Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trans Siberian Orchestra???

DanS

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, without knowing anything about your taste in music, it's hard to say. They do rock arrangements of classical and Christmas music, with some orchestral instruments added to the basic electric band. The players are top notch, and some of the arrangements are quite interesting. They are pretty heavy on the stagecraft & pyrotechnics. Overall I found their show fairly entertaining, if a bit long.

Scott

You were slightly less cynical than I was.

I was about to say, I never got into them because I couldn't get past their gimmick, but I suddenly realized I like ELP and Mannheim Steamroller, both of whom did the same sort of thing.

Double standards are everywhere we look, I guess.

Darren Landrum

Actually I don't mind Savatage but much prefer their alter ego.

If it weren't for the differences in tastes it would be a pretty dull world.

I don't find myself disliking anything I have liked in the past but I sure do appreciate those I didn't like in the past compared to those I don't like today ;)

Darkon the Incandesacent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

I'm going to see them a few weeks from today. I've heard nothing but good things from other people I know who have seen them. I think you should go in cautiously. If you like the classics and Xmas songs with and like hard rock, you're in for a treat.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I'd only seen brief snippets of these guys/gals. Basically they are, to me, the place where 80's rock guitar gods have gone to rest. ;)

I checked out YouTube (as you should, Dan, to see TSO in action), and came across

last year. Was shocked to see that Mark Wood, rock violinist extraordinaire, amongst the TSO ranks. I was wondering whatever happened to him...

In spite of what the host says in the intro, these guys are nothing like "Pink Floyd meets A White Christmas". :rolleyes: More like Yngwie Malmsteen with the Grinch removed... ;)

My friend Kelly Keeling, with whom I've done several tours and recorded many albums, is touring with the "West Coast" version of TSO as one of the vocalists ("Kelly" is a man, btw, and is NOT pictured above!). He is a truly incredible singer, dynamic and versatile. From everything I've heard, this band is absolutely first rate, top notch and ultra musical. My wife and I are going to see them at the Great Western Forum in Los Angeles (an absolutely HUGE place!) on November 29th and are greatly looking forward to it.

Best regards,

Erik

I saw them 2 years ago, and what was great fun was watching a number of folks show up in tuxes and evening gowns that obviously had *no* idea what they were about to see!

"An orchestra from Siberia! Gosh honey, that sounds GREAT! I be they're better than the local philharmonic. Shall I purchase us some tickets?"

...and the first guitar lick roars through the sound system and a light and lazer show worthy of the last Pink Floyd tour blasts on - and you should have seen their faces!

"What the hell have we gotten ourselves into?"

Heh...

But, what do you expect from a town where folks walked out half-way through "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" going "This thing's in Chinese! I can't understnad a word they're saying! Somebody wants me to READ what they're saying? Heck with that, those folks need to learn to speak ENGLISH!"

Anyway, first rate musicianship and I found it very entertaining!

-

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Caught the show last night, in a word, awesome.

One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Amazing lights, sound, & stage show. They made it snow at one point as well. I always wondered what Carmina Burana would sound like played by a metal band, now I know.

If you guys get a chance to go see them, highly recommended.

From what I could see, the keyboardists were using Motifs.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

My wife and I saw TSO at the Forum in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, and we were really knocked out! All of the musicians were excellent, and the two keyboardists, Jane Pitrelli and Derek Wieland were a great pairing. Derek is apparently a Julliard graduate and played with great classical authority; Jane seemed to be more of an R&B / jazz - rock player and brought a lot soul to the show with great bluesy chops (in addition to nailing the classical parts, of course). Part of the encore was a keyboard duel between the two players, done extremely well. Highly recommended!

Best regards,

Erik

I was supposed to catch the show in Phoenix but I got sick so my friend went with his wife. He said it was one of the best shows he's ever seen. He was amazed at the level of musicianship and of course called me an idiot for missing the show.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I was poking around the TSO website and found this:

"Wizards in Winter" contest

You can download a keyboard, guitar, drum, or bass part to their song "Wizards in Winter." It also comes with a complete backing track, sans the part you have chosen. Apparently, you record a video of yourself playing, upload it to youtube, and the best player of each respective part wins some gear.

Anywho, I'm pointing this out because the keyboard download contains a .pdf with sheet music you can print out (sorry, no keyboard tabs :P;) ).

So, if you've ever wanted some printed Trans Siberian Orchestra music (or a backing track to play along with), now's your chance to get it. Enjoy!

-Rich

Wow! Thanks Rich... good spot. How utterly cool for a band to post the score for one of their top songs on the web and then provide the backing tracks so you can play along with it. I guess making a contest out of it is cool too but I'm happy just to have the music to try my hand at.

Archived