Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

overrated guitarist?

SF audio

I heard someone say they thought Santana was one of the greatest ever....now, he's very good, but I don't consider him as one of the great ones....probably many do because he's been around forever. Not that you have to be a virtuoso to be considered great, but I hardly think his technique and style are that special....excuse me if I've offended anyone, but I must be in rant mode today......
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by elferoony:

Kirk Hammett.

Now I like some of his work, like on Hero of the Day and One, but I think he gets too much credit for the Metallica sound.

Its true that James Hetfield writes most of the main riffs and stuff. But without Hammett the music is bland. Listen to St. Anger, you'll understand what I mean. He's a great guitarist.
Shut up and play.

Carlos Santana may not be among the most technically gifted guitar players around (although, in my opinion, he's no slouch either!), but what has caused Carlos to be on my list of favorite guitarists over the years is his ability to make his solos sing, rather than merely scream or whatever. I can still recall something that he said in a GUITAR PLAYER magazine interview many many years ago--basically, he said that when you go to play a guitar solo, SING it first--if you lose your breath before you finish, then it's too fast. Also, while on vacation in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA in July 2000, my wife Maria and I caught Santana live in concert, and I very much enjoyed how the emphasis at that concert was on the MUSIC, and not on the "other things" that secular music as a whole seems to be so caught up with these days. Again, Carlos may not make some folks' "best guitar player" lists, but, ask yourself why YOU play: it is because you want to outdo other players, or is it because you enjoy music and enjoy playing it? If I was to guess, I'd bet that Carlos Santana's answer to that question would be the latter choice.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

i am with you lone chicken, i am a fan of Carlos. i hope playing guitar is more than how technical you solo. its about the music not the individual. knowing when to let the band shine is more important than masturbating on the guitar. i do love a ripping solo but there has to be something behind it. :thu:

Well, although Zappa played guitar...I don't think anyone really considered him a great guitarist. I personally don't care much for his playing. Zappa was known for his composition skills, his ability to father (or should I say "mother") all kinds of interesting projects, from the bizarre and humorous to the socially conscious (often with tongue in cheek). His skills were writing and orchestrating.

My choice for overrated guitarist...well, it isn't totally fair, because I haven't heard a lot of his stuff. A few tunes, and then it was like "This is enough. I'm not into this"...but, bluesman Son Seals doesn't do anything for me. But, to be fair, perhaps I need to listen to more of his stuff.

Oh, and Carlos? I love Santana. You can spot him a mile away. One note on his guitar and it's "yep, that's Santana". Perhaps he isn't qualified to be a "guitar god"...but he plays well, says what he means, serves the song...he's okay in my book.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

lets ask some people who the best guitarist is. here are thier answers...

person #1: the most technical player

person #2: the fastest

person#3: the one with the most feeling

person#4 the coolest

person#5 the most popular

person#6 the most rounded

person#7 the guy who writes the best songs

and so on .......

everyone will answer differently because we all have personal yardsticks we measure by. i myself respect and admire Carlos because he is a musician and that is more important to me than how fast or technical he is , music is not a sport. i listen to music that sometimes has no guitar in it :eek:

i love music. i also love guitars and all the cool and wild thing that they can do. what would happen if singers had to compete like guitar players? it wouldn't be how well you could sing but how fast and how many notes you threw in. how annoying would that be? :freak:

:freak:

Guitarzan, I think you're saying it well. This is such a subjective topic. I mean, even my own preferences have changed over the years. Twenty years ago, for example, I couldn't stand Neil Young's electric playing; now as see him as someone who goes out on stage every time as though it might be his last chance, and that has helped me to grasp the passion in his playing.

Still, I want to give people a chance to argue and be defensive, so I'll give my list of overrated players:

Kirk Hammett- I have taught kids who play with his amount of technique and much better phrasing and tone.

Joe Satriani - I hear many hours of practising, but I don't hear much passion or inventiveness.

Mark Tremonti - Uninspiring riffs, tone, and...I don't know, he just bugs the heck out of me!

Joe Perry - Brad Whitford...now that's a rock guitarist!

That should give people enough to get all hot about.

Oh, one more. In the North Jersey area, most overrated: me. :eek:

OK Guys...again... let's clear this up once and for all!!!

I'M THE #1 GUITARIST!!! :freak:

Haven't you ever heard of "Rock'n Rod"??? :rolleyes:

hehe :D

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Whenever anyone mentions overrated guitar players, I still think of Nuno Bettencourt, even tho I've not heard of him for years. Because when I started playing he was in every magazine as the next great guitar hero and I hated that more than words dirge!!!

Where is he now anyway, Burger King??? :evil:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

i think we can blame the media for the overexposure of certain guitarists. it is usually related to who is up in the charts. (the most popular). if you ask Joe Perry he will say that Brad is a better guitar player than him. yet Joe gets loads of praise from people like us. why? there is something that comes out of him other than technique. some guitar players have a certain signature or feel that is 100% them. others can copy anything but have no identity. sometimes our limits are what makes our playing unique. i gravitate towards players who put themselves into the song. my official entry for most overrated guitarist is...........................................

Madonna!!! :bor: if you remember , gibson(i believe) gave her an award for most promising guitarist awhile back? :rolleyes: does anyone remember this?

Overrated? or overplayed? I personally like the Santana of old, when he laid back in the pocket a bit more, instead of being the solo guitar in between vocal lines that he is now. I have to agree with others who make the distinction of tone recognition.....you know its Santana when you hear him, you know it Hendrix, you know its Jimmy Page, you know when its Micheal Hedges, you know when its Jimmy Vaughn..........but damn if I can tell the difference between Vai/Malmsteen/Satriani. Sorry for those who dig that music, but its definitely Kenny G on guitar in my humble opinion. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Oh this is silly.Anyone who played a Yamaha SG as long as Santana did is alright in my books. If it wasn't for that fact I never would have bought my beloved Yamaha SA2000.(Tried a Yamaha SG for a while - but they weigh a ton) And he always fits right in with the band and the singer,whichever line-up. :thu: My favourite film of him in concert is the one where a storm blows up during an outdoor show and the band keeps playing. seen him twice in Sydney he plays with absolute conviction.

Was that earlier FZ comment referring to The Secret Carlos Santana Chord Progression (Shut up an play yer guitar, I think) or something else? Just seems like typical FZ humour to me, not a put down.

And Santana has a sense of humour - I gave him a guitar Player mag with seperate pictures of him and Jeff Beck on the cover and he signed the picture of Jeff Beck! :)

I tend to look at Carlos as the Guitarist in a great band. The pioneer in Latin Rock, mixing loud electric guitar with lots of percussion. I thought their performance at Woodstock was one of the highlights of the festival. I think you have to pay attention to the music the band played and when they were playing it. The late 60s and early 70s is when Carlos earned his keep, and during that time frame, Santana made some great contributions to music and guitar.

we need guitar cards (the gum would be shaped like a pick). it would have a pic on the front and all the stats on the back: notes played, solos taken, average (how often they nail a solo) etc....i wish i had a jimi hendrix rookie card!!! :D

it seems to me there are a lot of people who consider soloing the only measure of a great guitarist.???????? i don't believe that is a good way to measure all guitarists. there is more to music than solos. ...there is..isn't there? :freak:

Originally posted by guitarzan the impaler:

we need guitar cards (the gum would be shaped like a pick). it would have a pic on the front and all the stats on the back: notes played, solos taken, average (how often they nail a solo) etc....i wish i had a jimi hendrix rookie card!!! :D

it seems to me there are a lot of people who consider soloing the only measure of a great guitarist.???????? i don't believe that is a good way to measure all guitarists. there is more to music than solos. ...there is..isn't there? :freak:

:(ARE YOU CRAZY? DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT AGAIN MISTER.Know go to your room and practice your scales...stat! :P
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I think Carlos is overrated if you are talking about technical skill. I've got two little live clips of him recently. One is from MTV where he's playing for some little girl singer, and the other is him doing "smoothe" live. He screws up on both of the clips during real easy solos.

However, I love both of those clips, and I love to hear him play. He's just really musical. In fact those two clips inspired me greatly. I am not a great technical player and probably never will be, but I can makes some good music and play some very tasty solo work sometimes. If he can play as badly as he does and people love to hear him play, then there's hope for me as a guitar player.

Go Carlos! Hit that bum note baby.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Originally posted by guitarzan the impaler:

:(ARE YOU CRAZY? DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT AGAIN MISTER.Know go to your room and practice your scales...stat! :P
you are right!! everyone sucks !! solos rule man.

yngwie is god!!!!! clapton sucks ass.ROCK AN ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!arghhhhhhhhhh :thu:

Originally posted by D Man:

I agree about Santana. I like him as an entertainer, but to say that he's one of the greatest guitarist ever is a bit of a stretch, IMO. I'd also throw in Kurt Cobain in the over-rated guitarist catergory.

Kurt Cobain surely cannot be over-rated as a guitar player, wasn't he the guy who changed the face of guitar music in the most suddden and dramatic fashion since Hendrix? I measure talent by influence, and for me that makes Cobain one of the greats.

Archived