Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Last Waltz

Darklava

Does anybody remember what kind of fender

Robbie Robertson was using?It looks like a

Mustang with a extra single coil added next

to the bridge single coil pickup.I've never

seen were Fender put out a stat with a slanted

humbucker,and a single coil neck pickup only.

1978 man what a great year[i was 18]it was good

to see that movie again,takes me away to that warm

safe place. :thu:

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/rrbd_lwbook.gif

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny you should post this, I just watched this last night and thought "damn, these guy's were really friggin' good". I guess as I get older I appreciate the diversity of that band. They could play anything with anybody and make it sound fresh.

I think Robbie's guitar was just a straight up Strat with a custom pickguard with the middle pickup removed.

I also watched "The Kids are Alright" last night as well, good night for memory lane. The Who were a strange group musically. When you sit back and watch how they evolved, they were unique, I'll give them that.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

I don't know the answer, but in about 1978, Fender was making the Laed I and Lead II guitars, and the Lead II would somewhat fit your description.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

"The Weight" with the Staples...brilliant.

The Band is so often overlooked. They are one of those "whole is greater than the sum of the parts" groups. Their music is as much about "feel" as anything. Very soulful for a rock band.

Robbie Robertson's first solo album is pretty freakin' amazing, too.

Originally posted by urbanhiker:

The way I heard it, Robbie got Fender to move the middle pickup down next to the bridge pup for a brighter sound. Other than that it's stock.

I thougt that look like two single coils side

by side.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Dunno if anyone cares or not, but during the "Commentary" audio portion of the DVD, Robertson mentions that he had his guitar bronzed (like baby shoes) for this show. He said he thought it would make a nice commemorative touch... and it also made his guitar heavy as hell.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The bronzing apparently made the guitar unplayable.

Taken from the link that ihategarybettmen posted above:

5. The Last Waltz Strat®

On Thanksgiving Day 1976 at San Francisco's Winterland Arena, legendary U.S combo The Band gave their farewell performance before a spellbound audience.

The Band (Robbie Robertson (guitar), Rick Danko (Bass, violin, guitar), Richard Manuel (lead vocals, piano, drums), Levon Helm (Drums, mandolin) and Garth Hudson (Lowrey organ, piano, keyboards, saxophones, accordion, horns) started life as The Hawks in 1960. By the mid 60's, they had been discovered by Bob Dylan and joined him as his official backing band both on tour and in the studio, notably on Dylan's all-time classic album Blonde On Blonde.

The Band also became legendary in their own right with a string of excellent studio albums, including Music From The Big Pink (1968) and The Band (1969), as well as their live albums, Rock Of Ages (1972) and In Concert (1973).

Their farewell concert was captured on film and released both as a record and a film The Last Waltz directed by Martin Scorsese.

The concert was a five hour, star-studded affair with luminaries such as Bob Dylan, Dr. John, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Emmylou Harris, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Neil Young, Ringo Starr, Paul Butterfield, Ronnie Hawkins, and the Staples. It is regarded by many as the finest concert ever captured on film.

Although the publicity and album/DVD cover for The Last Waltz feature a Telecaster® as its central image, there can be no doubt that the star of the show that night was Robbie Robertson's 1958 Stratocaster®. His trusty Strat® (serial number #0234) had been a constant feature throughout his career and was very much part of the band's sound on that historic night.

After the legendary concert, Robertson retired the guitar and had the body coated in bronze. (The act of bronzing' a treasured article is sometimes practiced in the U.S and other parts of the world. For example, some people have their baby's first shoes bronzed as a way of converting the item to an art object).

In 1995, the guitar was loaned by Robertson to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio and remains in their collection to this day. Obviously, as the guitar is unplayable, it would be of little interest to anyone wishing to purchase it in auction with a view to playing it. However, as a cultural symbol and a piece of rock history, the Last Waltz Strat® remains one of the most valuable and important Stratocaster® guitars in the world today.

• 10 months later...
The BAND played Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor Michigan, I was there. Hill is not a very large venue but the sound is great. They where fantastic and Robbie was in great form! There was no Dillon appearance at this one. The keyboard player was amazing in almost classical at times. Zevon was a tiny bit horse but still did a great job on vocals and came up front and did a mandolin thing with Robbie and local guy here Jim McCartie. Zevon (coal miners daughter's father in the movie) did ALL the chat with the audience. Support group was Teagarden and VanWinkle.

Yeah, it's a Strat; I ran across a reference to a bronzed 1970 Strat signed by Robbie Robertson, so that may be the year if it's the same one.

I had always just assumed that it had a Gibson humbucker by the bridge and a Strat neck-pickup, but I guess that it was actually the Strat's three single-coils, with the middle-pickup moved up close to the bridge-pickup in a custom-made pickguard. I don't know how they were wired.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by ellwood:

The BAND played Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor Michigan, I was there. Hill is not a very large venue but the sound is great. They where fantastic and Robbie was in great form! There was no Dillon appearance at this one. The keyboard player was amazing in almost classical at times. Zevon was a tiny bit horse but still did a great job on vocals and came up front and did a mandolin thing with Robbie and local guy here Jim McCartie. Zevon (coal miners daughter's father in the movie) did ALL the chat with the audience. Support group was Teagarden and VanWinkle.

Ellwood..were you very tired when you wrote this post? :-) it's LEVON Helm, not Zevon (were you thinking of Warren?) And I would think most people know that it's Bob DYLAN, not Dillon. I don't mean to bust your balls, but I couldn't resist. :-)

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Zevon was a tiny bit horse but still did a great job on vocals and came up front and did a mandolin thing

Ellwood..were you very tired when you wrote this post? :-) it's LEVON Helm, not Zevon (were you thinking of Warren?)
Maybe "Zevon" was a horse with no name (but a small bit, which saved a lot of money on saddlery expenses) and ellwood kindly decided to name him? ;)

Anyway, it sounds as if the Band was on a whinning streak ;)

Well, what am I kidding about? Spelling aside, ell saw them, and I did not. Half his luck. :thu:

Not sure about the guitar, but couldn't help but mention that the movie is amazing. One of my favourite "music" movies.

I just missed seeing them play at Woodstock 94' (saw Crosby, still and Nash instead as they were playing at the same time.) But my buddy say them that day. He said they were unbelievable.

Originally posted by A String of Entrails:

"I just missed seeing them play at Woodstock 94' (saw Crosby, still and Nash instead as they were playing at the same time.) But my buddy say them that day. He said they were unbelievable."

I think I would have had to opt for The Band over CS&N, although had it been CSN&Y, it would've been a hard call to make... daaahh, pro'ly still The Band... or running back and forth! Hmmmnn, maybe standing strategically in the middle, calling on my Data (Star Trek/NG) music appreciation skills... :thu:;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Ellwood..were you very tired when you wrote this post? :-) it's LEVON Helm, not Zevon (were you thinking of Warren?) And I would think most people know that it's Bob DYLAN, not Dillon. I don't mean to bust your balls, but I couldn't resist. :-)
WOW 55 when your right yur RIGHT!! gezzz ya musta been for sure! naww that musta been Dillon thats Dylans wicked step brother :D:o:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Originally posted by A String of Entrails:

"I just missed seeing them play at Woodstock 94' (saw Crosby, still and Nash instead as they were playing at the same time.) But my buddy say them that day. He said they were unbelievable."

I think I would have had to opt for The Band over CS&N, although had it been CSN&Y, it would've been a hard call to make... daaahh, pro'ly still The Band... or running back and forth! Hmmmnn, maybe standing strategically in the middle, calling on my Data (Star Trek/NG) music appreciation skills... :thu:;):D
I wanted to see part of each, but there turned out to be a two hour wade through the crowd to get to the other stage so I decided to stay put.

It was rumoured that Neil was going to appear (although it wasn't true), and during my friend's travelling time, I got to see Traffic as well. It was a tough call, but you can see why I stayed put.

Archived