Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V-Synth XT

Dave Bryce

Okay...

I've been lusting after this bad boy since I spent a few hours entranced by it at Summer NAMM last year, and I finally pulled the trigger. :love:

Anybody else here own one?

Funny thing is I bought two instruments this year - this, and the Macbeth M5. I'm wondering if any two instruments could be any more different? ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I reviewed the XT, and it was one of the hardest things ever to send back when I got out of denial and realized I wasn't going to have the cash for it anytime soon. I loved the Vocal Designer stuff - it got a lot of use in my cover band on 70s stuff.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

I reviewed the XT, and it was one of the hardest things ever to send back when I got out of denial and realized I wasn't going to have the cash for it anytime soon.

Yeah, I know. Your review was one of the things that fueled my GAS. :wave:

dB

After Namm 2006 I had major GAS for this bad boy. I was going through a divorce and put it to the side. After I saw this thread, you brought all that GAS back to the forefront again. I honestly don't know if I ever had a GAS attack as bad as I had it with the Roland V-Synth XT. After reading up on it and hearing it I think I had a musical orgasm. :D Now its back again just when I had forgotten all those feelings I had with it. Thanks Dave :rolleyes::P

Quick Questions, what are you using as a controller for your V-Synth XT? Are you planning to use it in production, live or both?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Quick Questions, what are you using as a controller for your V-Synth XT?

In my studio, pretty much all of the keyboards are able to play any of the modules. Today I was triggering it with the PEK.

Are you planning to use it in production, live or both?
Studio.

The band I play in is yer basic rock band - it wouldn't really work very well there.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by steadyb:

I heard it was originally done with an Arp-2600.

Nord Lead. :idea::D

dB

....sampled into an SK-1 with the MIDI mod.

Seriously - do you have the D-50 card? I've seen the ads and wondered how this card was.

Originally posted by ABECK:

Seriously - do you have the D-50 card? I've seen the ads and wondered how this card was.

I believe all XTs come with both the D-50 and Vocal Designer cards.

As to how it is....it sounds just like a D-50, but I probably won't use that much since I have a D-50, and will probably (hopefully) come up with more interesting things for the V-Synth to do. :cool:

dB

Originally posted by soundscape:

Should sound better than a D-50, with the V-Synth's analog out or S/PDIF out...

I suppose....but I can't say I've ever sat down and critically A/B'd the two, nor am I likely to. I don't usually spend much time doing A/B comparisons (either I like the way something sounds on it's own, or I don't); and, as I mentioned above - the D50 thing is nice, but it ain't why I bought the V-Synth. ;)

Besides - better is relative...for example, according to Dave Smith, the v3 Prophet 5 is better than v2...but there are plenty of P5 collectors who disagree with him.

dB

It should sound "cleaner." Whether or not the D/A and output stage of the D-50 works "hand in hand" to "colour" the D-50's sound in just the right way is another matter...

The V-Synth looks extremely interesting, although Roland seems to have promoted it with various postmodern... "noises"(?)... which are less than compelling to me.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I believe all XTs come with both the D-50 and Vocal Designer cards.

dB

The XT does come with both the D-50 and Vocal Designer cards. Man I'm getting serious GAS now. I thought I had everything under control, I guess I may need to pick one up and then re-check myself in the GAS rehab center. ;)

- Rush

I've got the vari-os (for me) and the vp-550 (for my church). Not sure how comparable any of them are: I'm guessing kissin cousins though.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by ABECK:

]Oh, of course not, but it seems like a nice perk.

I guess...

I believe you actually have to reboot the thing to engage the D50 though, which simultaneously disengages the V-Synth....whiiiiich probably means I'll use it rarely to never.

After all, I can use the real thing much easier...and not have to give up my V-Synth. ;)

dB

I'm really thinking more and more about getting the XT now. As a Sonar user I can imagine the fun when I sync up to Sonar and start experimenting with changing patch parameters and utilizing controllers. The really powerfull stuff will come from using my own samples encoded in Variphrase in conjunction with the COSM and VA stuff. The V-vocal in Sonar doesn't give me much of an idea of what it's like to be able play the phrases from a midi controller. I imagine this will keep me entertained and busy for a long, long time and give me loads of creative inspiration and a new direction to take some of my music.

I'm talking myself into this, aren't I :rolleyes::D

- Rush

I loved the VSYnth when I had it but it felt half finished.. no sample loop imports.. clicks in the loops once they were variphrased, low polyphony once you actually use the thing (I don't think I ever came across a patch that had 8 note polyphony never mind 24) with a lot of sounds having what seems to be 4-5 note polyphony. Also weird memory management...

Great sounds and incredible possibilities but a pain to use at times...

If ROland solve all the above then it would be a great thing to have.. I'd love to get hold of a VSynth 2!

Originally posted by gliderproarc:

I know in theory what things like the time trip pad and Variphrase technology can do

Then you know as much as I do...

how do you use these features in a musical context?
I'll let ya know when I've had the thing for longer than a few days. ;)

dB

Originally posted by gliderproarc:

Say Dave, one of the main things I understand about the V-synth is that it is a lot more then a synth. I know in theory what things like the time trip pad and Variphrase technology can do, but how do you use these features in a musical context?

:thu: These features are too cool... but IMO, Roland has done a p*ss poor job of demonstrating their use.

Archived