Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Shannon

Ever hear of these guys? Robert Randolph and the Family Band

I hadn't, a friend of mine just introduced me to their music. He's a friend of theirs and he has a ton of their live recordings. Great jam band. They really play off of each other well, tons of energy. Makes for great party music. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of em. If you ever get a chance to see them live, go... I hear they put on a great show. One of the few bands I've heard that I can honestly say, whatever genre of music your into you can't help but get into this.

P.S. Not intending to sound spammy, just wanted to share. We should have a "bands you probably haven't heard of but should" thread....

:cool:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I posted on 'em a while ago. I heard some slammin' Sly Stone groove with a Hendrixesque guitar on VH1, and when I looked, the Jimi-esque guitar was coming from a PEDAL STEEL! :eek::thu:

Randolph was on the cover of GP a few months back.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Gospel/funk-based, he gets compared to Hendrix a lot but I think he's actually more like Jerry Lee Lewis, what with the swooping glissandi & all.

Besides RR himself, take note of his bass playing, singing brother.

Yeah, those guys are really great. I also saw his video on VH1 at around 6 in the morning and was wondering who was playing real music on VH1... turns out it was Robert, who is a great musician and their album is awesome.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

My gf took me to the Clapton concert in July, and Robert Randolph opened up for them.

Though i was excited to see Clapton come on, i was bummed when *their* set was over :eek: I mean, who says "you know, i'm going to go play the blues and rock on a pedal steel"? I was blown away by the Voodoo Chile on the steel..

These guys toadilly rule. :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

RR and the Family Band were on Austin City Limits a while back and were really fine. They are all great players. There is a great instrumental gospel CD called "The Word" that is RR playing with (I think) the North Mississippi Allstars that is just killer too.

Only problem with him is he got so big so fast I'll probably not get to see him in a small venue.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

I bought their CD after hearing one song.

The playing is great. It has more raw energy than most anything else on the airwaves today.

However, The songwriting could stand some imporovenment IMHO.

Despite this its still a good listen.

BTW - there is a band out of Rochester NY called the Campbell brothers- sacred steel. They are quite well known in gospel circles and in Europe. Randolph seems to have built on a style the Campbells have been developing for some time-in the context of gospel. If you like Randolphs tone and style check out the Campbell Brothers sacred steel. They kick but.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by Kendrix:

I bought their CD after hearing one song.

The playing is great. It has more raw energy than most anything else on the airwaves today.

However, The songwriting could stand some imporovenment IMHO.

Despite this its still a good listen.

BTW - there is a band out of Rochester NY called the Campbell brothers- sacred steel. They are quite well known in gospel circles and in Europe. Randolph seems to have built on a style the Campbells have been developing for some time-in the context of gospel. If you like Randolphs tone and style check out the Campbell Brothers sacred steel. They kick but.

The Campbell brothers were Randolph's mentors, from what I've read.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

He is a sweet player. I love his tone.

If you like pedal steel I HIGHLY recommend Junior Brown. He is more traditional in his approach and actually mimics a more of a pedal steel sound. More country but he also plays rock and blues licks.

Now yer talkin I love this guy. :cool::thu:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

He is a sweet player. I love his tone.

If you like pedal steel I HIGHLY recommend Junior Brown. He is more traditional in his approach and actually mimics a more of a pedal steel sound. More country but he also plays rock and blues licks.

Now yer talkin I love this guy. :cool::thu:
It's OK to like BOTH RR and Junior...they are not mutually exclusive! :-)

I first saw these guys on PBS when they aired the WC Handy Awards ceremony from 2003. Then, I caught them on Letterman last winter. I was also at a Clapton show where they opened in July. I'm a big fan. I have two of their discs.

I believe this high energy style of slide playing originated in a certain type of church and is referred to as sacred steel. Of course, all of you GP readers should know that from the issue featuring Randolph on the cover.

It's great to see young people bringing new energy to music that has been around near a century.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Archived