Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Defining Moment ?

BiC

I was alone at my brothers apartment when I was 14 or 15, and had been playing guitar for about half a year. I picked the guitar up, and toyed around. I suddenly realised I was playing the lick from The Spy (by The Doors). It wasn't totally correct, but when I came home I picked up my fathers nylon string, adn started learning. And I still am, but with a bunch of new toys... ;)

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it was just the appeal of playing in a band. I was having problems with the band director at my school (sophomore year) when I was playing trumpet. I quit school band the following year, and over the summer, I took up bass. I played bass in a band for several months, but then realized I was starting to play the bass like lead guitar. I decided to switch instruments. That Christmas (2001) I started guitar. I seemed to have a really natural talent for it, and I was as good as people who had been playing for a few years, only I had been playing for five months.

After playing a year, I decided to start guitar lessons, and then it hit me. A lot of my technique was pretty bad. I never used to use my pinky. Then after about 9 months of lessons I got a lot better. So now I've been playing a little over 2 years.

Shut up and play.

1975... I saw some footage of Jimi Hendrix playing 'Hey Joe' and 'Purple Haze' on Don Kirshner's rock concert and I immediately had to learn how to do that. 29 years later I am still working at it :P

Drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

1964-The Beatles on Ed Sullivan inspired me to want to play guitar, start a band and grow my hair long. I didn't have a guitar (I was seven)so my cousins and I just used whatever noisemaking toys we had around. Later I heard Hendrix and I knew I needed to get a guitar and I finally got one.

I never had the nerve to start a band until I saw some punk bands such as the Ramones and Avengers in the late seventies. Then I realized that my limited guitar skills shouldn't stop me from starting a band.

The rest was history....

http://www.oranj.com

for me (as a drummer) it was about 3 or 4 years ago when i used to ride bikes with this one kid who really wasn't very good but was like 3 years older than me but one day i saw his band play and he was on this huge kit with double bass and all these cymbals and he was just bashing the fuck out of it and spinning his sticks and making funny as hell faces, and that just made me think of how fucking fun it must be to sit behind this big badass kit and just play it to hell.

also watching john bonham sitting on his drum stool, drunk, playing moby dick and crossing his arms all over the place. that really got me going

.....bonham

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I don't really have one, either, like NMc said. There could be any number, from when I first heard the Van Halen I album, or when I got my hands on an Allan Holdsworth album.

Same thing for the bass guitar.

Jeez. I remember walking to band practice one day. I was the lead singer, and the guitarist was teaching me how to play guitar... not an easy task. I had my lil' Radio Shack transistor radio with me.

The DJ announced a new release... and proceded to play VH's "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me".

I stopped walking... and after trying to comprehend what the hell just happened, I looked at my guitar case and said, out loud... "Gawd... I should just give it up right now."

Maybe a "anti-defining moment"? All I know is, I was depressed as hell for days. But I ended up sticking with it.

Later, another singer was brought in, and I was eventually fired for not learning guitar fast enough. :(

Years later, the guitarist that first taught me showed up at a gig I was doing. He walked up to me between sets, shook my hand, and said. "Dude... you totally rock." :D

Before all this happened, I remember falling in love with ELO's version of "Roll Over Beethoven: That was a blast... :)

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Early 70's. Heard Allman Bros. "Live At The Fillmore" and was blown away. Saved all my paychecks from my after-school dishwashing job for 15 weeks and bought a Les Paul. Played in a garage band for the next 5 years and realized I'd always be broke if I did this for a living. Now I play in a band just for the fun of it... produce television content for a living. And I have to say that "Live At The Fillmore" is still one of my all-time favorite albums. :D

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Archived