Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles, my amp is beginning to make a funny noise that occurs once in a while. I'm plugged straight into my Fender Deluxe Reverb's Vibrato channel with the volume on 3.

The noise sounds like a wind is blowing through the amp. What I mean by that is the amp is putting out a sound that is reminiscent of a windy day. Weird huh? When I try to play with it, my guitar is barely audible. Is it picking up some interference of some sort, or am I going to have a problem on my hands soon?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Myles, my amp is beginning to make a funny noise that occurs once in a while. I'm plugged straight into my Fender Deluxe Reverb's Vibrato channel with the volume on 3.

The noise sounds like a wind is blowing through the amp. What I mean by that is the amp is putting out a sound that is reminiscent of a windy day. Weird huh? When I try to play with it, my guitar is barely audible. Is it picking up some interference of some sort, or am I going to have a problem on my hands soon?

Check your preamp tubes and replace one that is probably bad.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Would it be a problem if I had previously removed the 12ax7 in the V1 pos.?

On another note, How would I systematically check which tube is the problem?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Take 1 known good 12AX7 and try it in each position replacing the tube that is currently there. One position at a time. Don't try to rush things.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Okay, thanks Myles, but for arguments sake, let's say it's the phase inverter. Would I have to replace the power tubes, or is it only when replacing the power tubes you change the PI?

Okay, thanks Myles, but for arguments sake, let's say it's the phase inverter. Would I have to replace the power tubes, or is it only when replacing the power tubes you change the PI?

You do not have to change power tubes when changing the phase inverter.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I play through a Valve Junior head and an 8 ohm 12 inch cabinet. I just picked up an additional 8 ohm 12 inch cabinet and was wondering if I can use a 1/4 inch splitter with 2 female ends, plugged into the 4 ohm output on the VJ, then into the 2 8 ohm cabs. I'm assuming the splitter would put the cabs in parallel. What do you think?

Thank You

Anthony

Hi Myles,

I play through a Valve Junior head and an 8 ohm 12 inch cabinet. I just picked up an additional 8 ohm 12 inch cabinet and was wondering if I can use a 1/4 inch splitter with 2 female ends, plugged into the 4 ohm output on the VJ, then into the 2 8 ohm cabs. I'm assuming the splitter would put the cabs in parallel. What do you think?

Thank You

Anthony

The splitter will put the cabs in parallel.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I'm back on the road again to getting another amp. The '94 Fender Concert that I got on ebay was damaged and they are going to refund me, so here I go again. I am going to get used, cause I can get more amp for the $$. I am looking at the Yamaha T50C (Soldano designed), the Seymour Duncan Convertible (60 or 100 watt, either one), and the Carvin X30 or X60. I have played each one, so sonically, I know what I am getting. Do you have any thoughts on any of these, good, bad, or indifferent? Reliability, potential problems, things to look out for, etc. Thanks and have a great holiday.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Myles, I'm back on the road again to getting another amp. The '94 Fender Concert that I got on ebay was damaged and they are going to refund me, so here I go again. I am going to get used, cause I can get more amp for the $$. I am looking at the Yamaha T50C (Soldano designed), the Seymour Duncan Convertible (60 or 100 watt, either one), and the Carvin X30 or X60. I have played each one, so sonically, I know what I am getting. Do you have any thoughts on any of these, good, bad, or indifferent? Reliability, potential problems, things to look out for, etc. Thanks and have a great holiday.

It will all boil down to personal taste but the Duncan amps can have reliability issues and the modules on the convertible are hard to find .... Westwood Music in West L.A. was the only place I ever saw any and that was years ago.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

It will all boil down to personal taste but the Duncan amps can have reliability issues and the modules on the convertible are hard to find .... Westwood Music in West L.A. was the only place I ever saw any and that was years ago.

Throwing my two-cents in here, of two people I've talked to in person over the years who had used those SD Convertible amps, both used them in gigging cover bands and BOTH cited reliability issues, and then some.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Throwing my two-cents in here, of two people I've talked to in person over the years who had used those SD Convertible amps, both used them in gigging cover bands and BOTH cited reliability issues, and then some.

Thank you both, Myles & Cav.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I am new to GP forums and I am very excited about the resource. I own a 1985 Laney AOR 100. 4 EL84's and 4 12AX7's. How many hours do you think at medium to loud volumes I can go before I should replace the tubes? What replacement tubes might you recommend for a vintage or classic clean tone. Thanks for your time!
Scott W

I am new to GP forums and I am very excited about the resource. I own a 1985 Laney AOR 100. 4 EL84's and 4 12AX7's. How many hours do you think at medium to loud volumes I can go before I should replace the tubes? What replacement tubes might you recommend for a vintage or classic clean tone. Thanks for your time!

Preamp tubes will generally last years.

EL84's on cathode biased amps I replace every 300 hours.

I use EL84S in a 5 or 6 rating

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I've replaced V2 and V4 with fresh Tung Sol 12AX7's, and I put a working tube (hopefull) in V5. (and I had removed the tube in V1 for a quicker breakup, if that really affects anything) However, the problem still occurs (see below). When i lightly hit the amp on the top, the problem stops, or when i turn it on standby and back on, the problem also stops. Is a socket or something loose, or do I need to change more tubes?

Take 1 known good 12AX7 and try it in each position replacing the tube that is currently there. One position at a time. Don't try to rush things.

Hey Myles, I've replaced V2 and V4 with fresh Tung Sol 12AX7's, and I put a working tube (hopefull) in V5. (and I had removed the tube in V1 for a quicker breakup, if that really affects anything) However, the problem still occurs (see below). When i lightly hit the amp on the top, the problem stops, or when i turn it on standby and back on, the problem also stops. Is a socket or something loose, or do I need to change more tubes?

Something is loose.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

LOL, okay Myles, what can I, an amp novice do about it?

Can I butt-in and recommend a good book?

(I do so because it would be plagiarism to copy or quote the source-book...)

How To Service Your Own Tube Amp by Tom Mitchell has some excellent trouble-shooting flow-charts and tips addressing common problems. Step through the one that applies and you're much more likely to locate the cause; certainly with less frustration. It is clearly and logically written and organized.

Stewart-MacDonald has 'em in stock; well worth the cost, you'll likely refer to it over and over again.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

LOL, okay Myles, what can I, an amp novice do about it?

Take it to a tech if you want it fixed fast or look at the post above about the book or go to my website and on the first page you will see a reference to a book by Dave Hunter and get that book.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I recently got a Carvin Valvemaster (Series II) 2x12 combo. It is in great shape and sounds amazing. It says that the 2 speaker jacks are parallel. One is for the internal speakers and one for running a separate cabinet. I don't plan on using a cabinet with it, so what should I set the switch to for the internal speakers? BTW, the speakers are 8 ohm Celestions. The positive wire goes from the jack to one speaker, then another wire to the other speaker. Same with the negative wire.

Myles, I recently got a Carvin Valvemaster (Series II) 2x12 combo. It is in great shape and sounds amazing. It says that the 2 speaker jacks are parallel. One is for the internal speakers and one for running a separate cabinet. I don't plan on using a cabinet with it, so what should I set the switch to for the internal speakers? BTW, the speakers are 8 ohm Celestions. The positive wire goes from the jack to one speaker, then another wire to the other speaker. Same with the negative wire.

Measure the speaker plug that goes into the amp with an ohm meter to verify whether the internal speakers are wired in parallel or series first off.

Where was the amp set as delivered?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I'll have to check tomorrow, the batteries in my tester have crapped out. I take it that whatever reading there is, is what I should set the switch to?

I think that it was set on 8 ohms, but my 6 year old might have switched it. :rolleyes:

I'll have to check tomorrow, the batteries in my tester have crapped out. I take it that whatever reading there is, is what I should set the switch to?

I think that it was set on 8 ohms, but my 6 year old might have switched it. :rolleyes:

It will read a bit lower .... maybe 7.2 ohms or so for an 8 ohm load. The reason for the difference is that speakers are an inductive load rather than a simple resistive load.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Myles, not too long ago, I bought an as is Epiphone Valve Special 5 watt tube amp. All it did was squeel. I put in new tubes and got that famous VJ 60 cycle hum, but when a guitar was plugged in nothing comes out unless the gain and volume are pegged and then it can barely be heard. Any ideas?

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Myles, not too long ago, I bought an as is Epiphone Valve Special 5 watt tube amp. All it did was squeel. I put in new tubes and got that famous VJ 60 cycle hum, but when a guitar was plugged in nothing comes out unless the gain and volume are pegged and then it can barely be heard. Any ideas?

Thanks

Anthony

Anthony,

This could be a lot of things. Guitar cord OK? Known good tubes? (even if new one could be bad).

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr