Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Defining Moment ?

BiC

What was that defining moment in your life when you said, "Man, I want to play guitar!"?

Mine was around 7th grade when a band called "Free Fare" came to our school and jammed out some cover tunes which were popular at the time.

One of those tunes was "Metal Health". Man, when I heard that song, I was "whipped"! :love:

I've been "whipped" ever since! :thu:

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Actually, though, I wasn't sure if I wanted to bash a geetar at that point or be a drummer. Being surrounded by and bashing on all that hardware sure looked fun.

But, I guess, after years of relative non-musicianship, going to a picnic in Sarnia, Ontario, in 1970 or 71 was pretty much the defining moment. A guy brought a semi hollowbody electric to strum on. He showed me how to tune it and a couple of chords. That was it for me.

Cool little footnote...years later, after not having seen that guy for several years, he and one of his buddies showed up at a bar where I was playing. That was kinda cool...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I don't think I ever had a "defining moment". Ever since I was little (like 3 years old) I was just always drawn to the guitar. I guess even as a child I liked the sounds it made.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Mine was around 7th grade when a band called "Free Fare" came to our school and jammed out some cover tunes which were popular at the time.
They came to my school too! I was in grade 8 and they all swapped instruments throughout the show.

My defining moment was when I was playing bass and realized that my ego required more than 4 strings. Seeing SRV live in concert didn't hurt either.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I grew up as a violinist, and my defining moment came when I was fourteen, and my violin teacher said to me, "Alan, stop holding your violin like a guitar. The violin is not a guitar."

Damned if she wasn't right! My brother got an inexpensive acoustic that Christmas, and it was all over for me.

I still love the violin, though I don't play anymore because I don't have the time to keep up my technique, but if you really think about it, how often do you see people standing around playing "air violin?"

In 1st grade I'd rock out to Kiss and Boston but the 'I've got to get a guitar' moment was when Van Halen's 1984 came out. Wish I would've stuck with it but switched to drums due to lack of drummers in the area. The 2nd time around there really wasn't a defining moment. I just went to guitar center after work one day and bought a guitar, I've played everyday for the last 3 years.
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

They came to my school too! I was in grade 8 and they all swapped instruments throughout the show.

That is WILD! :cool: I was wondering if anybody else may have seen them. Where did you go to school? Just wondering how extensive their tour was. I was in Jasper, Indiana at the time.

BTW, do you remember that one guy moonwalking??? :D

ALSO, I caught another traveling school act called "Freedom Jam".

Peace :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I was around 14 or 15. I was attending a summer program at a local university. Another kid that was there played me the "Extraterrestrial Live" album by B.O.C. then proceeded to play a recording of a guitar solo named "Eruption" by some guy named Eddie Van Halen. I never heard of the guy, but THAT was the defining moment.

Almost 20 years later, I actually bought a guitar! I can't play Eruption... but I don't worry about that. I'm having too much fun!

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

When I saw some Rage against the Machine videos. Tom Morello's intense guitar was so 'it' for me at the time. I got a guitar and amp, and as soon as I could, I saved up for a Digitech multi-fx (which is now only used for tuning.)

When I was about four years old, I saw some cheesey Western on TV where this guy in Mexican Dandified "cowboy" regalia, all tassles and conchos and fringe, was playing flamenco-ish geetar by a campfire in the desert. I just thought that was cool as all Hell, and the way he kept playing faster and more intensely blew me away.

Right then and there, I wanted to become the "fastest guitarist in the world". Not in today's context, I didn't know anything about any lead, guitar-hero, soloing stuff; think Speedy Gonzales with a flat-top acoustic, that's the image that was in my mind.

When I was a little bigger, I finally got my hands on a real, live, borrowed guitar. I stole off to my room, to begin what would surely be the first but thrilling steps towards world domination, to find that... I couldn't fret one single note!

I didn't realize that I had a very bad example of a guitar on my hands, a warped-neck Kay with cheese-cutter action and no intonation to speak of, and a big metal logo on the headstock that vibrated, even if the strings wouldn't. But I became totally discouraged by the experience, and did'nt get back to the guitar 'till years later, when at the age of thirteen my buddy decided that as hyper, skinny, and long-haired as I was, that I had to be the Angus Young type lead guitarist in his semi-imaginary band. It didn't matter that I knew less than Jack $h!t about guitar playing, he insisted that I get one and commence rockin' out. What a lot of noise he started! And I mean that in every best possible way.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

When I was in third grade i bought an album by Ozzy osborne called blizzard of oz. After listening to it once i knew that I would play guitar. I snuck into my sisters room and swiped a cheap student acoustic that she had but never played andplayed it and begged enough to finally get a Harmony electric for christmas. Sinced then I have played pretty much straight through.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

As many others, not a real defining moment.

I started learning a two string old melodic English Folk song ("A Soalin"). When I had learned that, I "graduated" to some simple chords, D, G and C at first I think. Then I learned a bunch of Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul & Mary songs.

But, I guess the closest thing to a defining moment was when I successfully learned CCR's intro riff to "Proud Mary". Now that was cool :cool:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

i actually wanted to start on stand-up bass 'cuz the high school jazz band played at our elementary and i freaked over that swingin' "Thump". then they played the m.a.s.h. theme and i was sold.

later, about 13 yrs old, my brother went into the air force and came back from his schools and what-not talking about the blues. so i stole SRV's "Live Alive" from a record shop and that was it... i traded my snowboard for a cheap les paul copy.

during the same summer, Robert Cray's "Strong Persuader" was on the radio a lot, and Eric Clapton was wearing suits and playing that pewter strat. you know, that brief period where guitarists pretended to have some class :thu:

In 1977 I met a kid at my school who had really long hair, and had a girl friend, so i thought he was the coolest fucker that ever lived. Little did i know how COOL this cat was. The next week I went to his house to check out this guitar he had, which really was a bass. Anyway lurking in the corner was a pile of records that contanied The Beatles; REVOLVER and RUBBER SOUL. He played those records and my life has never been the same. By the way I was 7 and he was 10. Twenty six years latter, we are still best friends, and we still put those two records on and toss back a cold one and grin from ear to ear. :thu:

For me it was Jimi Hendrix. I went over to a friends house. He had this Hendrix record, or at least I always thought it was. I've never seen again what I thought it was. I black and white cover, crazy Hendrix hair , women lounging. It may have been that Life magazine article at the time my memory confused.

Anyway then I heard All Along The Watch Tower, which had just been released, and flipped. I bought Electric Ladyland and it was all over. Quickly I bought Are You Experienced and Axis:Bold As Love.

It was his whole VIBE that got to me, even beyond his guitar playing. But, although I didn't realy play an instrument at this time, I ALWAYS knew I was a musician and was getting very frustrated because I hadn't found my instrument yet. I was thirteen. I think I talked my Mom into buying me a guitar a few weeks later.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

"Twenty six years latter, we are still best friends, and we still put those two records on and toss back a cold one and grin from ear to ear." :thu:

Man, that's great! It's like that with me and a friend of mine, only it's to the dulcet tones of old AC/DC, Cheap Trick, and Motorhead!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah, Diamond and Caveman...cool stories...to think that some of you folks and your earliest musical compadres have remained close over the years. I'm still close to most of my early compadres, but they live in Michigan, so I don't see 'em often. Once in awhile...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I was in 7th grade and a new friend that I had just meet was learning guitar from his father who had been playing for years by ear alone. One day I called him up and he was playing so I asked him to play something for me. He played the intro riff to Tom Petty's "Running down a Dream" and I said to myself "my god, that sounds awesome. I want to be able to play that!" So several months later my birthday came around I and was able to con my parents into buying me a Squire II Strat and a Fender 15 watt amp. I haven't been the same since :D !

I remember playing air guitar to the who when I was about three and my brother was fifteen. I also remember jamming with him to the stones and doors too. Over the years the desire to get a guitar just kept building. I got into Blondie when I was eight, and the Ramones and Talking Heads shortly after. By the time I was fourteen I was ready to explode and I finally got my first guitar after I got my paycheck from my first real job.

HOLY CRAP!! :eek:

I remember those dudes coming around to my school in Toronto. That must be 20 years or more ago...

No real "defining moment" for me... I wanted to pull in some birds, so I picked up a guitar. Worked wonders.

-{m}- What's these knobs for?

http://www.martianrebel.com

At the high shcool dance, a local band played Shake your Moneymaker and the guitarist was sooo smoooth and he was playing a Thunderbird and the joint was jumpin and I just had to try that!

Many years later and I'm still learning!

PPPPPaul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C

Peavey C-30

blah blah ho hum etc etc

Originally posted by martianrebel:

HOLY CRAP!! :eek:

I remember those dudes coming around to my school in Toronto. That must be 20 years or more ago...

No real "defining moment" for me... I wanted to pull in some birds, so I picked up a guitar. Worked wonders.

That IS wild!!! :eek: It actually was about 20 years ago... I had to have been in 7th grade or so!

Man, those "School Traveling Bands" really got around. :cool:

I wonder if anything would turn up in a websearch of "free fare" and "freedom jam"?

Peace! :thu:

Originally posted by BiC:

The very same band came to my junior high school when I was in 8th grade!

When I was really young, 9-10 years old, I wanted to be in Kiss. Not play guitar, just be in Kiss! My first impulse to play guitar was when I heard an AC/DC song, called "Rocker", I think. Not even my favorite song, it just hit me at that moment.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

My "moment" actually took place over two weekends. The first weekend a local TV station played a movie about some thing called "Woodstock" and at the end of the movie there was this guy dressed like an Indian playing this music that just sort of swept over every thing in the room. When the music stopped I asked my mom "WHO WAS THAT !?!"

"That" She said. "Was Jimi Hendrix"

The next weekend that same station played a movie about a deaf, dumb and blind kid that played pinball.

That was pretty much it for me.

So those calluses are supposed to be there; right?

A handful of things for me:

1) A good friend got a Carvin. I was there when he got it in the mail and opened it. Something magical about his anticipation and reaction upon getting it.

2) Same guy, same guitar, another magical moment - their band played at our high school. He did the opening riff from Sweet Home Alabama, and the place went crazy. In a heartbeat, I would have traded my girlfriend to have been him at that moment.

3)ACE FREHLEY, LEAD GUITAR, SHOCK ME!!! Need I say more?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• 6 months later...

Circa 1983?...The video for Quiet Riot's "Cum On Feel the Noize" So much energy, so much hair. Rudy Sarzo did this totally cool (and totally fake) metalhead flash move where he used his thumb to slide down the neck of his bass while Carlos Cavazo did the pickslide that you actually heard. Hey...I had no clue. I just thought they ROCKED and dammit that's what I wanted to do, too.

2 years of begging & pleading later, I got my first bass. I've been affected by all kinds of music ever since, but that was *the moment*, sitting in front of the TV watching 'Saturday Night Videos" because my folks wouldn't pony up for cable & MTV.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Archived