Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do your 2007 bookings look so far?

Blue JC

Are your 2007 bookings up, down or the same so far?

We are down compared to the last few years. I don't know if it's a combination of the new anti-smoking ban in Ohio, the terrible economy, the size of our band or what exactly is happening. In fairness, owners could also be booking later this year for their own reasons.

Anyway, it's a big topic of conversation around here so I thought that I would ask you folks how your bookings for next year are going.

Thanks,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bookings for my band are down, but that's in part due to the fact that I'm leaving the band (because I do the bookings, not because I'm so good they don't want the band without me). Once they get their booking act together, I bet it will be about the same for this band.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

My band usually plays about 3-4 gigs per month on average, with a couple of dry months when we take vacations or the bookings are light. We have 13 already booked in 2007, which is actually not too bad. Our business during the winter months has picked up a bit in the last few years.

Regards,

Eric

The first quarter is very slow at the moment. Once we hit spring, it's looking pretty good through the remainder of the year.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I have two bookings for January. I have several venues where I am given several jobs in bulk (if you know what I mean). I really love last minute work and since I am basically retired I am always available.

About 90 percent or more of my work is solo. I find solo work more demanding and as I get older I find it more and more difficult to find subs for jobs where I am double booked. I could have worked three jobs on 16 Dec but turned two jobs away.

I'm good for about 30 jobs a year. While I only have two jobs booked at the moment for 2007, I know others will come - many at the last minute.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

After a reasonably productive December (about a half-dozen gigs, plus or minus one), my band has zero gigs booked in January, two in February, and one in March. That's all she wrote for now.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

We just finished our last booked gig yesterday, albeit a nice one. This was a corporate party held at our nearby House of Blues. We have nothing scheduled from here out. Although our agent has some leads and we are negotiating with the place where we have played once a month, nothing is firm. We work the same territory as BlueJC and I think he is right, bad economy and the newly minted no smoking law have got bar owners really paranoid. Hope this picks up soon. Then again, I've been around enough to know that dry spells happen even to the best.

I am booked every weekend in Jan 07 Feb is week as I only have 2 dates but I have about 6 in March. I need some Feb work and hope to add some dates this month. Many of the clubs I play book quarterly and so the first week of Dec is the time to hit them up.

We seem to get two or three dates out of every club we play so I am not worried. We just need some new venues.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I just found out that a club where we played twice a month for the last 10+ years is not having bands anymore starting in January 2007 as a direct result of the smoking ban. For us, that's 24 gigs for 2007 that are gone or about 20% of our total gigs from 2006.

The owner is looking into incorporating as a private members-only-type club to circumvent the new smoking law but won't book any bands until his lawyers tell him that this will protect him from prosecution.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Archived