Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Famous Strats...

BiC

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Bic,

You are too cruel! :cry:

So thanks for the link to the pics. :freak:

Great link! Thanks. :thu:

Dave

Actually you don't have to block the tremlo....just buy a couple more springs, and it keeps that sucker tight up against the body. I put a spring for every slot on the block on every strat I own.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Good reading, and cool pics!

As for blocking a Strat Trem, just make a little "wedge" of wood to slip between the "Inertia Block" and the body inside the back of the cavity. If you just tap it into place enough to stay put, but not affect the pitch of the strings, it'll hold the Trem in place and you'll get the sound of a Trem-equipped Strat (with the springs almost acting as a mechanical reverb) with the stability and (some of) the sustain of a "hardtail".

When you want to use the Trem, just pull up a little on the bar and remove the wooden wedge.

I used to do this with a one-off custom Strat-styled axe from Ithaca Guitar Works, and it worked just fine.

And- as for adding springs, etc.- you can also tighten the screws that hold the spring-claw in the cavity on the back to increase spring tension a little and to position the Trem where you want it. The best thing to do is to find the combination of number of springs and spring claw adjustment that suits you. Adding springs also increases the stiffness of the Trem's action, making it harder to perform whammy-workouts. If you prefer a lighter touch, then you'll want to position the bridge by adjustment alone.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Half a mil for a GI-tar! I'd sell 'em my lefty-mexy-strat for $500 right now, cash on the barrel head, no questions asked! I guess that Clapton axe has a tad more history than my mistress, so maybe I'll hold off a while longer. Nice website, thanks for the link. :thu:

Bruce

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Did you notice one common thing that connected each story? Each of those guys had a unique instrument, either from the factory or they customized it themselves. That's my favorite thing about Strats, they're so cool and easy to customize! I'm making my Strat into a playable work of art. :) When I get done I guess I'll have to buy another and start over! :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

When I get done I guess I'll have to buy another and start over! :D

No, that's strat over... ;)

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

an interesting note Dave is the highway one strat has a more vintage correct trem than most strats, it uses a steel block and the string ball ends do not go way up in the block. they are right at the bottom of the block. i would guess this has a little extra voodoo in getting vintage strat tones. thats why if i bought a strat it would be a highway one as opposed to an AM standard.

Hey guitarzan and Geenard, et al,

I'm goin' start a new thread on this, as I'm almost ready to pick my Highway 1 up, and they'll do the blocking (and / or probably the 5 spring thing) for FREE! So, I'd like to get it right the first time while it's still free.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Quite a collection there, "BiC"--as a lifelong "Strat-man," I very much enjoyed looking at the gallery of famous Strats and reading the histories behind each guitar. The guitars owned by Rory Gallagher and SRV especially reminded me of the 1963 Strat that I owned back in the late 70's and early 80's as it too had a body finish that was somewhat worn.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Nice link BiC ! :thu:

Dave - I think I gotta go with Stevie's #1. Partially because of my love of his music (of course, all the others fall into that category too! :thu: ), but mostly just because of the ragged, beat up, Frankenstein nature of the thing.

(Of course, I might change my mind later... ;) )

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Let's start voting.

My Most Favorite: Dave Gilmour's "001" Strat :love:

Maybe this was Fender's 1st Custom Shop Guitar?

My Least Favorite: Harrison's Rocky. No further comment.

Dave

I, on the other hand, like Harrison's "Rocky". One could well argue that he butchered it by painting all over it. But, that was the time, the 60s. Harrison was still basically a kid. Heck, look at the guys nowadays who cover their guitars with stickers.

But, Rocky is a classic...identifiable from a mile away. Even made an appearance in Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" video, with Mike Campbell playing it. Kinda like Clapton's psychedelic SG.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I was one of the fortunate guys to have my hair standing on end at Dweezil's. He told me the story about finding it under the stairs. I saw it before the Fender Custom shop fixed it up. I really didn't even pick it up, I was too nervous though I made sure I touched it.

I felt the same way about all of Frank's guitars that are just sitting there in the guitar stand.

All of his cool old SG's used in the Mother days, the Les Paul on the cover of "Shut UP...", the natural finish Strat....

Too cool...

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Archived