Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Now this is different...

Stephen Fortner

Anderton just sent me these links, and wow, talk about your "object oriented" sound design:

http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/

Video here:

http://dump.geenstijl.nl/mediabase/6566/4a411f04/index.html

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This stuff is really neat. I love to see what kinds of crazy ideas people can come up with. I wonder how practical this idea is...

Say I wanted to take a solo over a I VI IV V progression. Say I wanted a basic saw and pw sound that allowed me to control a slightly resonant filter to give my sound articulation. Lets say I also wanted to be able to mix in a heavy chorus to add interest to my longer notes.

So far, This object oriented system could handle all of that except note input. The wave forms are easy, the filter would be placed between the Ocs and the center (would you call the dot in the middle of the table the output?). And an "chorus" block could be pulled to and away from the oscillators to get the chorus effects I want.

But what about melody input? I would hate to see a ground breaking synth like this be regulated to a keyboard for note pitch and gate input. Surely if they can dream up a system like the one in that video then they can think of a new way to play notes. In the video, they used a lfo to produce the gate and twisted the block to control pitch. That's fine and dandy, but I cant imagine taking a solo by frantically twisting a block around to get the pitch I wanted. And we havent even touched on velocity.

I have heard countless people comment on what a shame it is that synths inherited the keyboard from the piano, and that synths should have their own method of controlling pitch and gate. My trouble is I can never imagine something that would not rob synths of the ability to play multiple notes. Looking a other instruments, the Piano has the greatest polyphony. You can play 10 notes at a time (or would that be 88 is you held down the sustain pedal and played a chromatic run?). Stringed instruments can only play as many notes as they have strings. Most wind instruments and monophonic. Polyphony is hard to push past 10. Even then you are limited to the 10 notes you can reach with your fingers.

Pieces of technology like this are great, but I can't wait to see a new note input system.

GIGO

• 3 months later...
don't forget the original moog was not supposed to be tonal oriented at all. it was meant for beeps and bleeps, fx, textures etc. it was the musicians that demanded a keyboard. it's sometimes amazing how people in western civilizations have a fixation on tones and semi tones.
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Stuff is gonna get outta hand pretty soon. Things like that and the new monitor technology that's gonna hit. we'll be able to learn shapes with our hands and fingers and throw notes on to the staff like mickey mouse in fantasia or something. Total madman stuff. Get one of these to BT asap.

Anderton just sent me these links, and wow, talk about your "object oriented" sound design:

http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/

Video here:

http://dump.geenstijl.nl/mediabase/6566/4a411f04/index.html

What a lot of fun. Its a bit like a sound installation. In one of those the music responds to people moving around in the space. This one requires that you understand how an analog synth works, so I guess its more of a teaching tool.

Archived