with answering questions) with the downloadable Configurator program. One can assign either the lower or the upper manual (or the pedal) to the DB-1. When I use it, I place it in the middle (the DB-1 has small rubber feet which are exactly as high as the SK-1's buttons, this way nothing will be pressed and it fitts perfectly in the middle. I do not need the display anymore since now both drawbar sets are displayed physically. The only flaw is, that this way one will not be able to use the Preset-Buttons. Sadly the DB-1 does not fit anywhere else on the SK1. I will soon have to build something to solve this issue... Also the DB-1 has an integrated midi-merge function which works perfectly without any midi problems.

I have a question to all these who own a Hammond SK2/ Nord C1/C2/C2d softcase: Can someone please post the inner measurements of one of these softcases? I would like to know if my "new" organ fits into one of them...

Here are some pictures:

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%201.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%202.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%203.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%204.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%205.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%206.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%207.jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%208..jpg

Hammond%20SK1%20%2B%20Doepfer%20D3m%209.jpg

20140808_163548.jpg

Hammond SK1, Doepfer D3m, Hohner ORT-100, Roland SA-300

BB good for you! Looks great and sounds like you had fun doing your custom project. I am not near my rig at this time, however, I use a Nord C1/C2 case for my SK2 and it fits like a glove. When I first bought it for a C2 (since sold) I noticed that the pop rivets where the handle is located by the end blocks sides of the organ were a little too exposed. I covered them up and then followed the incredibly lame diagram instructions from NORD on how to fold the interior panels as to protect the wood of the organ. I figured it out, but not on my first try; LoL, anyways it works great for the SK2 board. Joe.

So I have a stand issue for my sk2. I am using an x stand and sitting. However I cannot get my knee under the keyboard to use the expression pedal. I have to it off at an angle outside the stand. What stand are people using? The only thing on the stand for me is the sk2.

I found this at Best Buy. It has worked fine with the sk2 and sk1; it adjusts width wise just enough and has foam on the 2 side mounts that have kept the board(s) in place. It is heavyish, and you gotta be careful setting up/down, the pivot points of the legs will get ya if you don't pay attention. :-) Been using it for @ 2 years now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/quik-lok-keyboard-stand-black/6501706.p?id=1218748000670&skuId=6501706

Thanks for the feedback and thanks Joe and Piktor for your recommendations!

I was hoping to get a bag with rucksack carrying straps just like the softcase I had for my Sk1 (before I screwed into this dual manual thing). Does anyone know if this bag has these carrying straps:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Gig-bag-for-Hammond-SK2-61-Key-Dual-Manual-Organ-sk-2-ARMENS-/141257325997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e397bdad

The Nord Softcase has these wheels on it, this seems cool also...

With the knobs on top my organ has the measurements 89,5x43,5x17.6cm (or 35,2"x17,1"x6,9"). Does this still fit into the SK2/NORD C1/2 bags? Due to the height of the Doepfer D3m keyboard it came out slightly higher then the SK2... But on the other hand it is not as long as the SK2, due to the lack of these small panels on each manual's side...

The word on the Hammon gig bag is bad. Not very supportive and does not hold up. I do not know this from personal experience, but that is what I have rad on this forum. The bag that I am going to order is the fusion USA F9. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

I do believe that reports on the original Hammond SK2 bag were negative, as you said. However, Hammond replaced that bag with a better product. Apparently, it is virtually the same Gator bag that I suggested above, but it looks like it has Hammond lettering on it. Though I don't think that any bag will withstand years of use without some wear, the Gator seems to be about as good as other bag that I've owned. I'm sure that there are other alternatives.

The internal height of the gator bag is not deep enough. The knobs will stick up and the case will not close properly. The height of the sk2 is listed as 6.75. The interior height is 6.5 plus add the thickness of the straps and it is not good. I own a version of that case with wheels. I am currently using it for my sk2 and do not like it for the listed reasons. I do not put anything on top of the case for fear of breaking a knob. Looking to replace it.

BBblues, that bag looks different from the one that I got. Here is a link to the new Hammond SK2 bag on the Hammond USA site:

http://hammondorganco.com/products/accessories-a-parts/accessories/casesbags/sk-2-gig-bag/

Maybe German dealers will not carry that bag (or they have old stock to clear first).

tsaub, I believe that there could be a deep and a shallow version of that bag. What I got has plenty of room for the SK2, with internal padded straps to secure the organ in place, a generous sized second compartment on the side and a smaller netted compartment as well. I would go downstairs and double check that, but I am currently in Quebec City testing people's patience with my substandard French. :)

I think Hammond USA carries different types of bags. I have one from Japan, and yes, they are not sturdy. If you take good care of it, it's okay. Plus, the original price in Japan is so much cheaper.

According to the photo, it looks different. I've checked Hammond EU, and they seem to carry the same one as the one from Hammond USA.

http://www.hammond.eu/products/accessories/casesbags/sk-2-gig-bag/

The best way is, contact Hammond EU and ask them for more infos. Since I also live in Germany now, if mine breaks, I will contact them as well.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

last week at a gig my sk1-73 cut out - still powered up lights on etc but nothing coming out of it - running mono out through my vent...

I come back on stage and all of a sudden it is working again - ?!?

has anyone experienced anything like this?

Yep, had exactly this happen too

SK2 Sound Prolem

My SK2 is currently back at Hammond in the Netherlands, last info I had they thought it might be "one of the smaller ic components. This will mean a board replacement"

thanks for the input and link - so did yours function properly again afterwards? mine has been perfect since then...

what is a "smaller ic component? and when you say board replacement is that as in keyboard or as in circuit board?

Hi

The SK2 is now back and working fine - Hammond UK said it was down to "a power supply component issue"

cheers

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

SK-1 (61 key) Gig bag: I guess the Hammond name on a bag is nice (but $150.???).... The "tactical" gun bag at Cabelas (IK-230625) is tough as nails, has three pockets (plus you acan add more via the "loops" and is around $60. is padded and fits like a glove. You can get the cammo version and really freak-out the bouncer when you walk through the club....
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

You are right, in Germany it is 99, still too expensive in my opinion. Very nice pointer with the gun bag! But still I think the Hammond Bag is the best bag for the SK1 and I really do appreciated the rucksack straps... You can walk to the session/rehearsal with the sk1 on the back, very convenient. I sell mine for 50 by the way.

Is their a Cabelas Bag fitting for the SK2 also?

I am still thinking about getting the original bag for the SK2 (now that I have made my "custom sk2" with my sk1). But I ordered the Gator GKB 61 and will look how it fits, arrives this week...

The problem is that my organ is slightly smaller and shorter then the Sk2 and there does not seem to be the perfect fit with any bag...

No rucksack straps but still a nice fit for 33 - Thomann Keyboard Bag 3, I am very satisfied with the build quality for the money. The bag has a nice and defined rectangular shape and provides sufficient protection, I definitely recommend it. I also ordered the Gator GKB61 bag but did not like the looks of it very much. It is a good bag though, but I sent it back...

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag3.jpg